Pumpkin Puree Vs. Canned Yams

Kimba, Fred and Henry have been doing so beautifully with a spoonful of pumpkin puree with their meals, and they all enjoy it. But ever since Thanksgiving our A&P has had a skimpy supply of the larger cans, and with three dogs, the small cans don't last beyond two meals at most. Today there were none of the larger cans at all, so I got canned yams instead. Will an equivalent amount of yams have the same firming effect as the pumpkin? Please say yes! I drain the yams so there is as little of the light syrup in which they are packed as possible.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

I think if you cooked fresh yams or sweet potatoes it would be better. I have heard that you can buy canned pumpkin on Amazon.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I checked out the Amazon.com prices. Insane.

Abraham Lincoln

Cheaper, though not necessarily as fast, to buy your own and cook them at home. But yes, equivalent amounts should be fine. You might rinse them to get off as much syrup as you can as the excess sugar might not be gud for their systems if they're sensitive.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest BuckeyeAmy

My boys love fresh sweet potatoes. I microwave 2 of them in a casserole dish for 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender. Slice them up and give each dog a slice with dinner. They gobble them up like they're candy. Sweet potatoes sell for $1.19 a pound here and they last a long time. Healthier and cheaper than the canned sweet potatoes. I've also started serving them with our own dinner. They are packed with vitamin A and fiber and are much healthier for you than plain potatoes.

Well, until they start stocking the large pumpkin puree cans, looks like I'll be a sweet potato microwaver! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Abraham Lincoln

Squash is a good option too. I just roasted a butternut squash today in the oven to mix into the dog's food. :) I usually chop and boil sweet potatoes. Just remember to cook them extra, extra well and to really grind and mash them up or they'll go straight through.

.............and do KNOT feed the skin! It goes in one end and out the other! Amazing how the canine stomach acid can kill salmonella but doesn't touch sweet potato skins!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 3 weeks later...

When I put my Sobe on a home cooked diet when he had cancer, I fed him cooked ground beef and/or chicken, rice, and sweet potato. Without the sweet potato (yam) added in - his stool got too loose and he lost too much fluid. I was crock-potting it - so it was just as easy to throw a sweet potato in as to add canned pumpkin later. Yam is the same as pumpkin IMHO.

My boys love fresh sweet potatoes. I microwave 2 of them in a casserole dish for 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender. Slice them up and give each dog a slice with dinner. They gobble them up like they're candy. Sweet potatoes sell for $1.19 a pound here and they last a long time. Healthier and cheaper than the canned sweet potatoes. I've also started serving them with our own dinner. They are packed with vitamin A and fiber and are much healthier for you than plain potatoes.

Greyt idea-thanks!

Nice idea.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb