Good Teeth Cleaning Bones (Besides Turkey Necks)

Guest Eyeblaura

Wendy gets lamb shanks in addition to turkey necks. She doesn't care for beef bones, the little diva.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I would think anything hard as a bone would work at scraping plaque off :)

our previous (non-gh) dogs had perfect teeth, they ate bones (from the pet store, that kind) and the lab even loved chewing on big hunks of firewood, his teeth were pearly white. In fact it wasn't until I got a greyhound I found out that a lot of dogs have to get their teeth cleaned. I never knew people did that...

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest blueberri

Veal and lamb bones are great, as they are among the more softer bones, but still have fantastic crunch and chew-ability. When Sparky needs his teeth done, I give him a few veal bones and he comes back like a toothpaste commercial. Chicken doesn't seem to do it, and beef, while it does a good job, we've had some issues with smaller bone chunks getting stuck in his teeth/jaw causing some distress to both of us.

Veal and lamb bones are great, as they are among the more softer bones, but still have fantastic crunch and chew-ability. When Sparky needs his teeth done, I give him a few veal bones and he comes back like a toothpaste commercial. Chicken doesn't seem to do it, and beef, while it does a good job, we've had some issues with smaller bone chunks getting stuck in his teeth/jaw causing some distress to both of us.

Do you get these at a meat market or grocery store? I don't know that I have seen them anywhere, do you ask for them at a meat market? I have seen beef bones at the grocery store and only occasionally do they have those.

Beef knee bones?

Yep, I get them from PetSmart. Whether bones will work or not depends on how aggressive a chewer the dog is. I can get away with the smaller knee bones (Dentley's brand). I get five in a pack for about $11. Some people do better with knuckle bones, though, because they're bigger. Henry's going on 6, and he's never had a dental.

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo is 6 and not had to have a dental either. His teeth look good now I just want to keep them that way. Turkey necks work awesome but he has vomited the last 2 tines I have given them to him, not sure why but no other ill effects.

There's nothing special about turkey necks, any large meaty bone will clean teeth. It isn't necessarily the bone that cleans teeth, if the dog has to scissor chew on tissue/sinew that helps in the same way. My favourite teeth cleaner is pork hocks/pork shoulder with the skin on. There is one bone in the centre that doesn't get touched but chewing through the tough skin and tissue does just a good a job and there are no worries for slab fractures that can happen with larger weight bearing bones. This is fattier though so I don't feed any more than once or twice a week.

I can rarely find turkey necks here but I feed meaty large chicken thighs.

Guest Eyeblaura

Good to know, I always assumed it was the bone scraping on the teeth that helped.

I picked up a marrow bone and had the butcher slice it length wise so the marrow is exposed, he should like that and I won't worry as much about him trying to chew through the bone to get at the marrow. I'll see how much he actually works on it after the marrow is removed.

I am able to buy all sorts of bones from the butcher. Some they have out, others they have but not out on display. Just ask next time you are there.

Trachea seems to work wonderfully for us, but we also brush at least 4 days per week. When I can't brush, I give a beef knuckle bone to chew for an hour. I get my knuckles from the butcher shop after discovering that the ones from petsmart are smoked and cause lots of puking afterwards. JJ has the cleanest doggy teeth I've ever seen!

I get my knuckles from the butcher shop after discovering that the ones from petsmart are smoked and cause lots of puking afterwards. JJ has the cleanest doggy teeth I've ever seen!

We had just the opposite problem. The worst diarrhea of Henry's life was after he ate a raw knuckle bone from the butcher shop. Virtually no problems with smoked bones.

Guest zombrie

Yep, I get them from PetSmart. Whether bones will work or not depends on how aggressive a chewer the dog is. I can get away with the smaller knee bones (Dentley's brand). I get five in a pack for about $11. Some people do better with knuckle bones, though, because they're bigger. Henry's going on 6, and he's never had a dental.

I give my dogs knuckle and knee bones too. They love them and their teeth look fabulous. Doolin and Minerva have never had a dental and their teeth are pearly white. Mira is 10 and her teeth also look fabulous because of the knee/knuckle bones. Our vet even asked what we were doing with their teeth because he was shocked at how good they look ( he said all greyhounds he's known have had horrid teeth). I swear by these!!

We had just the opposite problem. The worst diarrhea of Henry's life was after he ate a raw knuckle bone from the butcher shop. Virtually no problems with smoked bones.

We never had a problem with them either

Guest TofuNifty

Enzo is 6 and not had to have a dental either. His teeth look good now I just want to keep them that way. Turkey necks work awesome but he has vomited the last 2 tines I have given them to him, not sure why but no other ill effects.

My boy Bantay is the same exact way. He throws up anytime he gets a turkey neck. :( I would like to try some of the other suggestions but I wonder if he throws up because he is not used to raw?

but I wonder if he throws up because he is not used to raw?

Keep in mind that if your dog was a racer he or she would have been weaned on, and fed a diet consisting largely of raw meats. Most likely beef based though, so if the chicken is a problem you could try some beef or even some lamb bones (shanks are great). Just stay away from anything that has a lot of marrow if your pup is sensitive.

Guest Eyeblaura

I bought a couple of femur bones at the butcher and had them split them long ways for me so the marrow was exposed. He loved it. He worked all the marrow out and then gnawed on the bone for quite awhile after. His teeth look great.

I brush about twice a week but the points of his canines are always a bit yellow any suggestion for those? Maybe I need to step up the brushing.

And he didn't use to throw up the turkey necks so not sure why he has done that the last couple of times.