Fortiflora And Liquid Poo?

Guest RMarie

Guest RMarie

We've been battling loose poops with James, again. We had been feeding him a human probiotic, but after a recent vet trip we were told to feed a canine probiotic. So, I ordered some and we started it the other day. Ever since then, James' poops have become worse. They went from pudding to liquid. I wouldn't say it's diarrhea because he doesn't have those constant urges to poop. He poops on his regular schedule, but the last few days the poops have been much more watery. Is that a normal reaction to fortiflora?

That seems strange. :unsure When I used to give Merlin FortiFlora, it worked great to firm up his poos :dunno It would work within a couple of days. Have you checked for worms?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sounds like he needs Flagyl first, then when his poops start to go back to normal, gradually try the Flortiflora.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Spencer (IBD) never could take any kind of probiotic, including Fortiflora, without getting runny poo. We decided that Spencer got the good germs through his raw food anyway. Iron-stomach Shane does fine with them, on the other hand. I seem to remember knowing of other greyhounds who didn't do well with probiotics either, so maybe you should just trust what you're seeing and discontinue them. The Flagyl suggestions seems reasonable, too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest RMarie

He's currently on sulfasalazine (flagyl doesn't work for him). The vet tested his stool; no sign of worms (though I know he can test negative even if he has them). Several days ago, we started seeing some improvement. The first turd would be firm, but the rest would be pudding. Then, the next day, the first two turds would be firm, and the rest pudding. The day after we introduced the fortiflora, liquid poop. **? Pudding poops don't make me happy, but I much prefer them over liquid poops. I was hoping the fortiflora would be a miracle-worker.

Guest OPointyDog

Does he have food sensitivities? Fortiflora has flavorings (beef, I think?) in it in addition to the probiotics. In sensitive dogs, that might cause a problem. We're working through poo problems here, too, and our guy is on an elimination diet (no pun intended!). No fortiflora because it has other things in it that he may be sensitive to....

Maybe try a probiotic that doesn't have other flavorings in it?

No, it's not a normal reaction to Fortiflora. On the other hand, it may not be caused by it but by whatever problem is causing the D in the first place.

People act like probiotics are going to be some magic fix -- but if the problem doesn't stem from a lack of good bacteria in the system they're really not going to do anything significant.

FWIW my vet used to prescribe Fortiflora but has switched to prescribing Proviable DC and finds it a superior product.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

James is not alone, FortiFlora made Sorella's diarrhea worse, too. We use Flagyl and Tylan with excellent results.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest RMarie

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had no idea that flortiflora had flavorings. I'd noticed upon opening the packet that it smelled like beef bouillon (sp?), but I didn't think it would bother James' system. Although the first few months' doses of Heartguard would cause James diarrhea, and the vet blamed it on the beef flavoring, it magically stopped and James has had no problems with Heartguard since. As fate would have it, James' Heartguard was due today, so DH gave him both flortifora and Heartguard this morning. I'm not looking forward to today.

PrairieProf, thanks for the info about Proviable DC. I'll ask the vet about it. The thought was that James was lacking good bacteria in his gut after being on an antibiotic a while back. He developed a nasty staph infection, which we're blaming on a possum bite. He went on simplicef and despite continuing to feed him the human probiotic, we're hypothesizing that he was still lacking good canine bacteria, so the vet thought fortiflora would help. *sigh* So glad I ordered a 3 month supply.

We had been using NaturVet, too, with excellent results, but since it says that it isn't for continuous long term use, I decided to try Fortiflora. Not nearly as helpful for my three.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln