Like A Moody Toddler When He's Tired

Truman is like a moody toddler when he's tired. He'll get restless, fidgety, and whiny before taking a nap. Especially now that the weather is nice and we're more active, he's really started to become a handful. For example, we went to the dog park twice this weekend. One of those days, Truman ran with another greyhound for the better part of an hour. When we got home, he proceeded to take a bunch of toys out of his box, then had a tantrum anytime Henry walked by. This went on for about 40 minutes before he actually fell asleep. The next day, I noticed him restlessly pacing around and trying to shred mail and catalogs off the counter. Sometimes on long car rides, I'll see him in the backseat barely able to keep his eyes open, but he will continually jolt back awake (almost like he's afraid he's going to miss something).

Another thing is that he's very clingy when he's sleeping. He always wants to be between DBF and me on the bed or couch. I don't really have a problem with this. But the weird thing is that he doesn't like to be "touched" unless he's being "petted." If I stop moving my hand and just rest it on him, he gets upset, then moves away. When he's behaving like this, we call him Moody Blues. :)

Any tips or advice?

Guest KatyC

Aw Moody Blues! How old is Truman now? It does sound like a 'terrible two's' type stage.

I can't think of anything I can give as advice, apart from could it be something to do with a food he's on? Too much protein? Or something he's eating giving him a bit of adhd behaviour? Probably not, but that's the only thing that came to mind!

I hope it's just a phase and he settles soon for you :)

Maybe too much activity? If a dog can actually be like a 2-year-old kid, then that's at least part of the answer. Ask any mom and she'll tell you when they get overtired, kids easily fall apart and fight naps and going to bed at night.

Funny, We have a Schipperke, Hannibal Barcca, who sounds like and angry bee when it is bedtime. He starts banging around toys, shredding any available paper and just acting grumpy. He is six years old, but he really likes routine.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

When Kili starts being grumpy she gets put away in either her crate or x-pen for a nap. If you leave her loose she's bound to just wander around and be a pain. She's less likely to fight the nap if she's put away on her own.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Aw Moody Blues! How old is Truman now? It does sound like a 'terrible two's' type stage.

He's 18 months... so I don't know if this is a puppy stage or just the way he is. He grew out of his crate awhile ago, so we no longer have it up. But I like the suggestion of an x-pen or just separating him somehow. Kristie, do you give Kili anything to eat before naps? I wonder if the combination of being tired + a full belly would help.

Our little Galgo, Lucas (turned 3 on Jan 1st/13) gets all hyper and whiny before he settles down for a nap. He roughs up his bedding until it is just right and that can take a while sometimes :lol I hope it's just his age and that it will improve with time.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

He sounds cute as hell and I'll take him off you! :)

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kristie, do you give Kili anything to eat before naps? I wonder if the combination of being tired + a full belly would help.

I never put her away without something to eat. Either a frozen Kong or a Bully stick of some kind. She might complain for a minute then she settles down and ears her snack and has a nap. She has puzzle toys too but I find the Kong is the only one she can eat laying down. The others all need to be rolled around and then she's up banging it around in her crate and being active. Though I guess that could tire her out too.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

It must be a puppy phase because Lilly does this too, and she's the same age as Truman. I call her Fussy Face when she starts in nesting the bed or stomping around on the toys. Containing her without the other dogs around seems to be the answer.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It must be a puppy phase because Lilly does this too, and she's the same age as Truman. I call her Fussy Face when she starts in nesting the bed or stomping around on the toys. Containing her without the other dogs around seems to be the answer.

Well, this makes me feel better. My older guy, Henry, has always been the type to just plop down and sleep when he's tired. It doesn't matter if he's at home, in the car, at the park, in the middle of Petco, whatever. Truman has so much mental energy that his body has trouble keeping up. He routinely does this thing at the dog park where he'll just lay down and roll around in the grass (almost like his legs are so tired, they're about to give out). But as soon as he sees another dog running past, he'll get up and start running again. Maybe once he gets a little older, he'll be able to regulate himself better.

• 2 weeks later...