Dealing With Nothing To Do

Guest bayhorse

Guest bayhorse

2013020.jpg

Poor dog. It's been 6 days now and he wants to DO STUFF but what can you do? walks are limited, to his disgust, and on top of that we have snow everywhere, and i can't let the splint get wet.

I cant wait to get this thing off.

~ he broke a toe running :broke

Guest Clawsandpaws

In home training exercises that don't take a lot of walking -- like teaching "touch" to an object etc.?

There are puzzle toys etc. though I could never picture my grey using one....

Puzzle toys... LOL. I bought one for Dudley... He cheats! He just knocks the toy over so all the kibble falls out! He doesn't play fair!

Sorry, no advice on a bored grey :(

Road trip? Even around the block? Mine go nuts if they dont' get out or have visitors to break up their day. Sometimes I just load them up to take the recycling place. Jimmie gets the wind in his face, spits on the car and then he's happy :)

Sorry about the sore toe.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Did a quick google and found this http://www.abc.net.au/animals/dog_test/ I didn' have time to look through all the tests but it might kill a bit of time...and you might find out you have a genius...even if he's a little accident prone! Hope the ouchy toe is better very soon.

p.s. My bridgekid Scully always swore that pink bandages made you get all better quicker after he had them for his broken leg :blush

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Ahhh! This is familiar! Our boy doesn't like going for walks anymore, and consequently gets bored inside the house. Even with awesome treats, he doesn't enjoy training for more than 10 mins MAX.

His favorite non-walk activities to quell boredom:

1) Car rides. Even if I don't have anywhere to go, I'll put him in the car, crack a window so he gets a breeze and some sniffs, and drive to the way far away convenience store to get a pack of gum or magazine for myself (or... chocolate bar! :hehe ) It seems to quell the boredom and he gets excited to go.

2) Kongs, even when full of super tasty things, don't interest Boo. He just gives up. But then we discovered the line of Martha Stewart plush toys that look like a branch with crinkly little squirrel stuffies they can pull out of the hole (or the Martha honey pot, with bear stuffies), and while he has no interest in digging the squirrels or bears out, we fill them with kibble and a few other smelly small treats. Then we put the squirrels back in to plug the treats inside and he spends at least 20 minutes on this 'project'. Having a plush toy with treats inside seems to work much better than a hard rubber object with treats inside.

3) Scavenger hunts! I will pick a super smelly and unusual treat and break it into many pieces, then and hide it in boxes, behind the tv, and in other random spots within the house. Then I give him a smell and taste of the treat and he runs around searching for the rest of the pieces. It seems to wear him out mentally a bit, and a nap usually ensues.

Hope this helps, good luck!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest bayhorse

Awww thanks guys, I have tried the scavenger hunt but out of sight, out of mind.....

car rides do magic, and for some reason he LOVES when we go by cows. yep. so long as he can see them up close, he just loves that. I think i will try the stuffy idea :flip

Guest blueberri

What about taping up a garbage bag over the splint so he can have a short walk in the snow? I'm thinking kinda how we would do for a broken arm or leg and needing to shower.

Wow. That is one big bandage for a toe.

If he likes to chew, a long chew takes a lot of time and energy. Time to splurge on something really lasting like a good quality bully stick?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Luna has one of these shuffle bone toys from Drs. Foster and Smith for our hurricane days when we can't really get out for a decent walk.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22476

I just put some of her regular kibble in there before breakfast or dinner and it keeps her pretty well occupied while she tried to get the kibble out of the toy.

I hope your boy is up and at it again soon!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).