After 4.5 months here, Sweep's still wiping out occasionally on the hardwood floors. Is this normal? We have rubber-backed stair treads and area rugs in the major traffic areas, but she still slips once a week or so. It's a terrifying thing to witness and hear, but she hasn't hurt herself (knock on, er, wood) and doesn't seem traumatized by the experiences. She's never exhibited any fear or reluctance to walk on slick floors (we have both hardwood and tile), but I would have thought that at this point, she'd be fairly expert at navigating them. She's a healthy three-year-old, so I don't think there's any sort of underlying medical issue here. It happens mostly when she gets excited/gets up too fast, which is understandable and something she'll eventually figure out, I hope, but just now she calmly got off her bed, walked off the area rug onto the hardwood, and inexplicably got the crazy "ice skate legs." Any thoughts, other than installing wall-to-wall carpet (not an option)? Could nail length be a factor? We got a Dremel recently and are ever-so-slowly getting those quicks to recede, but her nails are probably still a little longer than ideal...as evidenced by the gouges she leaves in the floor during these events!

Edited by ramonaghan

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I've had Nando for a year and a half and he still busts his butt in the kitchen nearly every day. It doesn't bother him any. He still comes running everytime someone rustles the bread bag.

Edited by aomagrat

Yes...long nails will give them less traction.

But...I'd just go to Costco and buy a bunch of cheap non-slip carpets and put them down on the slippery floors. Once she's more comfortable, you can gradually remove them....and they will be a lot less expensive than a vet visit!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Teague still slips sometimes. I also have runners down the floors and area rugs, but he will still not go in areas like the kitchen or bathroom. I swear the slipping is all in his head, he will be totally fine walking on the laminate, and then if he suddenly realizes he is on an area he doesn't normally walk on he will tense up and start slipping and scrambling (even though the floor is EXACTLY the same). I just kind of ignore him and he recovers and does a very awkward walk back to his "safe zones" where again he is magically fine on the same floor surface. :P

Try some Quick Sort or Tacky Fingers you can get it at most office supply places like Staples or Office Max. Rub some on her pads. It will help with her traction. I use to keep some in the car for my bridge pup Clark, he hated the floors at Petco and it helped him. I think they make something similar for dogs but the stuff at the office supply stores was cheaper.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Thanks, everyone! I will continue working on her nails—fortunately, she doesn't seem to mind the Dremel at all—and probably pick up another runner or two.

Try some Quick Sort or Tacky Fingers you can get it at most office supply places like Staples or Office Max. Rub some on her pads. It will help with her traction. I use to keep some in the car for my bridge pup Clark, he hated the floors at Petco and it helped him. I think they make something similar for dogs but the stuff at the office supply stores was cheaper.

I love this tip! Had not heard of it, but it makes total sense and I'll definitely be trying it.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart