Heart Size - Italian Greyhound

My iggy Tessa (10+) is at the vet under observation for possible neurological or cardiac event. Heart slightly large on xray.

Do italian greyhounds have a larger heart like our big greyhounds do?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tessa! What happened?

I'll do a more in-depth search but so far I haven't found anything in the literature. What signs/sx is she having? Cough?Fatigue? Edema? Arrythymia?

Does your vet want to get an echo?

I'm here if you want to talk about it, Ducky.

J

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I doubt it.

Greyhounds have a larger heart because they've been breed for so long to hunt/run.

The Italian Greyhound is a toy breed who does not have the same heritage at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I just messaged some reputable IG breeders that I know to see if they have the answer to your question.

Thank you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jordan, this is another episode like the 3 previous that sent us to the emergency vet in the middle of the night (since September). It could not be determined is this was a seizure (didn't present as typical), a vestibular episode, pain reaction, cardiac involvement of some kind, or other neurological. Vet is leaning toward neurological.

Abdomen us done in October showed iffy stuff: spleen normal size but w/ several perivascular hyperechoic regions near the hilus which are very suggestive of hemangiomas. No action to be taken, pain meds issued. Consider splenectomy. Recheck for abdominal bleeding if episodes reoccurs. The US vet is over an hour away and he is very booked up.

The chest/abdomen was done by my vet in February and there was nothing remarkable other than the slightly enlarged heart. Her only medications have been for heartworm and flea control.

Tessa will be under observation today and I'll pick her up at 3 when I take Pudge in for the re-check of her failing kidneys. Vet is running labwork and will compare with what was done during the previous episodes.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks, GreytHoundPoet.

After having Tessa under observation for a few hours, and after reviewing labwork, vet is thinking this is not a seizure or vestibular. He thinks she has a neurological problem with her brain. This episode ended after 2 hours, same as with her previous 3 episodes, more or less. They occured in Sept, Oct, Feb and today.

The nearest MRI/neuro vet is about 2.5 hours away. It looks like we will just have to ride these episodes out. She hates car rides and can really work herself up. Mild sedation for car rides didn't help.

When we are not home she is safely in her crate. Once I got her home today she was zipping around like nothing ever happened.

tiny hada siggy.png

tbhounds, can you steer me towards some online links regarding the possible hypothyroid connection?

I found this article and will ask my vet about the thyroid test.

http://www.ygrr.org/doginfo/health-vestibular.html

tiny hada siggy.png