Problems Again With Nadir's Bladder

The inability to hold his urine has started again.I questioned whether it was behavioral and tied to Beanie being sick and her subsequent death, but I noticed Friday that he was standing and walking as if he had pain in the groin area. I took a urine sample in Saturday and no UTI was found, which doesn't surprise me. I've starter another food trial because I suspect he has developed another food intolerance. I found this paper that seems to fit what has been going on with him with the exception that this dog's problem was fixed by changing to a hypoallergenic diet, which I did try, but Nadir's digestive system had a very, very bad response to.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852600/

What I'm wondering is how to best avoid him developing more food intolerances. In persons with interstitial cystitis food allergies are one of the causes of the problem and antihistamines are prescribed as part of a multilevel treatment plan. Along with changing his food to quail right now I've started him on antihistamines in the hopes that this might delay another food intolerance developing. I'm wondering though what else I can do to avoid this because if it keeps going like this I will run out of foods to feed him.

Shane did this and an internist found swollen lymph nodes in the groin but no UTI, and aspiration showed no abnormal cells. With her concurrence, we tested him for TBD's and found Lyme (low positive). Between treating that and putting him on Royal Canin Medium Protein Renal kibble (consistent mild elevations in creatinine and low USG), and treating ongoing musculoskeletal pain with methocarbamol (and tramadol when needed), the problem was solved. It appears likely that the Lyme, and maybe a UTI that took months to vanquish previous to the Lyme diagnosis, gave some insult to his bladder or kidneys.

Don't know if that helps you, but there is it. (He had also tested positive previously and been treated for Babesia. I learned that you don't necessarily "cure" TBD's even when you treat them. But at least you handle the acute problems and know that there may be related issues in the future.) Best of luck to you and dear Nadir.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

He has had an ultrasound of urinary system, yes?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He had an ultrasound the last time this problem started. Everything looked normal with the exception of some thickening of the bladder wall, which would indicate inflammation. No stones or growths were found. The accidents have been happening sporadically for a few weeks. I wasn't sure to begin with if it was him or Beanie, but then I started putting a bellyband on him and sure enough it was him. Last week I came home to a flood every day. Friday night I stopped feeding the California Natural GF Venison & Potato and started him on just quail Saturday. Yesterday I noticed he was no longer drawing his back legs up into his belly when he was lying down or drawing his tuck up when standing or walking like he was in pain. Today I came home from work and no accidents. So it seems as in the past his problem is related to developing food intolerances. What I'm wondering is how to best stop or at least slow down the development of new intolerances to food. At this point I know he can't have rice, chickpeas, fish, beef and whatever component (s) of the CN that triggered the latest problem. I do have an appointment tomorrow for him.

Wouldn't you know we just earned our free bag of California Natural after finishing 10 bags of the stuff.

It might be worth cooking for him -- low salt, one protein, one carb to start with, no supplements for 10-12 weeks ......

I hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's my plan Jey. I'm starting with protein only to make sure he does alright after about a week I'll probably add something like lentils and see how that goes.

I'm hoping that antihistamines will prove to be of some benefit. This is from the following published paper.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1476004/

Antihistamines

The central role of the mast cell in IC is clear. Any form of multimodality therapy should include therapy that blocks the effect of histamine. Hydroxyzine hydrochloride remains the most effective agent for the management of mast cell dysfunction. Because of its sedative properties, it is generally administered at night in doses ranging from 25 to 75 mg. In patients who are highly sensitive, doses as low as 10 mg can be used. In the spring and fall, when many IC patients suffer from seasonal allergies, an additional 1025 mg every 6 hours can be beneficial. In patients who cannot tolerate a sedating antihistamine, cetirizine hydrochloride may be a reasonable alternative. The addition of H2 blockers to more standard antihistamine therapy has been reported, but the results are somewhat inconclusive.

I so wish I had some advice! Only hugs and lots of good thoughts to you both right now. My friend Mary, who has our former foster Marvin, was having some possibly similar problems with him. I'll talk to her.

:grouphug from me and Lydia

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown