Flea/tick Collars

Guest Scouts_mom

Never heard of it. I would be really wary of it unless my vet recommended it. I would not trust Bayer to make sure it was safe for our pups.

The thing is, I don't know of anyone who uses a flea collar on a greyhound.

Tick collars--yes. Things like Preventic, which doesn't actually contain a pesticide, I think. But not flea collars.

Even with a vet's recommendation, I'd be hesitant to use any sort of flea collar on a greyhound unless the vet has experience with it on a greyhound.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:nod to the above.

Something like Frontline is much better for preventing fleas.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Tick collars--yes. Things like Preventic, which doesn't actually contain a pesticide, I think. But not flea collars.

Even with a vet's recommendation, I'd be hesitant to use any sort of flea collar on a greyhound unless the vet has experience with it on a greyhound.

Couldn't have said this better myself ! :-)

:nod I feel more comfortable using a topical flea and tick preventative (Frontline Plus or Advantage) and Heartgard for heartworms.

I've heard read too many horror stories about flea collars causing seizures and death.

Guest Niffz

We also use trifexis. It works for heartworm hook worm and fleas. I think it works on another parasite too. So really I think since it covers heartworm too it breaks even.

6mo supply for about $107.

Also I hear you shouldn't use flea collars on Greta because they have thin easily aggravated skin. That's what I was told from the adoption place.

Edited by Niffz

My (new) vet has put Autumn on Triflexis (1 tab per month). It's fairly expensive, but he swears by it.

Does anyone else use this?

It doesn't cover ticks, so if you use Trifexis, you'd also have to get a tick collar. Way too many TBDs popping up this year to not use a preventative.

My guys had diarrhea with Heartgard Plus. Since Trifexis lists diarrhea as a potential complication, we just skipped Trifexis and went to Advantage Multi. That's heartworm (and other parasites) and flea prevention. My vet said it's great against the parasites, less effective with the fleas, so that in warm weather I'll need to supplement with the usual Frontline Plus about two weeks after that Advantage Multi. That means the Advantage Multi really is just being a heartworm (parasite) preventative, but that's okay. Once Interceptor is back, we'll go back to that, but I was just fed up with Heartgard Plus and the inevitable diarrhea on both dogs within 24 hours.

Until Interceptor is available, we'll have two oily-neck events (per dog) each month. I'll live with that rather than risk the unknown hazards of a collar.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)