First Time My New Fuzzy Will Be Off Leash....suggestions?

Guest Isabella

I fully understand them. I just choose to work with those differences instead of avoiding them.

If went to a dog park and there was a small dog I would think, "oh, there's a small dog, I should probably be careful of that." And then I might walk over within a safe range and say "excuse me Mr. small dog owner, I have a greyhound with a high prey drive. We should be extra careful." And then I may, or may not decide to let my dog off leash depending on the security of the fences, park population, etc."

And instead of offering the OP the benefit of your vast experience, you chose to be snarky to others who were only offering their advice AS ASKED. If you're not going to post any helpful advice yourself, then why are you here in this part of the Forum?

There are many folks on GT who let there dogs off leash - even in un-secured areas. Most posters from the UK and Europe commonly have their dogs off leash. However, most adoption groups in the US, including yours I would suspect, have clauses in their contracts stating greyhounds should not be allowed to run free in open spaces, and most people here will not advise against this.

A dog park is not a completely unregulated space, but it usually bigger than most peoples' yards. And most are populated by people who "think" they know their dog very well. In my experience, most can't even tell you reliably if their dogs are displaying signs of aggression or not, or if they are playing or attacking. And one can become the other in the blink of an eye when a pack of dogs is running together.

I won't ever take my dogs to a public dog park just because you can't ever know who will be there or what the environment will be. The risks to both my dogs and other's dogs are simply too great. No matter what your level of experience is.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big dog park fan until Poodle was almost disembowled by 5 small/medium dogs (jack russell,scotty, doxie, cattle dog and ????) I was bitten several times (including by him) trying to save him. Ours is just too crowded and as I said none of my guys have ever really liked it. Just like the dogs at the daycare the labs, goldens, shepherds etc. seem to get the most out of it. I'll gladly take Buddy to a GH only playdate but am not crazy with the need to take him to the dog park.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Capslock

My greyhounds go to the dog park every day, in a city with tons of pit bulls, pit mixes, and generally tough dogs. They love it, and as a result of experience, get along easily and stress-free with all kinds of dogs. I've had five greys over 16 years, and never had a serious problem at the park, and we're talking thousands of visits.

HOWEVER, the cautions voiced by people here are real. Don't just go to a dog park and let the dog run. First, make sure you have a sense of how they interact with other dogs. When you're satisfied they aren't a danger to themselves or others, pick a good dog park. Then, pick a time when the park isn't crowded, go and before you bring the dog in, check out the crowd in there. Make sure there isn't a trouble maker dog there. Bring your dog in on leash and just walk around with him for a while. Let him sniff and be sniffed. If everything goes well, let him off the leash for a short while. Be casual about it, and don't get him riled up. Just let him walk and sniff. For the first couple times, I'd leash back up before he gets to amped up and energetic. A new dog going 40mph is going to get the whole park amped up. Be vigilant, be active in letting him know what's OK and not, and be ready to go or at least leash up if necessary at any time. Not all dogs are dog-park material, and I'd say that's especially true for sighthounds.

Guest Isabella

Ok people, this is my first SIGHTHOUND, not my first dog, I am not a total nimwit when it comes to dogs. I would never consider taking Izzy to a public place if I thought she may hurt another animal, I just am not seeing that in her at all, I have a 10 year old Corgi, a 2 year mini Schnauzer and a 14 year old mini Schnauzer and believe me they boss her around. I would be much more afraid to take my 2 year old Schnauzer to a dog park when it comes to aggression, sadly he is an ankle biter, I have not had a sighthound before and through my reading have read that their recall is not always good. I think everyone's advice has been helpful, I am going to avoid a dog park at this time because I really don't know if she will be hard to catch. I may try a friends backyard as suggested. I am hoping to have my fence up in the next month or so. Her and I are definitely bonding, instead of going to her dog bed to rest she now is up next to me on the couch with her head in my lap. Honestly I was just feeling bad for her because I can tell on leash that she wants to run in the snow and jump around, but she is getting exercise by walking so that will have to do for now.

And to the person that commented that I asked for advice so I should expect to get it.....well duh. If I didn't want peoples opinions I wouldn't ask !!

And thanks to those who commented on how beautiful she is!! I sure think so ( and I'm certainly not biased ;)

Ok people, this is my first SIGHTHOUND, not my first dog, I am not a total nimwit when it comes to dogs. I would never consider taking Izzy to a public place if I thought she may hurt another animal, I just am not seeing that in her at all, I have a 10 year old Corgi, a 2 year mini Schnauzer and a 14 year old mini Schnauzer and believe me they boss her around. I would be much more afraid to take my 2 year old Schnauzer to a dog park when it comes to aggression, sadly he is an ankle biter, I have not had a sighthound before and through my reading have read that their recall is not always good. I think everyone's advice has been helpful, I am going to avoid a dog park at this time because I really don't know if she will be hard to catch. I may try a friends backyard as suggested. I am hoping to have my fence up in the next month or so. Her and I are definitely bonding, instead of going to her dog bed to rest she now is up next to me on the couch with her head in my lap. Honestly I was just feeling bad for her because I can tell on leash that she wants to run in the snow and jump around, but she is getting exercise by walking so that will have to do for now.

And to the person that commented that I asked for advice so I should expect to get it.....well duh. If I didn't want peoples opinions I wouldn't ask !!

And thanks to those who commented on how beautiful she is!! I sure think so ( and I'm certainly not biased ;)

No one was suggesting that you're a "nimwit" or that you had no experience with dogs. The issue with sighthounds is that they can go after and kill another dog without displaying an ounce of "aggression." I have a hound like that. Not a mean bone in his body, but he would chase down and kill a small dog in seconds because he has a strong prey drive. There have also been cases where a dog lives with and is fine with a small dog or a house cat, but when let outdoors, where the animal runs, it triggers that "chase and grab," and they wind up killing it. It's not aggression. It's instinct.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Nope. Not a nitwit at all. Actually I'd say quite the opposite. Because even though you know dogs, you know that this one is different and you reached out for advice. You are to be commended for that.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Isabella

Thank you. I do know that she is different than anything I have owned and I am sure I will have TONS of questions in the upcoming months, I appreciate people's experience, and believe me I did do my research before adopting. She was bred to be a coyote dog but that is why she ended up in a shelter, she had no prey drive. Her breeder put her and her sister into a crate that was much much to small and left them there to sleep in their own waste. When a man came to buy a hunting dog from this breeder he happened to bring his wife who saw these 2 poor girls and had the sense to call animal control. The man gladly gave them up to the local shelter to avoid any neglect charges. THEN this small shelter adopted them both out to a man who was anything but kind to them (they did no kind of application process) again animal control was called and this man said "take them, my house is going to foreclosure" so they ended up in yet another shelter. But this time a rescue got involved and they were fostered. I believe Izzy's sister went to Atlanta, GA. My point is that I need people with experience to help me out, she's had a rough start and there are bound to be issues, and I willingly acknowledge that I have NO experience with a sighthound! So people keep the answers coming, no matter what your opinion, I will listen to them all and then use my judgement!

You're good people Rhonda. Isabella is lucky to have you. You will be FINE.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Another possibility to try her recall... could be a tennis court. Much much smaller than a dog park and no danger other than the actual court material. You certainly don't want Izzy running and falling on that (although with all that fur, she could be just fine!). If she still has soft pads, this may not be an option.

Does your vet have a fenced enclosure that they would be willing to let you work in, say, every other day to practice outside recall? I think someone mentioned this way back at the beginning but I'm too lazy to go back and double-check. :) Or, of couse, use a baseball diamond. We have regular greyhound playdates in local baseball diamonds and they work great for this. Even the spooks can be recaptured without too much difficulty.

I wouldn't necessarily trust her on-leash reaction to be indicative of prey drive. Summer, for instance, is a total lady on leash. A squirrel could probably walk under her with no reaction. Small white fluffies HAVE walked under her. On leash to her = working. But off-leash and outside, she is a totally and completely different dog. She's high prey (yes, I've had very grey savvy people confirm it) and also high pack drive. Anything happens at a playdate, she's the first or second dog "on the scene", trying to murder the greyhound which is in trouble. Rabbits are a favorite breakfast food in this house. :) I would never in a million years trust her off-leash with a small white fluffy.

My previous dogs weren't greyhounds and this is all so amazingly different! I love it but, as you say, take the advice offered here, make your own decisions and, hopefully, many of the stories and things posted in all the threads will help new sighthound owners with making those decisions.

Welcome again and hugs to your fuzzy girl!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

With all due respect, even if my vet would let me I think the last place I'd take my dog to train recall would be a vet office turnout area. My paranoid mind just sees all kinds of worms, etc. pooped out by the heavy load of clients, but I'm sure that is just me.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest tsmith1

Isabella ,

the collective wisdom of the forum, I would say is don't go to the park yet; I received the same advise. I'm in a similar boat as you in that I've only had my grey for 1 month. I have had a sighthound before and I have 30 plus years in dealing with different breeds.

IMO its always best to use caution. Having said that if you feel strongly about going to the dog park, it may help to provide additional information to the group.

"Now that she is settling in she is really wanting to run and play while on the leash ( I do not run !)"

This seems to imply that she doesn't walk well with you on the lease. If that's the case, I would not bring her to the park until you can control her on the lease.

"My question or concern is I have not had her off leash and am very nervous that I will not be able to catch her once in the dog park."

Recall may take awhile, is there something else in that sentence that makes you nervous about her being unleashed? You should have some indications of how she reacts on your walks towards other dogs. With only 10 days with her you may not have seen her react to many different breeds. Do you have experience in dog communication/body language? I do and I still took the groups advise not to go the dog park. An example while unrelated to dog parks is new experiences with your dog. I have a lab/sheperd mix and she always wants whatever toy my grey is using. They both get along great and my grey has never displayed guarding resources?toys before. However this past Monday my grey was just finished chewing on a nyla bone and my other dog cme over an slowly took the bone. My grey was lying down, but I noted his mouth open, hackles raised, and when those hears came forward, I yelled no to break his focus and then called him over and praised him. I have no doubt in my mind that he would have bitten my other dog and rightly so.

"She came from a very bad situation and has some fears, which I have already noticed an improvement in the past 10 days."

Thank you for taking a dog with "issues" many simply won't, so my hats off to you thanks.

You didn't mention, but do you think those fears you dog has would have an impact on how your dog would react to you and other dogs at a dog park?

Lastly, my suggestion is take your dog to an obedience class prior to the dog park. It will increase the bonding btwn you & your dog, increase confidence both of you and reduce her fears. And the cost of the class will be offset by the gas you save on the 45 minute drive.

Guest Isabella

tsmith, She walks perfectly on leash, no pulling, stays by my side but at times she starts bowing and wiggling her behind and I can tell she wants to play. I have decided against the dog park for now until I see how her recall is. I have introduced her to several dogs and some cats and she behaves wonderfully with all of them. She is very shy of people, not aggressive, just very timid.

I started another post asking about obedience training!

Many of you on here are right, I do not know her well enough to trust her in a dog park situation so I appreciate everyone's advice.