Springtime Hunger Strike

My hound is not terribly food motivated, she even turns up her nose at most treats, but I can normally count on her to gobble down her kibble within 20 minutes of serving it to her, and probably in even less time at dinnertime. She's also a dog that values her bedtime and will act morally offended if I drag her out of bed before 8 am, so she can tend to drag her feet at breakfast. The past few days though, she will easily let her breakfast slide until noon or so, although heaven forbid I make her wait even a minute or two past 6 for her supper!

This is my third spring with my girl, and I noticed that she goes through this same lull around this time every year. The same thing occurs in mid to late August. My guess is that it has something to do with her natural instinct to feel like she can eat less and store less away as the weather warms up. I'm not really worried about it, because she's always maintained a very healthy weight and seems to have a strong ability to self-regulate herself. I also figure that if she's hungry, she'll eat. I'm mainly just curious if any of you have noticed a similar pattern with your hounds, where, as the weather warms up, their eating habits change.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest herbsofmine

I have had greyhounds since 1993, not the same ones, of course, and I have noticed the same thing. Every spring we go through a bit of a feeding lull. My current 12 year old, Herbie, is very self-regulating with his weight. He raced until he was five, and he keeps his "home" weight between 88 and 92 pounds. If he's feeling a bit fat, he doesn't eat as much. When he's a bit underweight he wants more food. He's done this the whole seven years I've had him. I just wish I was as disciplined!!

I'm waiting to see if the new adoptee, Duke who is just over two, is the same way. Right now he's very food motivated, but I will see how he does when he settles in. There hasn't been the food change yet this year, but I don't think Wisconsin is going to have a spring!!

both of mine refuse breakfast from April until September, or so... I think it's starting early this year... I already see signs in my boy having less and less interest in dog food (and they're raw fed).... but he will not turn down ANY PEOPLE food.... so maybe he's leaving room for any possible treats... also, I think his age may play a factor... he is now 10 and seems to be showing his age... he has always had a tough time in summer... heat and humidity really affect him and his appetite...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Rocket says you can send any leftovers his way and he will chow down - because we starve him you know......

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest bayhorse

well this is interesting.....I've only had my dog a month, but he has really slowed down on his eating (kibble) for the past few days......I have left the food out all day, but he is only eating about one meal. ? I came on here to see if I should just wait it out a few more days....... or add another kibble to the mix....of the same type.......He is always 'hanging out in the kitchen' or eyeing up the cat food......so i have stopped giving him his daily turkey neck or bone......i just want him to eat normal !!

Guest Doggone

Glad to see that Autumn's not the only one off her kibble. She seems to be an alternative-day eater.......BUT she will "shadow" me into the kitchen in the hopes of getting one of her treats :D.

Having had three kids, plus multiple pets, I learned that missed meals are not fatal. Since she's otherwise fine, she'll eat when she's hungry enough :).

Kare Bear has been the same recently too, and typically the same thing happens every year about this time. I just thought it was because as the weather gets nicer, we tend to walk them, and take them out and about more often. A Kare Bear and Tessie the FUZZZZZZ would never get caught with their noses in a kibble dish or they just might miss out on an opportunity to run to the door to go someplace exciting :hehe

I wonder if it has anything to do with their bodies preparing for the major springtime shed??

Betty Joan's appetite remains normal, but she does seem to get some digestive issues in these transition times (aka "the spring runoff"). We're going through a round of that again. Vet once suggested it could be allergy/hay-fever related?

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!