New Greyhound Owner In Atlanta

Guest Thall447

Guest Thall447

My name is Tanner, Im a recent Georgia Tech grad living in atlanta, and this is my new boy Kota,

216-full_zps3dc8c335.jpg

Hes a crazy bundle of energy, and even though Ive only had him for a few days I know it is going to be lifelong fun. He walks well on a leash, is not spooked by anything, does not dash for birds or squirrels, and is very well behaved at the dog park, he just wants to play! Everyone who has met him tells me he has way more personality than any grey they have met, and that he is gorgeous (possibly half zebra).

0307131957b_zpsba3f4faa.jpg

He LOVES his toys, never wanting to give them up, and has a habit of singing to my girlfriend and I when we show him affection. I have never owned a grey before, all of my previous dogs have been outdoor ranch dogs, so I am looking forward to learning all I can about the breed and trainging. Right now he is testing the waters with how alpha he can be, sometimes getting agressive (growling, barking, and once lunging) when we try to take something from him that he shouldnt have, so I will need some advice on how to curb that. He listens when to NO or a clap with everything else (countersurfing, pawing at the door, etc.), hes just a brat with toys. Anyone who has had experience with that please PM me. But besides that he is perfect and we love him.

0307131957a_zps1fa064c5.jpg

0307131956b_zpsc463d2ed.jpg

0308130714_zps101f268a.jpg

He is gorgeous! You'll get lots of advice and opinions from here. My suggestion to get an overall feel for Greyhounds is to read "Greyhound for Dummies." Yes, seriously, there is a 'dummy' book for Greyhound ownership, and it's recommended by my group to every adopter.

Re barking, lunging: First, don't try to take anything from him without offering something better: a really really good treat that he doesn't get any other time. Somewhere along the way, you'll be teaching "drop it" or "leave it." I can't give you info on that 'cause my girl came to me with no issues in that respect. Also, IMO, it's a good idea to put out of his reach things that are very important/special to you until he learns leave it or drop it. It's the same as not leaving something breakable on a table that a toddler could get until the toddler learns not to touch.

Have fun!

Guest Thall447

Thanks! Im in the process of reading that book, about halfway through it. and yeah the trading approach is what has been suggested to me. I just need to find something he likes better than plush toys, which so far is nothing haha.

Thanks! Im in the process of reading that book, about halfway through it. and yeah the trading approach is what has been suggested to me. I just need to find something he likes better than plush toys, which so far is nothing haha.

If he loves his stuffies, keep one aside and use it only to trade up to when he has something you don't want him to have. Of course, I've always wondered if that wouldn't push a dog to be "naughty" in order to get the treat. Some will say l'm nuts to think that, but I know my girl will ask to go potty, when she doesn't have to go, only because she knows when we get back to the kitchen, she'll get a treat (a very small treat). In order to stop that, I have a rule that I won't take her out for potty more often than every 4 hours, assuming she is not sick. BTW, I like Tanner's name. It fits him.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Thall447

If he loves his stuffies, keep one aside and use it only to trade up to when he has something you don't want him to have. Of course, I've always wondered if that wouldn't push a dog to be "naughty" in order to get the treat. Some will say l'm nuts to think that, but I know my girl will ask to go potty, when she doesn't have to go, only because she knows when we get back to the kitchen, she'll get a treat (a very small treat). In order to stop that, I have a rule that I won't take her out for potty more often than every 4 hours, assuming she is not sick. BTW, I like Tanner's name. It fits him.

Haha My name is Tanner, his is Kota

Haha My name is Tanner, his is Kota

Oh duhhh. Well, your name is nice too! LOL Sorry for reading so quickly I screwed up the name. :) My son had a dog named Kota that he adopted when living in the Air Force in Minot, ND. I should have caught that.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest AngelPup

Good luck with him--he is VERY handsome!! You can also tell he's got quite the personality! We'll be, hopefully, adopting our first greyhound this spring sometime! I can't wait!

Welcome you two. You will love this forum. You will learn a lot. Have fun and enjoy Kota. This is a wonderful breed of dog.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest TofuNifty

Did you by chance adopt from Second Chance Greyhounds? I just adopted this weekend as well!!! :) We should have a puppy play date sometime!!!

Guest Thall447

Yup Sure did, you in the area?

Did you by chance adopt from Second Chance Greyhounds? I just adopted this weekend as well!!! :) We should have a puppy play date sometime!!!

Ooohhhh....Atlanta! I am down there often for lure coursing events and dog shows. If he wasn't retired for an injury you should bring him out to a coursing trial sometime. :) My high energy, full of personality hounds live for it. :)

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest Thall447

He is very high energy, and no injury. I read a lot about coursing and I really want to give it a try, but i want to watch a few first, and have recalls down, etc. Can you PM me with info, or anytime you are around for an event? Thanks!

Ooohhhh....Atlanta! I am down there often for lure coursing events and dog shows. If he wasn't retired for an injury you should bring him out to a coursing trial sometime. :) My high energy, full of personality hounds live for it. :)

He is very high energy, and no injury. I read a lot about coursing and I really want to give it a try, but i want to watch a few first, and have recalls down, etc. Can you PM me with info, or anytime you are around for an event? Thanks!

You don't have enough posts for a PM yet. You can e-mail me at shannon.bridwell@converse.edu

There is actually a trial this weekend in Mansfield, GA. :) I'll be heading down your way Friday night.

:wave Welcome Tanner & Kota! Kota's a very handsome boy!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest TofuNifty

Yup Sure did, you in the area?

My boyfriend and I live OTP, but we're super close to Foxhall and Bouckaert Farms where they do the lure coursing. :) We have 5 acres fenced in but this week we took him to Piedmont Park to see all the people. I'd say we're about 30 minutes out. Are you ITP?

Congratulations!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congrats on finishing up at Tech (GT Ph.D. AE '12). I moved away from Atlanta before adopting our greyhound last year, but I used to see several greyhounds around Midtown and in the Virginia Highlands. The dog park at Piedmont Park is wonderful and is some of the nicest, largest, fenced in grassy space I've found anywhere, and I would have loved to take our dog there.

Kota is gorgeous. And he will keep making you laugh and surprise you with his personality endlessly, I'm sure. We also had some challenges with our dog thinking he was pack leader and growling/snapping when he had something he shouldn't have or when I tried to take away a bone. It got to the point where I had to put on over mitts to take a bone from him and late one night, my boyfriend had a standoff that lasted more than 30 minutes where they growled at each other back and forth. The trading up to something better works with good treats, if your guy lives for food. Additionally, any time there was any growling or possessiveness, we separated Marvin from "his pack", i.e. us, by gating him downstairs in the living room by himself and having us hang out upstairs for 20 min or so. He has always been fine sleeping by himself, but when he was showing a lot of the nasty behavior, we made him sleep on his downstairs bed by himself a few times. We also stopped him from being allowed up on the couch (and he's never allowed on the bed - he's just too big!) with us for a few weeks. A decent squirt bottle from the garden section at Target, Home Depot, etc. is also a good "tool". Marvin only had to see the bottle and immediately gave up what he was eating. Consistency in asserting you and your girlfriends as pack leaders will make a very quick difference. Also, check with your adoption group. Ours was great in letting us know that this type of behavior was very common and provided tons of advice and support.