Doggie Diapers. Any Experience

Frisby has mild kidney failure and needs to drink lots & lots. As a result he has become incontinent and can't go more than a couple of hours between bathroom breaks. He also goes in his sleep on his bed. He has always been totally clean and gets upset when he has an accident in his bed. I have a dog walker who comes in to him when I am at work, but he has always wet his bed or on the floor. I have ordered some doggie diapers for when I am out for a long time and at night. They will arrive on Monday, but I am wondering if he will accept wearing them. Does anyone here have any experience with them and did your dog accept them or just rip them off? I'm hoping they work for his sake and mine.

Guest kkaiser104

The only thing I would worry about is if he would have to sit in the diaper for any amount of time. As long as your dog walker is able to change it/clean him up, then I don't think it would really be a big deal. A lot of people use belly bands for their boys.

I used a belly band with an incontinence pad in it for my boy. He wore it pretty much all the time because he was very unpredictably incontinent ... he never seemed to mind it at all. I just changed it when it was wet and would wipe him off, just like a baby. Wish girls were so easy to handle in this way!

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

The only thing I would worry about is if he would have to sit in the diaper for any amount of time. As long as your dog walker is able to change it/clean him up, then I don't think it would really be a big deal. A lot of people use belly bands for their boys.

Yes that worries me too, but the diapers are made the same as human ones and are designed to keep them dry. My dog walker is fine with it, as she already has to clear up after him and change his bedding most days anyway. So he shouldn't have to be in a wet one for too long. I've had him for eight and a half years and he has always been very clean indoors and gets so upset when he has an accident. I never scold him, but he always feels guilty. I'm hoping that the diapers will help him realise he's not making a mess.

Guest undergreysspell

I use a belly band with an adult open diaper in it sideways . I cut a slit in the top front and the top back of the diaper , then slip the belly band thru the slits to keep it in place. The elastic that normally goes around the legs keeps his little whizzer nice and tucked in so there's no leaks and the diapers are made to absorb and keep the wetness away from the skin. I pay about $9 or $10 for a pack of 30 adult diapers.

I'm sorry you're dealing with kidney failure. :grouphug I lost my sweet Cruz to it a few months ago. Here's what I did for Cruz. I used a well fitting belly band with a human incontinence pad in it. He never tried to take it off and the pads absorbed all the urine so there wasn't any leakage. I bought the generic version of the Poise pads (due to the cost) and got the maximum absorbency. They really hold a lot of liquid and he was never wet when I took them off. You have to be careful to hold them level when removing them or urine can spill out. I usually took them off of him outside or on the vinyl floor in the kitchen. He wasn't wet, but I would wipe him with a washcloth or a flushable wipe before I put a clean one on him. He wore them about 4 months and his skin never got irritated and never seemed to be bothered by them in the least.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

You may find that a belly band works just fine for him (rather than a full diaper, which is really needed for girls' anatomy). While you might have some leakage, keeping the band a little loose (~3 fingers-worth) will make it much more comfortable for him to lay down easily. Remember to use incontinence pads (or half of one, depending upon the fit) ... the less expensive Kotex pads are not designed to absorb the volume of liquid that you need. In addition, incontinence pads are better designed to minimize skin irritation.

Let us know if you can't get belly bands or incontinence pads easily on your side of the pond!

I had to use a belly band with my boy too. Instead of using a diaper I would by the nighttime super absorbent Maxi Pads. I got some funny looks buying them in bulk, but it worked and the adhesive strip was helpful keeping it in place. I would just peel and stick to the band and then wrap it and put the band on him. We never had any issues with diaper rash or irritation.

velcro, my late scottie w/ addison's disease, at the end his kidneys started to go. these were the days before belly bands. i took 2 cheapo baby diapers, experimented w/ the size, stapled them together and made a cumberband- otherwise know today as a belly band. he became so accustomed to putting it on he even let me take the stapler, slide it under and staple away. but i did use masking tape to hold it together. in the morning only the bottom diaper was wet so i would take it apart and reuse the top diaper. it kept our house and his bedding dry. yes, you do need to air the dog out- but w/ a grey a quick wash up w/ a damp washcloth is all you need. by the time the kidneys start to fail usually the dog is generally producing distilled water and one doesn't have to worry about the ureric acid- unfortunately it's still in their system. kidney failure can be quite painful, so watch carefully. for bedding i used a pile of towels that could be easlily washed. he was small enough to fit into a watermellon box from costco. one of the plastic perla beds would work for a larger dog.

While you might have some leakage, keeping the band a little loose (~3 fingers-worth) will make it much more comfortable for him to lay down easily. Remember to use incontinence pads (or half of one, depending upon the fit) ...

Just want to mention that if you leave it loose you run the risk of the belly band shifting around and the incontinence pad being on their back instead of where it needs to be.

Edited to add that is what I came home to earlier and it has happened in the past several times, so I know this from experience.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered a belly band. I didn't think I could buy them in England, but good old Amazon. It should be here in a few days. From what you have said I think the belly band will be ideal and as Cleptogrey said his urine is so weak that hopefully there shouldn't be any skin irritation. I will try the diapers as they are due to arrive tomorrow, but I think he will be more comfortable in the belly band. Thanks again.