Really Dumb Question- Grass Seed

Guest borzoix4

Guest borzoix4

This winter has been hard on the yard with frozen ground, but wet top soil has killed areas of the grass.

We are going to re-seed.

Last time we did it was years ago and I seperated the areas of the yard being seeded. This time, with the larger yard- I can't..

So- stupid question, but I honestly never had to think about it- but if we re-seed, with no fertilizer obviously, putting it down in a night of light soaking rain, could the seed if the younger ones ate some of it in the morning out turn out- hurt them?

Is it dangerious or such should the younger ones ( 7 months old) injest some of the seed?

Would a roll or two of snow fencing supported by poles not allow you to separate one area so that it can be done later?

Couple of rolls of sheep wire netting from a tractor store... a dozen posts and some staples....? Roll it up after and keep it for the next time.

I've used plastic garden fence to separate areas--easier to see than wire.

Don't think the seed will cause any trouble if anybody should happen to eat it. Have had a few bird seed eaters here, and the only one who departed left due to OS, not bird seed. Have also overseeded the lawn (without fencing it off) every year, also without any issues.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Ours will regularly eat birdseed if we accidentally leave the gate to the bird feeders open. No issues other than some interesting poop for a few days - it mostly just passes straight through without being digested. If you're really concerned you could also put a light layer of mulch over the seed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Some include a silicon wrapper to help absorb water and slowly rerelease it. I wonder if it would be better to avoid those varieties.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.