Pooped In The House! A First...

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

My beautiful boy, Vinnie, will be ten in August. Hard to believe! He is currently on Gabapentin and Tramadol for suspected LS. He has been doing so well with his meds and was actually just at the vet this week and she thought he looked great.

Lately Vin has become a bit of a treat hound (thanks to the fiance) and we have been curbing those little treats at dinner. Of course, this makes him frustrated. Tonight we sent him out of the room as we ate, he went and laid down behind us. When I got up to put my dishes away, there was poop on the floor! Not in a pile in one place, but scattered about a bit.

Now, I don't want to jump to conclusions... I realize with LS that this may happen and this would be a first. Vinnie, aside from having terrible diarrhea, has not had a poop accident in the house, I don't think EVER. My fiance wonders if maybe he was expressing how upset he was that we weren't sharing our dinner.. I don't know that I agree with this. I just can't see him doing that.

Thoughts?

I don't believe that dogs poop out of spite. Was he frightened by an extra stern voice perhaps? Of maybe the LS is at the point where he can no longer tell if he has to go?

Or perhaps he wasn't bothering you for food, but trying to let you know he had to go out?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest bernadette

Vinnie definitely knows to go to the door when he has to go, that's never been an issue. He's also very regular- never any accidents.

The last I saw him before the incident he had laid down in that area and then at some point came over to lay down again near us. It must have happened when he moved. I really don't think dogs poop out of spite either...

I guess time will tell...

Dogs can poop out of stress, but even if they were capable of spite (which I question), I don't believe they could poop out of spite. It's not like defecating is under voluntary control... if you were mad at someone, could you?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest rdoyle225

mine will poop in the house hen left alone. I think they will poop out of spite. i had a cat would poop on my bother pillow because my bother was mean to him. it could be

Dogs do not eliminate in the house "do to spite". They are dogs folks- spite is not in their language, they can, however, feel stress causing inappropriate behavior (eliminating, destructive behavior, self mutilating...).

To the OP-have you changed Vinnie's diet recently? Higher fiber??

Guest bernadette

No change. He does really well on the Kirkland food- no corn, wheat. I just love it. The cats responded really well to it also.

I guess time will tell, if it happens again... Just so, so strange as it is completely not something I would expect from him, something he has NEVER done.

I had a mama girl who would poop when she walked. She couldn't help it. She also sometimes would poop in her sleep. It happens. She always looked ashamed when she would wake up and there would be poop on her bed. She was always a very clean girl and it was obvious this was distressing to her.

I don't believe dogs poop for spite.

Guest bernadette

I think my fiancé really is just in denial with the whole LS/aging. It is what it is and we can't deny or stop it.

It is all just so strange and he was JUST at the vet and she thought he looked great- not that I think there would be a way to predict this. I wish I had seen him when he did it so that I could have comforted him. :(

Dogs can poop out of stress, but even if they were capable of spite (which I question), I don't believe they could poop out of spite. It's not like defecating is under voluntary control... if you were mad at someone, could you?

:rofl I couldn't but Gilly Boy sure can. I didn't believe it either until the G-Man came and showed me he can. Sometimes all he can get out is one super tiny little poop ball but he manages to vent his frustration :hehe

Edited by racindog

I think my fiancé really is just in denial with the whole LS/aging. It is what it is and we can't deny or stop it.

It is all just so strange and he was JUST at the vet and she thought he looked great- not that I think there would be a way to predict this. I wish I had seen him when he did it so that I could have comforted him. :(

Don't beat yourself up over it. Aging is a part of life. :grouphug

Guest TheModernMutt

I have nothing to add, but this was a GREAT response! "Could you?" LOL That's classic.

The fact that it was scattered to me seems like stress pooping, or at the very least involuntary. Robin has had a few incidents where he has not been able to control the fact that it is coming out, even though he knows it shouldn't. This has happened usually when his routine is off and he doesn't go before bed, and he gets up in the night to go. It has also happened when he is excited or stressed or anxious, like at the pet store, or once at a therapy dog visit, when I haven't made sure he was empty first. (I've learned the signs better since then, of course.) The thing is, I've watched these happen, and because it catches him by surprise, and he knows he is in a place he isn't supposed to go, he kind of walks around in a squat as it is happening, which scatters the poop around, kind of like dropping a trail. It looks like he is trying to stop it mid poop but he can't.

Robin is 11 and also has some hind end weakness happening. The worst part is that he always seems upset afterwards--almost like he's ashamed. :(

Just give your boy a hug. He'll be fine.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

If it happen again, it could be due to the LS. Peyton has some pain issues in his leg and back, and has been pooping occasionally in his sleep for about a year. He seems to have lost a lot of his early warnings. Sometimes he goes in the house when he's awake and he always seems surprised by it. We have been handling it by keeping him on a schedule and making sure he is empty at night.

Scattered poop is not a voluntary poop. If he meant to go--for whatever reason--it would be all in one place.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)