Dog Doors-Sizes?

Guest kahjul

Im looking into installing a pet-door. The spaces I have are: in my slider, I'm not crazy about losing 1/2 my door. Or there is a spot next to the slider where my husband could put one in the wall. Problem is the wall is only wide enough to put in a large door (they vary in size, but approx. 10"w x 15" t) is that large enough for greyhounds? I would love to get the extra large or super but the wall measures exactly 15"w.

If I put it in the slider, that only leaves me 12" to walk through. We have a pool in the back, teenagers, lots of BBQ's. I don't see carrying a serving tray through a 12" opening or teenagers running in and out safely. Is the 13 x 23 door large enough? The door I want is 15 x 20, I know my greys would fit through that, but that door won't fit in the spot. The next size down is 12x15 or 10x16. I'm just not sure they'll fit.

I had both Petsafe and Ideal Large sixe doors that measured 10.5 x 15 and both Rex and Buck, who weighed around 85# they went through just fine. When I got Buddy at 93# he was just too big and I had to get a 15 X 20, A normal to large greyhound will fit through a 10.5 X 15 fine so 13 x 23 should be no problem at all.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

This is what I have: http://www.petdoors.com/endura-flap-thermo-panel-iiie.html

It doesn't take any special installation and is easy to remove and put back, plus does a good job with the double panel glass of keeping hot/cold from seeping in. It is an expensive one, but in my opinion has been totally worth it. I bought it in 2007 and have never had to replace the flap. It can be adjusted higher or lower using the spacers. When I adopted Rudy, I adjusted it a bit higher for his height.

I have this one, it even has a picture of a greyhound on it! http://www.entirelypets.com/classicdoorlarwht.html

It's 10" x 15" and my two guys fit through just fine. One of them is an AKC greyhound who is about 3-4" taller than your average racer, and we still have no problems. The key is installing the door at the right height so that your dog can easily step through. P.S. Dog doors are a gift from doG. Now that I have one, I'd never go without.

P.S. Just to give you an idea, I weigh 135 pounds, and I've crawled through the 10" x 15" flap on numerous occasions when I locked myself out of the house. It's bigger than it looks!

This is what I have: http://www.petdoors.com/endura-flap-thermo-panel-iiie.html

It doesn't take any special installation and is easy to remove and put back, plus does a good job with the double panel glass of keeping hot/cold from seeping in. It is an expensive one, but in my opinion has been totally worth it. I bought it in 2007 and have never had to replace the flap. It can be adjusted higher or lower using the spacers. When I adopted Rudy, I adjusted it a bit higher for his height.

This is the door that we have and we love it (12" x 23" flap). We had it as a slider insert until this summer when DH shattered the sliding glass door. We got a smaller slider and installed the dog door next to it (it's framed in like a window or door). It works great and now we also have the full slider opening and don't have to shimmy through.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel