Low Platelets

mychip1

JJ was supposed to have surgery to remove a neck lump this morning, but platelet count low and kidney count high.

I know they sometimes have a low count, but I am particularly concerned given that the lump may be malignant. The lump recently popped up and is pea size.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

What are the actual values?

(Pea sized lump could be taken off with light sedation and local, shouldn't need full anaesthesia.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Re platelets, how low is low? And re kidney values, was it just creatinine that was elevated, and again how high was it? IIRC greyhounds normally have low platelet count and elevated creatinine compared to other dogs. Looking for OSU linky on bloodwork....ah, here it is.

Hoping your vet is merely being extra cautious and that all is well with JJ :).

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Don't have numbers....and just creatinine on kidney. They weren't all that worried about that given breed. I will try to get the platelet number.

My vet was a greyhound track vet, so she is familiar w numbers, but is probably being a bit extra cautious because of my losing Jack to anesthesia.

As far as a local, she seems to think it is relatively deep and, possibly a nerve sheath tumor. If so, she wants to be sure she can remove it all.

He had a cut last week, though, and did not bleed excessively or bruise.

Edited by mychip1

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

I think the risk of that being the tumor, I.e. the margins is why she doesn't want to do a local....

He has had the snap test in the past and showed no issues.

Is, just hoping she is being overly cautious given my history flossing a hound.

Sent an email to the office to get the platelet number.

Edited by mychip1

Sending good thoughts. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown