Proper Harness Fit?

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Hi all ---

My Winnie is progressing nicely and we go out and about quite a bit. Still a shy girl, but quite a bit more confident than before.

My question is regarding proper harness fit. Once while visiting the nursing home, I had someone hold her and she quite effectively backed out of her harness!!!! I didn't think that was possible, so I tighened it up to quite tight. She's put on a bit of weight (appropriately!!), and now it is super tight. What is the appropriate tightness of a harness to be safe but not so tight it hurts??? She doesn't like it much now because it is so tight, but I am afraid of her backing out of it.

It is a nice new harness BTW....

She had a fun and full day today, and she is snoring like sawing logs behind me right this minute....:) I've never heard a dog that could snore like Winnie...she could win a prize for loudest snores!!!!

I dip the same fit as with collars. 2 fingers should fit snuggly, but comfortably, between her and the harness. Your fingers go perpendicular to her body.

What brand harness? Greyhounds are built very differently than most breeds, so most off the shelf harnesses can be an odd fit. The Wiggle Wags and Whiskers harness is great for greyhounds.

Edited by Sambuca

It should be tight enough that you can fit a few fingers underneath, but not so tight that it is rubbing or causing red marks. Also remember that the harness material does stretch out some with time. If it's properly fitted, chances are low that she could back out of it. I am also a fan of the Wiggles Wags and Whiskers Freedom harness and/or using the harness in conjunction with a martingale.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Snug- not tight. Watch so that the straps are away from the tender armpit area which could rub the skin raw very quickly. Harness should have a strap around the belly and a strap from the middle of the belly that connects to a wye strap which goes up both sides of their neck and hooks up to the belly strap. The only way that they can get out of this is to stretch their legs straight forward so they can pull the top of belly strap forward off of their neck and under their legs at the same time. It can be done but it takes a couple of seconds which gives you time to get them settled down. I have one from Petsmart which is good - also just got one from Wiggles Wags and Whiskers that is kind of neat as the fabric is soft in the armpit area and the belly strap is set up in a Martengale manner so when you pull on it - it snugs up.

Guest Alysmom

Thanks!! The Wiggles Wags and Whiskers ones look neat....unfortunately the closest retailer is quite a ways away (I can get there though...)....too bad they don't sell them on their site!!! I just don't want her to slip out of the harness and I for sure don't want her uncomfortable...poor baby!!!

I guess I have just gotten lazy buying stuff online :)

Thanks as always for the help....

When I take my spooky fosters out in public, I use a combination of a harness with a martingale collar. But instead of using 2 leashes or a coupler, which I suspect still carries a slight risk of them backing out of both, I clip the leash to the martingale collar, then thread the end through the D-ring on the back of the harness. I don't think there's any way for a dog to back out of that combo.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thanks!! The Wiggles Wags and Whiskers ones look neat....unfortunately the closest retailer is quite a ways away (I can get there though...)....too bad they don't sell them on their site!!! I just don't want her to slip out of the harness and I for sure don't want her uncomfortable...poor baby!!!

I guess I have just gotten lazy buying stuff online :)

Thanks as always for the help....

You can order them on the 2Hounds website. I use one of these on Badger, and clip one end of the leash to his collar. It's fantastic!

ETA: And their phone support is great if you need help selecting the right size, or adjusting it once you have it!

Edited by Kestrel

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest gurehaundo

I need to order a WWW harness as soon as possible. I measured Ace's chest at 31.75 inches. Would it be best to get him the XL or will the large be ok?

Edited by gurehaundo

I need to order a WWW harness as soon as possible. I measured Ace's chest at 31.75 inches. Would it be best to get him the XL or will the large be ok?

I just rec'd my www harness from 2 hounds. Stormy has 30"chest so I ordered the LARGE. plenty of adjustment for a little bigger chest. XL would give a whole lot more strap length to deal with. This is my 2nd, the martingale loop frays after 3 years of daily wearing love the soft velvet stap under the arms.( only on for leash walking-don't need caught-ups in yard shrubbery) This has brought calm to me and my spooky boy. We get in trouble ,I pick up like a suitcase and go

For those of you who use the WWW harness, do you put it on underneath the dog's coat in cold weather? If not, how do you adjust it between warm days and cold days? That's my only complaint with it - it's not easy to adjust while it's on the dog, so we tend to run around with ill-fitting harnesses in the spring and fall when the weather is variable. I don't like that, but we just do the best we can. Is there a better way?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

For those of you who use the WWW harness, do you put it on underneath the dog's coat in cold weather? If not, how do you adjust it between warm days and cold days? That's my only complaint with it - it's not easy to adjust while it's on the dog, so we tend to run around with ill-fitting harnesses in the spring and fall when the weather is variable. I don't like that, but we just do the best we can. Is there a better way?

Yes, we put it underneath the coat. It doesn't get that cold here, but we'll put rain coats on the dogs when it's really pouring. The coat does have an opening for the leash to go through and clip onto the harness (and while that does slightly defeat the purpose, it's not a big deal!). If your coat doesn't have that opening, I can see how that would be an issue though!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl.