Constipation

Guest 2greys2cats

Guest 2greys2cats

Not sure if this should go in the Food or the Health section....

I had posted a little while ago about trying to find a food for my two greys that worked for both of them. I tried Diamond Natruals and TOTW and they just didn't work out. I went back to a limited ingredient diet (Natural Balance), but this time tried the lamb meal and rice. It has been working absolutely perfectly....small-ish formed poops. However the last couple of mornings both dogs (but more so my female) have been constipated. They push hard and the poop is really dry and hard and crumbly. Should I add something to their food? Should I try veggies like mashed carrots, green beans, etc? And for which meal? Does the poop come out 12ish hours after a meal, or 24ish? Meaning, for the morning poop, should I give them the veggies (or whatever else you recommend) in the morning (to then work for the following morning)? Or should I do it the evening before?

Thanks in advance!

-Sandra

Guest ultraviolet79

I was just dealing with the same problem with my grey. I am giving him a big spoonfull of pumpkin with each meal and he seems to be back to normal. Good luck!

Guest 2greys2cats

They do get water in their food for both meals. Pumpkin does usually loosen their stools quite a bit so I'm hesitant to add it to both meals... I'm not sure which meal to put it in. I guess trial and error would work. I'll try the evening meal and see if by morning it helps them soften. If not, I'll try both meals. Thanks everyone!

You might want to sprinkle some Metamucil on their meals until you find something to pair with the food to combat the constipation issue. Some people swear by green beans.

:nod

We feed raw, and bone will make them a bit constipated....especially Nixon.

I sprinkle a teaspoon on their breakfast.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg