Milo Flunking Pet Therapy Class

I thought Milo would be the class star. Instead, he whines loudly for long stretches. He will not perform the commands he does easily at home. I thought he'd do great in a group situation, because he's very outgoing when he's out in public. But I realize now that I've tried to get him to perform commands even in places that he's familiar with, like the dogfood store, that he must be anxious/overstimulated/all of the above.

Milo is a mix who turned up as a stray at a pound. I've had him 11 months. The only times I've noticed him being anxious is when we're walking in the great outdoors. Any suggestions for how I can help him to calm down and tune into me outside of the home, besides lots of practice?

IMG_0228.jpg

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Get him out more to socialize the more he socializes the more comfortable he will become. Also, realize 11 months isn't that long; some dogs need more time than others. He may just need more time to feel comfortable in groups. He is a beautiful pup. Don't give up just give him some more time.

Was it during the very first class? Any time we start a new class, Truman is a little off. He has to get used to new surroundings, new dogs, new instructors. After that first class, he calms down considerably and is able to perform the commands.

Sailor has some if thesame issues on class. I find that getting there early and just throwing treats around the room for him to chart and eat helps a bit south his comfort level. I also make sure we're in a corner since things going on behind him distract him.

Last night was the third class. We went early and gave Milo a bone to chew on while we waited. Plus I made sure to take a place in the middle of things instead of at the end of the line. That way Milo, who's very social, could "visit" with his neighbors more often and we didn't have to wait as long for our turn to do things. While he still whined a little, it was MUCH improved.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Time and practice in all different places - do you have a large Pet retailer like Petco or PetSmart near you? They are great places to take your dog to practice them around distractions and lots of different people and dogs.

Don't lose hope - keep at it. It should all "click" into place soon for Milo. The more different places you take him to the better.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Any chance to get him to perform outside of his normal locations (try a "down" out on a walk, or a "sit" when you're lying on the floor or with your face to a wall or some crazy thing). Some dogs understand the command only in terms of context (person looks at me, stands thusly, says thing, has treat, in this place = I sit and get that treat).

See if you can find an assisted living place that will let you "practice" there. We did that with Lexie before she passed her test. A lot of places don't require a dog to be certified. They just want up to date vaccinations.I am not sure which therapy group you are training with but with TDI part of the test was the owner had to go in another room and the dog wasn't allowed to whine. You may want to work on that at home and reward with "love" No treats are allowed to use during the test. I never understood about having to be in another room because when you are doing "visits" you are not allowed to be away from your dog..lol.. Good luck...Time and practice will work. The hardest for Lexie was the "leave it" command. i practiced it more than 20 times a day with her for 2 weeks ..She never forgot it..lol.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜