How Do We Know They Don't Use Moldy Corn?

JohnF

With last year's difficult harvest, there will have been a lot of less than premium quality corn going into dog food.

Does any one know how they actually keep deadly afatoxins out rather than waiting to see if people's dogs fall ill and vets report it for a recall?

http://www.dogster.com/files/post_images/a000b71177fbffcf4d9951af95428a6b.png

Edited by JohnF

Guest grey_dreams

In fact, they don't keep aflotoxin out in either pet food or human food. They just (hopefully) monitor the concentration of aflotoxin. Within a certain dosage limit, it is deemed as "safe" for human or pet consumption. Sometimes the monitoring is in error, and a greater concentration of aflotoxin gets through.

Another reason I only feed grain free. Then you don't need to worry about all that!

Not necessarily. I remember someone posting about a toxin found in sweet potatoes that had been stored incorrectly. Unfortunately when foods are massed produced to the degree they are there is always risk.

In this day and age, everything eaten, by us or our dogs, could be questioned. What about the peanut butter recall? Or the meat every few months that is recalled? I would worry more about my granddaughter eating bad food than I would my Annie.

>>If you've ever seen the documentary movie called Food Inc, it would make you worry about everything we eat. Not much is safe these days! It's sad. >>

And as I remarked earlier you just don't know what to believe when people post bad things about specific foods on the internet.

Peggy's 'ice-cream' poop has much improved (even over when I feed Iams Green bag 2 or 3 times a year) since I changed away from a higher protien chicken brand to a badged 'hypoallergienic' - just means no wheat as far as i can tell! - one from our big local garden centre. It's got 26% turkey meal, 26% rice, oats, rice, linseeds, lucerne, poulty fat, seaweed, minerals and vitamins.

Compared to Iams (in brackets) There's 21% (22.5) crude protien, 10% (15.5) crude oils and fats, 4% (5) crude fiber, and 7,5% (n/a) crude ash.

Iams large breed Proactive is slightly less protien and fat rich than smaller breed chunks.

Clearly Peggy simply does not tolerate high protien and high fat levels and digests Turkey better than Chicken, or Lamb which is way too rich for her. She goes off a brand of kibble from time to time but i always keep it moderate protein and lowish fat when I change over gradually

A dog of Peggy's weight is supposed to need 390g daily of it (Iams almost a third less at 300g). £2.08 ($3.33) per kg as opposed to Iams at £2.33 per kg.

I've tried the premium brands and to be honest none of them work better and some defintely make the big D plus gas. So she's stuck on mid-market kibble plus decent household scraps and plus about 1/4 tin of Butchers brand Tripe to make the boring kibble more interesting.

ANY ingredient can be contaminated: grains, vegetables (I remember seeing a really nasty pic of some half rotten carrots they were putting in food), meats or even the additives which in most cases come from places like China. In fact, that personally concerns me more...I could be wrong, but I am guessing that to keep costs down, a large proportion of ingredients in petfoods still comes from China, certainly many of the grains and additives (remember the big melamine recall a few years ago?). The corn used in dog food, I am guessing, is the same "animal corn" feed put in livestock./cattle food, so I am assuming it is checked under the same regulations.

In fact, they don't keep aflotoxin out in either pet food or human food. They just (hopefully) monitor the concentration of aflotoxin. Within a certain dosage limit, it is deemed as "safe" for human or pet consumption. Sometimes the monitoring is in error, and a greater concentration of aflotoxin gets through.

:nod

One of the reasons I don't eat grain and neither do my dogs.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest 2greys2cats
With last year's difficult harvest, there will have been a lot of less than premium quality corn going into dog food.

Does any one know how they actually keep deadly afatoxins out rather than waiting to see if people's dogs fall ill and vets report it for a recall?

http://www.dogster.com/files/post_images/a000b71177fbffcf4d9951af95428a6b.png

I just choose to not feed a dog food with corn.