Osteo With Enlarged Lymph Nodes?

My boy was diagnosed with osteo in his front left shoulder in December. He is on pain management only, and is doing okay so far. I noticed last week that his axillary lymph nodes (by his armpits (do dogs have armpits? legpits??)) were swollen. At first, I only noticed it on the side with the osteo, but after watching and looking at him, I could tell both sides were enlarged. Today, I noticed his sub mandibular lymph nodes are also swollen; all four of the nodes are easily visibly swollen. I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't be so unlucky as to get lymphoma on top of osteo, right? I read that osteo can metastasize to lymph nodes, but it doesn't appear to be very common (~5% in humans). I have a call in to my vet about this, but was curious if anyone here had experience with this.

Edited by Valencia

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

I don't have any insight to your question about possible metastasis to lymph nodes, but I do want to send my best wishes to you and your boy.

Also, I'll mention that often disease progression is different between dogs and humans, but as far as I know (and I have researched canine osteo a fair amount), this would be a very rare progression of osteo in hounds as well.

Have you considered that he might have an infection of some sort? Even though he isn't on chemo, I think that simply fighting against osteo is enough to leave them more susceptible to infection.

I wish you and your boy all the best.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Pinky's lymph nodes swelled up when she developed hypertrophic osteopathy :(

There is something at work causing his body to try to fight it. Could just be progression of the osteo itself, or perhaps lung mets :( Could be something unrelated to the osteo, but the fact that he has osteo makes it harder to fight off whatever it is.

I'd say a vet visit is definitely in order.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My vet called back, since both sets of lymph nodes are swollen, it's likely something more serious than a run of the mill infection (which would be hard to come by anyhow, since we don't see other dogs or go anywhere). She said it was mostly likely either the osteo metastisizing or lymphoma, but would require a fna to diagnose. But, since he has the osteo, it's not like testing will change the course of treatment. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the weekend. i just didn't know this could happen, and I guess I've been in a state of denial. :(

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Prednisone and enalapril helped Pinky for a while.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My first dog was a lymphoma dog, we had great luck with the prednisone. Stew can't take it because he is currently on metacam, and metacam is the only pain med that's worked for him (the others have made him vomit regularly). Thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate it.

GTSig.jpg

Thank you, Wendy. I know it's a much less common progression, but this is also the dog that once got a kong stuck on the end of his chin, so we are no strangers to the less than common side of things. If something weird is going to happen, it's going to happen in this house. ;)

GTSig.jpg

My vet called back, since both sets of lymph nodes are swollen, it's likely something more serious than a run of the mill infection (which would be hard to come by anyhow, since we don't see other dogs or go anywhere). She said it was mostly likely either the osteo metastisizing or lymphoma, but would require a fna to diagnose. But, since he has the osteo, it's not like testing will change the course of treatment. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the weekend. i just didn't know this could happen, and I guess I've been in a state of denial. :(

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am very sorry your boy is facing another battle. I do wish you both some good quality time together.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Dante had osteo with lymph node involvement. When I saw that the lymph nodes were swollen, I made an appointment for him. He was battling Lyme's Disease, so I thought it was a flair up of that. Otherwise, he appeared to be fine. I came home from work to take him to the vet, only to find that he had fallen in the yard with a broken leg. The nodes were full of cancer cells. I never even thought to ask about anything relating to that. I was in too much shock.

Gah, this still kills me. I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest bernadette

I am so terribly sorry to hear this news. Lymphoma, cancer period scares me. I have asked about the location of the lymph nodes before but am still wondering about the submandibular. I can feel one of Vinnies in his left 'armpit', but it is only large pea sized- and only one side. Sub mandibular and rear 'knees' I am still not clear on.

This group is so great for support, my best to you.

So sorry to hear about this development. I agree with your vet about the possibilities and needing a FNA to find out. So really don't have much to add other than good thoughts that, regardless of what it is, you still have a lot of good, quality time together.

I have asked about the location of the lymph nodes before but am still wondering about the submandibular. I can feel one of Vinnies in his left 'armpit', but it is only large pea sized- and only one side. Sub mandibular and rear 'knees' I am still not clear on.

Here's a diagram that shows where a dog's main lymph nodes are. But it's much easier to show where to feel for them in person, so I'd suggest asking your vet to help you find them on your dog. You shouldn't be able to feel the 'armpit' lymph nodes in a normal dog. The submandibular ones can be tricky as you have to distinguish them from the salivary glands.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

You can't miss the sub-mandibullar ones on a greyhound if they are swollen; they are small lumps under the jawline, below the ear. Humans have them too; you can feel them on your neck, under your jawline and forward an inch-ish from the bend of your jawbone. (Well, at least I can feel mine, maybe that's not normal :lol )

I'd snap a picture of the sub-mandibullar ones on a greyhound, but the greyhound is roaching on the couch with his feet up and I can't get a good shot. :lol

GTSig.jpg