Zero's Hind Quarters

Hi All,

I haven't posted anything in a while. Zero will be 9 years old this April. Next month will be the 4th year aniversary from when I adopted him. My how time flys. He is my best friend, my buddy, my son. A few weeks ago he got his annual checkup which went mostly well. The vet noted that he has a fatty cist on his rear right leg and his hind quarters showed that he was a bit pigeon toed and possable neurological issues. Zero has always been pigeon-toed in his hind quarters since I adopted him, but it seems to be getting worse. Perhaps an old track injury? On walks his rear paw nails drag every couple of strides, but I've noticed that for over a year now. I do the reverse rear paw test to see if he corrects it, which he does. There may be a slight delay there if any.

Lately I've noticed that he occasionally trips / slips over his rear paws. He doesn't fall or anything, just his rear hindquarters droop down which he corrects. We were out playing fetch this morning in my yard and he was being very playful. After playing his hindquarters seemed "tired" for lack of a better word. The weather in Massachusetts has been warm and rainy the past couple days, so I'm sure that doesn't help. On his last vet visit she put Zero on a very high quality glucosamine. My vet says that you really get what you pay for with glucosamine, and this stuff isn't cheap. He's been on that for about two weeks with really no difference. Maybe too early to see a difference.

Anyway, I'm concerned to say the least. I want what's best for Zero. For a greyhound he's very healthy and his vet agrees. He's medium sized, 72 lbs., his teeth are in excellent condition which the vet noted. I brush them daily. He's also got good muscle tone. I pray this hind quarter thing doesn't quickly decline. I'll keep you all posted. Have any of you had simillar experiences?

Sincerely,

Zero's Daddy

P.S.: I'll post a recent photo of him tonight

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

might be LS, but might not, it's an easy test. Fletcher has many of the same symptoms you describe, it's like he has "weak ankles". He does not have LS, but arthritis which slowly gets worse. He has been on supplements for a few years, and started acupuncture with TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) which has really helped him a lot. Supplements and herbs can take up to 6 weeks to show real results, so give it a little more time. They do help.

http://www.greythealth.com/lumbosacral.html

Might be LS. Maybe ask for a referral to a neuro just to see what s/he thinks?

Yikes, I hope not. I forwarded article to my vet. Thanks for the info.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest mysymba

Symba experiences this as well...but our vet also says arthritis and he is quite healthy 100 pound greyhound....may I ask what is the name of the glucosamine your vet prescribed? It does take awhile for supplements to kick in unfortunately....hoping and praying it is just arthrities....Zero is just gorgeous..............

I know you from our walks!!

Robin has some rear end weakness like you describe. When he gets tired on a walk, he starts dragging his feet more, and if he stands still for too long his back end starts to droop. My vet did an exam and he felt that it was not neurological, but more "structural". Meaning, when he did the "flip over the back foot" test, he sensed it instantly (neurologically sound), but couldn't get it over very quickly (something structural). He felt that Robin's arthritis may have spread into his back.

Robin's arthritis showed up three years ago, when he was 9. It started in his right wrist. By now, it appears to be in his back, hips, and wrists. Back then, I started Robin on Get Up and Go glucosamine supplements from the greyhound gang. It took two months, but all of a sudden, Robin was doing zoomies again and bounding around in a way I realized he hadn't in quite a while. I hadn't even noticed the lack of energy/mobility until it was back. It was wonderful. Over the past three years, we have occasionally tried cheaper human-versions of the glucosamine, and I noticed it wasn't working nearly as well. Now we are back on the Get Up and Go, and we've added Grizzly Salmon Oil, and Robin is much better. The rear end weakness is still there right now, but the overall is better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it could be arthritis in his back. And consider the Get Up and Go supplements. They are completely pure, and reasonably priced too! I'm not going back to anything else--this definitely works.

Next time we're on a GA walk together, we will have to get the boys together and compare butts! I mean rear ends......

Cathy

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest IrskasMom

My,my,my Time sure flys . I never thought you would say , the Things I just read and always wondered how you two get along. That is really awsome to read. I don't have any advice for you , but sending you lots of gentle Hugs for your bf, buddy and Son. Good to see you here.

Yeah, we would like to see some Pictures of this handsome Boy ,

Edited by IrskasMom

Symba experiences this as well...but our vet also says arthritis and he is quite healthy 100 pound greyhound....may I ask what is the name of the glucosamine your vet prescribed? It does take awhile for supplements to kick in unfortunately....hoping and praying it is just arthrities....Zero is just gorgeous..............

Dasuquin by Nutramax

We had a real good walk last night and this morning, short, but he was trotting well. Walks weren't long....1/4 - 1/2 mile, but he seemed happy.

Robin has some rear end weakness like you describe. When he gets tired on a walk, he starts dragging his feet more, and if he stands still for too long his back end starts to droop. My vet did an exam and he felt that it was not neurological, but more "structural". Meaning, when he did the "flip over the back foot" test, he sensed it instantly (neurologically sound), but couldn't get it over very quickly (something structural). He felt that Robin's arthritis may have spread into his back.

Robin's arthritis showed up three years ago, when he was 9. It started in his right wrist. By now, it appears to be in his back, hips, and wrists. Back then, I started Robin on Get Up and Go glucosamine supplements from the greyhound gang. It took two months, but all of a sudden, Robin was doing zoomies again and bounding around in a way I realized he hadn't in quite a while. I hadn't even noticed the lack of energy/mobility until it was back. It was wonderful. Over the past three years, we have occasionally tried cheaper human-versions of the glucosamine, and I noticed it wasn't working nearly as well. Now we are back on the Get Up and Go, and we've added Grizzly Salmon Oil, and Robin is much better. The rear end weakness is still there right now, but the overall is better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it could be arthritis in his back. And consider the Get Up and Go supplements. They are completely pure, and reasonably priced too! I'm not going back to anything else--this definitely works.

Next time we're on a GA walk together, we will have to get the boys together and compare butts! I mean rear ends......

Cathy

My vet just made the observation that it "could" be neurological. We're gonna keep an eye on it

Cathy

:) We'll def. have to compare "hindquarters" Thanks for the info

You might consider adding fish oil and see if that helps too.

Riley is a young whippersnapper but already has arthritis in his hips from an injury. He is also on Dasuquin, but he gets a 1,000 mg salmon oil softgel twice a day as well (I drop them into his food and he gobbles them up). I get human fish oil from Sam's Club, checking the label to make sure that it has been distilled to remove mercury. If you choose salmon oil, you also want the label to specify wild caught. It makes a big difference. Farmed salmon is bad stuff.

I have noticed an improvement since adding the fish oil as opposed giving Dasuquin alone. It also has done wonders for his coat.

The Dasuquin (like most joint supplements) can take several weeks to really make a difference. It has to build up in his system. Make sure you are giving the loading dose shown on the bottle. Once the loading period is over you can cut down to the regular maintenance dose.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Riley is a young whippersnapper but already has arthritis in his hips from an injury. He is also on Dasuquin, but he gets a 1,000 mg salmon oil softgel twice a day as well (I drop them into his food and he gobbles them up). I get human fish oil from Sam's Club, checking the label to make sure that it has been distilled to remove mercury. If you choose salmon oil, you also want the label to specify wild caught. It makes a big difference. Farmed salmon is bad stuff.

I have noticed an improvement since adding the fish oil as opposed giving Dasuquin alone. It also has done wonders for his coat.

The Dasuquin (like most joint supplements) can take several weeks to really make a difference. It has to build up in his system. Make sure you are giving the loading dose shown on the bottle. Once the loading period is over you can cut down to the regular maintenance dose.

I actually give him fish oil for breakfast adn dinner and have been ever since I adopted him. 1000IU per feeding I believe. I also give him lots of fresh veggies as well