Truman Is Now Trying To Scruff The Cat

Here we go again... ever since I did some positive reinforcement training with Truman and Meezer, they gradually seemed to establish some type of weird bond. They play bitey-face with one another, hang out together. Meezer follows Truman everywhere. When I feed the dogs in the morning, sure enough, Meezer comes trotting behind for his Meow Mix treats. A few nights ago, I witness Truman trying to scruff the Meezer on the back of his neck, presumably to pick him up in his mouth. I immediately told Truman "NO!" and separated them. But the weird part was that the cat seemed to be allowing it without putting up any sort of fight. Is this something I should be worried about? I don't think Truman would hurt Meezer deliberately, since they act like friends. But I wonder if he could do damage without intending to. I'm very curious to know if anybody else experienced this same situation.

I have a ragdoll and he had the same relationship with my last foster. They would play slap at each other withBud (the ragdoll) sitting up on his hind legs to paw at him. Badger (the foster) would try to mouth him like he would the other dogs and it scared me to death. I don't think that he would hav hurt Bud but after that I didn't allow them to interact much mainly because I didn't want Badger learning bad habits before going to his forever home. I think if you make sure to monitor their play and Truman knows not to get rough they will be fine. I'm sure Meezer will let him know of he gets out of hand. Cats are good at that! Good luck!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

My hounds and my cats have comfortable relationships. That said, there's no way I'd let either of my hounds grab a cat by the neck. That would get an immediate "leave it", same as when I see Stella trying to decide between playing with a stuffy or a cat. It also works in reverse -- my cats are not allowed to (literally) walk over the dogs. Given the difference in size and bite strength, it is in everyone's best interest to respect certain boundaries.

But the weird part was that the cat seemed to be allowing it without putting up any sort of fight.

Kittens are carried by their mothers by the scruff, and almost any cat will instinctively go limp if you lift it by the scruff. This does not make a dog grabbing a cat by the scruff okay. This is behavior IMO you want to step in and stop.

BOY TRUMAN IS REALLY ACTING HIS AGE! MY ADVISE...KEEP UP THE OBEDIENCE WORK AND EXERCISE-EXERCISE-EXERCISE. it's winter cabin fever and adolescence, this too shall pass- been there....you will survive, the cat will survive BUT stick to your guns and let him know that is not acceptable under any circumstances. he's testing the limits and boundries.(beware- emily was doing a perfect recall in class. we had 4 dogs sitting in the corners and we were doing diagonal recalls at the same time. mmmm....she decided to pick the little skiperkee up by the neck as she passed him. we all need to be on our toes at all times.) right now while he's testing limits i would keep them seperated while your not there to supervise. has henry given truman a good nip on the side yet? it's their way of telling them to knock it off and behave..it's almost inevitable.

Guest grey_dreams

I have to say that I wouldn't let the dog put his mouth around the cat. I've read in some of your posts how the dogs chase the cats too, and I have to say I wouldn't allow that either. I let the dogs and cat interact but only when both are calm. Zhivaya wanted to chase the cat when he first came home, but I kept him onleash tethered to me so he never had an opportunity to chase. Within a few days of redirecting him, he was ok. If he wouldn't have been ok, he would have spent more days tethered to me until he got it.

Nope, teeth on the cat is not okay. He clearly doesn't intend to hurt him but it doesn't take much for exactly that to happen. Likewise, games of chase can turn deadly serious without any warning at all. Also consider that as your Meezer gets older and heavier, that scruffing is really going to hurt. Scruffing is for lightweight kittens, not for adult cats. If you try to pick up an adult cat by the scruff of the neck with no support from the bottom it will scream in pain.

Nip it in the bud. Clear boundaries will help keep both of your boys happy, safe and enjoying each other's company.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

BOY TRUMAN IS REALLY ACTING HIS AGE!

Tell me about it! I do believe the cold weather is contributing more to his bad behavior. We can walk for 3+ miles, and he comes home squirrelly as ever. It's like walking makes him even more wound up! The only thing that gets him really tired out is off-leash running at the dog park. If we can get through the next couple months, I think we'll be in a better place. Right now, he has major cabin fever. I can tell he's going through a rough time (adolescence, growing pains, moodiness, wavering confidence). His behavior is better on nights when we have class, and on the weekends when we go to the dog park.

Admittedly, Truman is a kitty-chaser, and it's a work in progress. It's not entirely his fault. Our cats have two entire bedrooms in the house full of toys, climbing trees, scratching posts, window-sills, heated beds, etc. that are gated off away from the dogs. One of my cats spends most of his time in the bedroom because he's older and he'd rather not deal with the dogs. The Meezer, however, encourages the chasing. He'll dart around like crazy, and although Truman is gaining self-control, he just doesn't have the maturity or restraint yet. After the kitten runs into the bedroom, and Truman settles down some, the kitten will immediately come out and try again. When I am home, we work with Truman as much as possible. I keep a pocket of treats and a squirt bottle on hand at all times, and I am always redirecting bad behavior and rewarding good behavior when I see it. The problem is, I'm not always there. And the handful of times I've tried to separate the cats, the Meezer either squeezed through the gate or jumped over it. When I shut the door, he cried and clawed the carpet like he expected to dig his way out. That commotion caused Truman to be even more wound up than he was in the first place.

Regarding Henry, he and Truman are best friends. They are very bonded with one another, and they are always together. If Henry is having a seizure, Truman will stand by him and wait until it passes (often giving Henry a lick on the face once he comes to). Henry is extremely patient with Truman, but will, on occasion, give him a correction for being obnoxious or pushy. I am so grateful because Henry doesn't really have any bad behaviors- he is a great "role model." I can only imagine how much worse Truman would be without Henry. Also, Henry could care less about the cats. He doesn't get involved in the chasing and deliberately tries to look away when the kitten is near him.

Thank you all for your good advice. I want the best for all my pets, so we will continue working on kitty training.

Guest cwholsin

Sounds like you've got a good idea what to do/keep doing! I just want to sympathize with you.. I've got a 7 month baby borzoi who is going through the adolescent biz. She's come a long way with the cat, but still chases him from time to time. One time she crated herself for bugging the cat lol!!

One time she crated herself for bugging the cat lol!!

Too funny! Truman gives himself time-outs from time to time. One of my rules is "don't get snarky on the bed." Snarkiness gets you kicked off. So occasionally he'll let out a little errr sound, and I don't even have to tell him. He immediately gets up and hops down to his own bed.

The man who taught me how to ride a horse owned both an Australian Shepherd and a Siamese cat (cleverly named Blue). The dog carried the cat around BY THE HEAD all the time. The cat didn't mind a bit. The cat also slept on the horse I leaned to ride on (a gorgeous Arabian named Casey). It worked for them. I would not assume the worst (which clearly you haven't) nor would I freak out too much, but I think to be safe it is probably best to discourage this.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The man who taught me how to ride a horse owned both an Australian Shepherd and a Siamese cat (cleverly named Blue). The dog carried the cat around BY THE HEAD all the time.

Hahahaha! I would love to see that. Siamese cats are definitely cut from a different cloth.

The Meezer is definitely our third dog. I tell him all the time he needs to start acting like a cat. I wonder if I should seek outside help for his evident identity crisis. Is there a MeezerTalk forum? :lol