I Sure Could Use Some Advice - Twilight Months: Geriatric Dental V Fir

Guest Alichou

Get her teeth fixed. My 12 year old went into surgery for 4 hours this past march to have all his rotten teeth removed. He is the happiest and healthiest I have ever seen him. Please do her a favor and get her teeth extracted. It's incredibly painful for them when they are rotten. Have the vet prescribe a relaxer prior to going to the appt.

My grey also had a heart murmur and I was terrified to put him through dental surgery. I had all the appropriate testing done before I made the decisiion (ultrasound, blood work). When all that came back ok, I made the decision to have the dental. If shes relatively healthy, other than the teeth, it's best to have the teeth removed.

Thanks again for your comments. Silverfish - sounds like you've had your hands full too. Sigh. Formed poop - I can deal with that. Pee and vomit are the smelly, yucky, and staining messes that are not so much fun.

I have scheduled Lucy for a dental during the first week of February. Again, please understand that I adopted Lucy last April - so she hasn't even been here one year. She had a dental a few months before I adopted her - and, truthfully, I didn't expect her teeth to transition from not-so-hot to totally rotten so fast.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your suggestions.

I just had a dental on a 12 yr old and she did fine.

I understand cleaning up. I had Mimi until she was 15. The last year was spent constantly cleaning up pee & poop. No matter what we put down she'd find a way to go on the carpet. And, then she'd step in the poop and track it everywhere. There were plenty of days I came home from work and cried when I saw the mess. And, Mimi also kept me up all night after she'd spent all day napping. It was exhausting and plenty of times I was ready to kill her.

But, I'd happily spend $1,000 and clean up all the messes again if I could have her back.

If I had the money, I'd do a dental.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I'd do the dental and can I assume you have had a thyroid panel done on her? At her age I'd be tempted to do a free T4 and if it's low, supplement (with your vet's approval of course).

Have you done a urine culture on her? Is she going only when you are not home? Heart would do that. It was SA and I put plastic down and a runner over it since she nicely went in one place in the hall :)

Here's hoping he can clean up the canines and they are not rotten.

There is a good chinese herb called Calm Spirit that she could be on every day and it would help without drugging her out. Let me know if you want the info for your vet

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

She had a dental a few months before I adopted her - and, truthfully, I didn't expect her teeth to transition from not-so-hot to totally rotten so fast.

Been there, done that, too. *Sigh*

I think it's good that vets honestly try to save teeth that look good. It would be even better if they had the gift of premonition so they could see which ones would go rotten in how many months time! :P

I'm glad to see you're going for the dental. I wish you all the best of luck with it, and hope it doesn't cost too much.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'd do the dental and can I assume you have had a thyroid panel done on her? At her age I'd be tempted to do a free T4 and if it's low, supplement (with your vet's approval of course).

Have you done a urine culture on her? Is she going only when you are not home? Heart would do that. It was SA and I put plastic down and a runner over it since she nicely went in one place in the hall :)

Here's hoping he can clean up the canines and they are not rotten.

There is a good chinese herb called Calm Spirit that she could be on every day and it would help without drugging her out. Let me know if you want the info for your vet

Thanks Diane! We ran a full thyroid panel on Lucy last fall. Sent to MSU. Clinically, at least, she was deemed non-hypothyroid (and three of my angels were on thyroid meds - so I get it). Because of her kidney issues, vet just ran a super-chem panel. Blood work pretty good for a 13-1/2 yr old. Urinalysis okay - no bacteria, no sugar, still concentrating urine. No badness evident.

On days that I work, I have a pet sitter who lets the pups out at lunch time. Again, there is a behavioral component here - in addition to any physiological. For example, often times she has to potty during the night. If I hear her and don't get up, she will potty in the house. I have to be extremely proactive with her. She is a fragile soul. Still won't make eye contact with me at close range. But she loves to be brushed and that is one of the avenues which has helped with our bonding.

Again, Lucy has one upper pre-molar that has to be extracted. It looks awful (again, I'm not sure why it wasn't pulled last year?). I am not sure about her other teeth. She had several loose teeth removed before I adopted her.

I will ask my vet about Calm Spirit, as he embraces eastern medicine as well as western. All of my senior greys, including Lucy, have been on "Body Sore," another Chinese herb. But I will inquire about Calm Spirit.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Do you brush her teeth and use a water additive? If not, please start now. As in today.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

If she is a spooky girl, a lot of the behavior problems (likely even the peeing) could be solved by an actual anti-anxiety medication like Clomicalm or Prozac. Although it's usually a last resort after behavior modification training, she's 12-years-old. What could it hurt to try if the alternative is having her PTS? As for the dental, I wonder if your adoption group would help you with the cost. Our group knows that seniors are hard to adopt and will occasionally step in to help with medical costs. I understand that this is an extremely personal decision, and you will have to do what you inevitably feel is right. But If she is otherwise healthy, I think there are a few more options to try. Good luck in whatever decision you make.