Adding # 4 ...

Guest SeeJoy

Four months ago today we adopted "Sofie" FKA "Martha", our 1st greyhound, from NGAP. One month later we went back and adopted a "sister" for her, "Roo" FKA "Mangroo".

Both girls were about 2.5 yrs. old.

A month afterwards we adopted a brother for the girls from Nittany, "Jax" FKA "Schooner", is just over 5yrs.

With few adjustments our three pack gets along very, very well :)

Just awesome hounds who fill ours days and nights with fun, love and joy~

(They are all brindles)

So... we are driving out to Nittney this Sunday to adopt our 4th..another 5 yr. old male called "Zoro".

(He is white with a black mask)

Fact is.. we almost brought Zoro home when we went to Nittany the first time. He didn't come home with us... because we felt at the time he was just too exuberent for our shy girl "Roo".

Jax is a very steady gentleman and he and Roo have developed a "good buds" relationship :)

We think Roo is going to be fine with an active addition~

Now Jax knows Zoro because they were turned out together at Nittany..so should I only bring our Sofie, pack leader, to meet the new boy and approve of him ?

Should I bring all 3 to meet and give the OK for the new guy ?

Should we just leave our pack at home and go get Zoro ?

I drive a Ford Escape so we have room for 4..

Thanks in advance!

Wow, brave. I can't imagine going from no dogs to 4 dogs in as many months. We're still adjusting to the addition of number 2 three months later. Granted she's a puppy and I'm active in training so having two to work with is tough some days.

Personally I'd take everyone. Sofie may be the leader but it's a family and you wouldn't want to get home and find out that Roo is miserable.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Congrats! I would say you should bring Sofie at least as she is the pack leader. Ideally bring all three of your current pups however that may also get crowded in your Escape for Zoro's first car ride home and things could a bit tense in there even with muzzles. Personally I would only bring Sofie myself.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest DeniseL

I have no advice....just wanted to say that this post makes me feel better about adding a 3 rd at 6.5 months in. :)

Good luck!! We are going for a visit with our need addition later in the week and only bringing our girl, Thyme. My boy, I don't think, would care one way or the other, so he will stay at home.

Oh, and I'm no glad my friends from NGAP little martha and mangroo are doing so well :)

I brought all 4 of mine when meeting #5. I think seeing how the group interacts is important, if you can do it. I made a second trip by myself though to bring him home. Five in a Ford Escape is a bit tight and it was a 2 hour drive. I bet you are excited :)

siggy2.jpg

Just go get him. Of my original pack of four hounds none of them "met" any of the others before

they came home. Two of my current three hounds do know each other from being in the same race kennel together but

I doubt it would have mattered. Greyhounds are used to living with other greyhounds. IMHO the whole let your current dog

"pick / meet" a new dog is nonsense. Enjoy your hounds and ignore the judgements from people who don't know you, your

situation or your hounds.

Guest BlackandTan

I brought Gary to meet Diago but that was when I still thought that Greyhounds were fragile pieces of china haha! The third I just brough home and she beats up on the boys all the time. Now I bring new dogs home all the time whether it be for fostering or cat testing... Try it out if their is a problem just take care of it :)

I drive a Ford Escape so we have room for 4..

Five in a Ford Escape is a bit tight

Wow! I'm in awe. My Escape usually feels too crowded with three.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest K9Cookies

Are you willing to walk away from Zoro, if one of your hounds doesn't get along with him at this meeting? :dunno

If so, I would say take him. If you are willing to make it work, then I say just go get him and bring him home. :)

I'm so impressed that you've changed the family dynamics so radically in such a short space of time. Kudos to you! It's the Ford escape part that has me baffled. I have an Accura RDX..that's the same size as the Escape and whenever I take my three dogs I always feel like it's too tight and there's always a lot of positioning and repositioning with a bit of snakiness from dogs that never ever show that behavior at any other time. So, how do u do it?

None of the eight greyhounds we've had has ever met any of the others prior to the dog coming to our house to live. In fact, because of fostering and other situations, *I've* only met two of them before they came home. If you're willing to make it work and feel that your current pack is stable and can handle a new dog, then there shouldn't be a problem. Greyhounds are used to living together fairly peaceably.

Not that you won't have any problems - you likely will have some settling in and pack movement in the coming weeks. Maintain a calm leadership role, examine each interaction for what it is, and make disciplinary or reinforcement decisions fairly. There will be snarking and growling. Expect it and know what you want to do in each situation.

Four is fun! Have a great time!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have never taken any of mine to meet the others. I just bring the dog home and we work through what ever issues they have at the time. I've had 13 hounds and did it this way every time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TBSFlame

Just go get him. Of my original pack of four hounds none of them "met" any of the others before

they came home. Two of my current three hounds do know each other from being in the same race kennel together but

I doubt it would have mattered. Greyhounds are used to living with other greyhounds. IMHO the whole let your current dog

"pick / meet" a new dog is nonsense. Enjoy your hounds and ignore the judgements from people who don't know you, your

situation or your hounds.

I agree. I think it is more important for them to all meet if they are of a different breed. If you have a stable pack one more will not make much of a difference. I've never had a problem.

I'm so impressed that you've changed the family dynamics so radically in such a short space of time. Kudos to you! It's the Ford escape part that has me baffled. I have an Accura RDX..that's the same size as the Escape and whenever I take my three dogs I always feel like it's too tight and there's always a lot of positioning and repositioning with a bit of snakiness from dogs that never ever show that behavior at any other time. So, how do u do it?

I haven't had any issues with 3 hounds in the back of the Escape...yet...but then we don't travel very far. About 30 minutes tops. But I can can see your point about the dogs repositioning. Usually one or two of them will lay down. Our smallest perfers to stand up and look out the windows.

It's not like I haven't heard a complaint or two, but never more than a "Hey! Watch where your walking!"

We used muzzles during each addition/transistion and still carry them in the car. You never know who will be at the dog park..nor the possibility of one of ours just having a bad day.

Chris and I don't do much personal traveling so I think our Escape space is doable for 4.

Then, we are accustomed to somewhat tight living quarters..

We live in less than 1000 square ft. and being a 100 yr old twin it is long and narrow. Sorta like what they used to call a "shotgun" house when I was growing up outside of Washington DC.

Dogs don't seem to mind a bit!

Thanks so much for your insight and replies!!

Nittany is a slow 3 hour, or "fast" 2.5 hour drive away.

I think..we will do what we did with Jax.

Get an early start, leave the pack at home to entertain themselves, and return early afternoon with a new friend :)

:)

Edited by SeeJoy

Please don't muzzle your hounds at the dog park. If trouble were to break out, they'd have no way to defend themselves.

We used muzzles during each addition/transistion and still carry them in the car. You never know who will be at the dog park..nor the possibility of one of ours just having a bad day.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Please don't muzzle your hounds at the dog park. If trouble were to break out, they'd have no way to defend themselves.

I appreciate the advice!

We don't often visit the dog park unless it is very early on a weekend morning before anyone else shows up.

Too many un-rulely dogs and un-attentive owners ruined my taste for it early on.

But a couple of times we've had a "meet & play" date at that location with a friend and her 3 greys.

In that situation we muzzled everyone.

Though they'ed rather be muzzle-less, we felt it was better to be safe than sorry~