Help With Nerve Sheath Tumor

Guest Marthiwil

Guest Marthiwil

Good Morning,

My grey age 11 1/2 had a nerve sheath tumor removed about 2 months ago. She had it for years and I was told it was a fatty deposit due to rubbing with a Therapaw boot worn while recovering from corns. It turned ugly and red very quickly and ruptured. We did not want to have it removed earlier because of the risk of surgery. She did well and recovered completely in 6 weeks although they did not get clear margins. A couple of weeks later she started limping. We treated with buffered asprin and that worked for about 1 1/2 weeks. She started limping again and dragging the foot. We took her in and had both legs x-rayed but nothing showed. She was give an antibotic and Rimadryl. She was better the next day and good for 1 1/2 weeks. Yesterday she was fine until dinnertime, and she started limping again. By bedtime she needed to be carried. This morning she was fine. We are only on the Rimadryl until tomorrow. Waiting to hear from the vet. Has anyone experienced this type of tumor can offer what we should expect? Thanks a bunch!

A nerve sheath tumor is what killed my last dog.

His was huge, and it was on his side. The amount of flesh they would have had to remove, his age, and the fact that the vet said it was a virtual certainty that it would come back were enough for me to decide NOT to remove it. I didn't feel subjecting him to the surgery just so it could come back in a few months was worth it.

It's a painful tumor as well.

I'll be very interested in what your vet says, and I'm sorry for your girl.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If your vet us open to other ideas ask them to contact Ohio state & Dr coutos program.

I believe they to have a treatment for these that involve a small

implanted seed of something. RooRoo's Rizzo had this done in 2009.

he never had a reoccurance. He just passed last month but due to other causes.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

My whippet Rickie had surgery for this (on his right back leg) in 2009, the vet did not get clean margins and it came back a year later (I was checking so found it very early). He had a second, more aggressive surgery at the specialty clinic, they got clean margins and it has not returned (he's 14.5). Because of the clean margins I didn't pursue the OSU chemo protocol, but I would have otherwise. It is done by injection into the lesion site (post surgery) and the chemo agent is in a special kind of sesame seed oil.

I was in touch with RooRoo when her Rizzo was going through this and he had virtually no side effects.

He was a wonderful hound, I am so sorry to learn he has passed away.

Guest Marthiwil

Thank you everyone for your answers. Last night was a nightmare and today she is jumping around and acting fine. For those of you with experience with this, does the tumor just come back and cause problems, or was your dog lame and suffering muscle atrophy pretty quickly? I need to have a more in-depth conversation with my vet, but until then any advice anyone can offer, or me things I should be watching for would be greatly appreciated.

These Tumors tend to be locally invasive and tend not to met. They are most often found on limbs making complete surgical margins very difficult. Dr Couto does have a protocol that can be used for such cases. It involves injecting the tumor site with chemo drug 5fu (stablized in medical grade sesame oil). Multiple injections are required to make the treatment curative.

However, I would be surprised if the tumor is responsible for her lameness. At her age she could very well have arthritis that may be causing her pain. Personally, I would continue the rimadyl (remember no more aspirin while on Rimadyl) and perhaps add Tramadol and or gabapentin to see if that keeps her comfortable. The gabapentin will especially be beneficial if there is nerve involvement.

• 1 month later...

Went to the vet this morning and we think that's what we're dealing with as well. I have been having "the talk" with myself today ... she's still running and playing and a happy girl so for now I'm just keeping an eye on it. Today is her 12th birthday and I just don't feel like she's "old," and she doesn't either :hehe

edensleg_zpsda61f2ef.jpg

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

In this photograph, is the foot shown on the left the foot she limps on? Because I think I may be seeing a corn on that foot--and since the original problem occurred with the Therapaw she was wearing for corns, I just wonder if the current problem is a corn rather than the tumor.

I've heard of corn dogs who limp less on Rimadyl simply because they're feeling better all over, and at your girl's age, the Rimadyl might really make her feel perky.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If your vet us open to other ideas ask them to contact Ohio state & Dr coutos program.

I believe they to have a treatment for these that involve a small

implanted seed of something. RooRoo's Rizzo had this done in 2009.

he never had a reoccurance. He just passed last month but due to other causes.

Could I just send a general e-mail over there and ask some questions? I'm just curious about what the process would be to see if it's something I'd consider before I have our vet get involved.

In this photograph, is the foot shown on the left the foot she limps on? Because I think I may be seeing a corn on that foot--and since the original problem occurred with the Therapaw she was wearing for corns, I just wonder if the current problem is a corn rather than the tumor.

I've heard of corn dogs who limp less on Rimadyl simply because they're feeling better all over, and at your girl's age, the Rimadyl might really make her feel perky.

The pic was from me putting in my two cents - not the OP ;) My girl does have a corn though but no Therapaws for her... she feels like those are torture devices and that she cannot move with them on <_< Our vet said to keep an eye on the lump and if it gets any bigger or harder it's for sure a tumor - and it's gotten quite a bit harder since it popped up on Wednesday...

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.