Peggy Is Here!

Guest KatyC

Peggys is finally here. Although in the end we only got her yesterday rather than last week. She seems to be settling in ok as far as I can tell. Although she is pacing and panting a lot still. She keeps pacing with her toys taking thhem into one room and then back into the living room again. Over and over. And also panting a lot. I'm guessing this is normalish behaviour?

She is also nervous about noises and sudden movements and she was really nervous about traffic. She tried to slip her collar pulling away. Has anyone got any tips for getting over these things?

We will be starting the alone training today. Eek! Did leave her for a few minutes yesterday too.

She is a lovely girl! She loves being stroked and cuddled and playing with her stuffed toys. She has already stolen my shoes and slippers!

Thanks

Katy

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures! :) Since you only just got her yesterday I'd say she's just still nervous and unsure of her new surroundings. Many of the fosters I've had have done that the first couple days after they arrived. I'm sure once she settles in and realizes this is her new amazing life she will calm down and relax.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Thanks. We just tried taking her for another little walk and she hates it! She is constantly terrified of anything and really pulls away and panics where there's a car coming or lawnmower etc. She wouldn't even take a biscuit on the walk. Do we just keep walking her or try and go to less trafficy places to start with? I'm worried that she will pull away and slip her collar.

One thing I would suggest since she is trying to slip out of the collar on a walk is to get a harness. And to be extra careful, I've used a harness on some of my spooky fosters and leashed BOTH the collar and harness. That way if for some odd reason the harness comes unbuckled you still have her on a leash with her collar. But then I'm paranoid and better to err on the side of caution. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Yep - get a harness! ALSO - until then, practice dropping down & pulling DOWN on the leash when she tries to get away - it's very hard for them to slip their collar if you're pulling down on it. And it's not instinct to do that - so practice!! But I would get a harness if she's shy about outside...

Congratulations!! (Silverfish on here is also in C-shire, up in Peterborough... she has great insight into these dogs & would probably be worth a PM!! Plus - she's fun!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Sounds like everyone is a bit nervous and this is a high time for her getting away.

Can you live windows open so these noises become an everyday thing? Do you have a backyard you can

practice the leash? Harness is a must now until you both get to know each other. She needs your lead and

a calming voice when she hears and sees new things. "its ok" and a pet. One day at a time. Talking to her is calming for her. I would take her out in controlled surroundings to be safe, front yard, backyard and introduce her to the big world.

Baby steps before the big steps. Everyday do the same thing. All takes time. Good luck and we are here to help.

Thanks for your replies. We have been taking her out on the lead in the back garden. Will just take her down our quiet street tonight then and we will get a harness tomorrow. I will clip it onto the collar as well like you suggest. She is even getting spooked by noises when we are in the garden now which is wasn't as much earlier. Will just try and take it slowly.

Guest sireltonsmom

Congratulations on getting your sweet Peggy. All the advice given is greyt and I'm glad you're going to follow it. Safety first; the rest will fall into place. She looks so much like my Mindy! She also acts a lot like Mindy did almost 3 years ago - and Mindy was a bounce back. It took lots of patience and assurances that I had her back. She liked her crate a lot - kind of her safe place. If you have one, you might leave it up for a while, door open so she has a place to go to where she can relax. Or, alternatively, if you see somewhere she seems particularly relaxed, spend time petting and talking with her there. Whenever she does something you want, please tell her 'good girl!' The more she hears the love and affirmation in your voice, the more she'll do the behavior. My Sir Elton was afraid of garbage cans, then palm fronds whooshing in the wind and other things. It was just a matter of that all becoming every day. Both our dogs are secure, happy and responsive because we kept the calm, rewarding attitude towards them. Best of life with your new girl. She will absolutely take your heart! :ghplaybow

Aww, Peggy is a little bit shy! That may or may not be indicative of her personality overall. Some dogs start really shy and do a total turnaround when they get home, some are always on the shy side. Just start slow and be very patient with her. Don't try to do too much too fast. Panting and pacing is a sign of nervousness, so don't push her to do anything too hard yet. Spend some time letting her get used to your home and routine. Be slow and gentle with her, giving treats and pets if she'll accept them (don't force it). She'll come around in time.

The panting and pacing is stress. Peggy is really freaked out right now. It is super important to be patient and to build up her confidence gradually. You want to accumulate lots of little successes. You really want to avoid any mishaps right now that would set back the process. Do everything you can to expose her to the scary things very slowly and with great care to avoid startles. Walk her at quieter times or in "safe" places, look ahead for potential problems, quiet and calm in the house. And through all of this you must be only calm, relaxed, and confident in your leadership. A nervous owner will make the task more difficult.

Trust that the confidence will come - right now everything is new to her.

And yes a great idea is an open crate with a very comfortable bed in it. You can even hang a large blanket over the back and sides to make it more like a den.

Edited by KickReturn

Thanks again. We are going to take it very slow and only do little walks away from traffic :) and see how that goes. She is a really lovely girl, and apart from the outside world she is settling in well. She has a den room which she loves and keeps going to have a little nap with her and she takes all her toys in there. We are aiming to exude confidence and I think once we have the harness we won't be worried about it then. It is very calm and quiet in our house. Hopefully it is just stress due to it all being new and very different. She met a black lab earlier and loved it which is good, and met my mum and dad tonight and seemed quite happy about it. Not shy around people or dogs just of the unknown it seems.

She has demolished every meal in minutes so at least she still has her appetite!

Will post some pictures when I'm back in work and have the computer.

I really appreciate all your advice, it is great to get advice so quickly.

Just to thank you all and let you know that we got a harness and she is still nervous but I am not now I know she can't get away. She is getter better gradually with the noises, movement and traffic and is much better at walking when there is another dog there. So we will be doing that quite a lot. She did zoomies around the house before breakfast and had a crazy game in the back garden with me today. She gives you her paw if you stop stroking her and she wants you to carry on. She is just lovely :) the pacing and panting has got a lot less. And she seems to be enjoying things abit more.

Thanks again for your help and the person that suggested the double leash. It is really helpful :)

I still use a harness after 2 years!! My boy is 86# and no amount of walk training can prevent him from occasionally pulling. It helps tremendously. He was nervous the first few walks. Go somewhere less stimulating and gradually increase walk time and Amt if stimulation/noise.