General Weirdness - What Should We Be Looking For?

Diamond turned nine at the end of December, and she's turned into a "senior," literally overnight. My playful, active girl isn't playing anymore. :( She doesn't even act as "fun police," when Lucy and Cash get too rowdy - something she's always, always done. She's restless during the day and possibly a little confused. She wanders from room to room and will stand and stare at me, or stare blankly at the front door. She's always been a chow hound, but she doesn't want to eat. Although if I cajole her into starting, she'll finish the meal and lick her bowl. She pants at night even though our room is kept at 65 degrees.

She's been to the vet for a full wellness workup: geriatric blood panel, urinalysis, fecal. Her eyesight seems to be fine. Her teeth are "in great shape for a greyhound." She tested negative for tick borne diseases (although I'm not sure whether they checked for Valley Fever). The vet said her blood work looked good generally, although her kidney levels were "high normal for a greyhound," (not sure of the exact values) and she had protein in her urine. She wants us to come back for a blood pressure check.

Any other ideas? Anything else we should be checking for specifically?

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Turning into a senior doesn't happen overnight. Sounds more like something is amiss. Panting is a sign of pain. Have you been taking her temp?

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Specifically check for neck and/or spinal problems--pinched nerve, arthritis, etc. Pain in these areas can impact in lots of ways: unwillingness to play (or supervise play) as normal, not as bouncy when she walks, a tendency to just lie around (once she gets comfortable, she won't want to get up). It even can show as less willingness to eat if her bowl is at a height that's uncomfortable for her to reach (but once she gets her nose into the bowl, she might as well stay there and eat).

Temps have dropped, and colder weather can make her more achy. And the panting does sound like pain.

Muscle relaxers and/or pain meds may be in order if it's arthritis.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

She shouldn't have protein in her urine. I'd send a repeat urinalysis out to a commercial lab and get a UPC (urine protein creatinine ratio) as well. Could be as simple as an infection that was missed, if all they did was a dipstick analysis at the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the comments.

The vet checked her (pressing with her thumbs) for back/spinal pain, and she checked to make sure she has a full range of motion with her neck. She doesn't show any signs of pain or hesitancy to move. I'm also fairly sure the night panting isn't pain related. If we put a cool washcloth or a fan on her, she stops and goes back to sleep.

I'll ask about having another/more thorough urinalysis. I'm sure something is amiss - just not sure what. :-(

Edited to add - we don't have a thermometer at home (need to get one, I know) but her temp was normal at the vet.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I had a similar case with my Ivy - something was just "wrong", she was restless and pacing/panting off and on. It was finally the chest/abdomen X-rays that gave us a diagnosis. Not sure you need to jump to that at this point, but if the protein in the urine doesn't lead you anywhere definitive, I'd keep that as an option.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest rocknrooos

You may want to read up on Canine Cognitive Dysfunction <doggie Alzheimer's>.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, I know it can be trying. Best of luck.

All good suggestions above, maybe test her thyroid? IDK if temp issues are a definitive symptom, but I just think of menopausal women having hot flashes and wonder if it's something hormonal causing her to be warm. A full thyroid panel will give you info about her pituitary gland as well.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--