Should I Start Supplements Or Something For A 9 Year-Young?

I just realized that Diana is going to be 9 next month. For some reason, in my head she's still the goofy pup she always was. My only experience with an older grey was my Sobe, and he passed from Cancer just before he turned 9.

Sobe was perfectly happy and healthy at that age (until the Cancer of course), and Diana is totally fine, too. I certainly don't consider 9 as "senior"... but I wonder - is there anything I should start doing or giving Diana to help prevent any of the aches and pains that might develop in the future.

BTW - I can't even believe I'm asking this - I've referred to Di as the "lab puppy with stripes" forever. And she still is.

Guest cwholsin

I recommend a joint supplement at any age for retired racers. You can give them human grade Glucosamine, which was quite a bit cheaper than pet grade for the same stuff.

Are joint supplements a preventative, or just to treat existing joint issues? Do you think human grade glucosamine - chondroitin with MSM and vitamin C (all in one capsule) would be ok for greys ? (it's what I take).

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

For me, it's being proactive......once joint problems start, you're playing "catch-up." Better to support joints

while they're good and hopefully decrease chances of problems later.

As a survivior of having both knees replaced, I sure wish I'd had the sense to take care of them

back when I was young & bulletproof (or so I thought).

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Giselle

This weighs on my mind a lot, as well. From what I've read, a balanced diet doesn't need supplements. A dog doing well on a balanced diet won't benefit greatly from supplements. It seems that the literature doesn't support a definitive "yes" or "no" and that it all boils down mostly to anecdotal "evidence".

I run with my aging dog, and I have decided not to put her on supplements that evidence won't support and that may or may not even be absorbed by the canine gut. :dunno If it makes you feel better and it won't harm the dog, it can't hurt to try. I personally have decided that it's probably better to focus on improving her muscle tone to prevent joint problems. (this is accomplished by swimming, balance ball exercises, different exercises, etc.)

Edited by Giselle

For me, it's being proactive......once joint problems start, you're playing "catch-up." Better to support joints

while they're good and hopefully decrease chances of problems later.

As a survivior of having both knees replaced, I sure wish I'd had the sense to take care of them

back when I was young & bulletproof (or so I thought).

Ah, but ask any orthopedic doctor.

You're supplementing the income of the producers of these things more than helping yourself!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ah, but ask any orthopedic doctor.

You're supplementing the income of the producers of these things more than helping yourself!

At my first consult with ortho, I asked him if taking joint supplements would help, and his reply was

"Well, it won't hurt, but I think it's a little late." Granted, that's been 10 years ago, and maybe the

thinking has changed.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Best evidence, which isn't very good, is for certain forms and dosages (which are often not the forms or dosages included in popular, much-touted dog products) of glucosamine and chondroitin helping to relieve the pain of existing osteoarthritis of the human knee. Evidence for prevention, alternate forms, alternate dosages, other osteoarthritis locations is all poorer than "not very good."

We don't use those types of supplements here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We give both Angel and Fast Gluecomine 2x a day and there both going to be 10 in March of next year. Fast has been getting since we got him in may of 2010. It was recommended that we start him on it now since he did break his leg as a 2 year racing. And then sat on the farm for 5 years.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly go with what works and don't put much into "studies" as there are so many, all with differing results. I KNOW joint supplements helped my old dog tremendously, although I don't know if Gluc./Chon. on their own do too much, the supplement I use has a variety of ingredients and vitamins.

Teague will be 6, Karma is over 10 and although neither has any signs of joint problems/arthritis, I started Karma on a preventative joint supplement. I add a scoop into Teague's food as well now, I figure it can't do any harm. It has some extra vitamins, cartilage, antioxidants etc. I also strongly believe in high Omega 3 supplementation, and all my dogs get a fairly high dose of fish oil each day.

My dogs both get a good amount of running and hiking each day as well, so I feel confident that I am doing all I can, whether it works or not.