Bed Thief

First, Milo started barking and growling at the other dogs when he was next to me on the sofa to keep them away. I ordered him off, and that seems to have fixed that specific issue. But now Milo has started taking over the other dogs' sleeping places the minute they get up. Or dashing in front of them when he sees them heading toward one of their favorite beds. Nutmeg gets whiny and upset; Romie usually moves to another spot but occasionally chases Milo off with a lot of barking and teeth display.

I'm usually a "let them sort it out" philosopher, but I'm afraid this might escalate.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Is Milo new? Sounds like he's feeling a bit too big for his britches! If he were mine I would start NILF (nothing in life is free) he has to work for everything. Sit and wait before dinner, etc. If he guards you it get him corrected and banished from the room for a bit. If he guards a dog bed he gets evicted from the bed and banished for a bit. I usually body block my dogs out of the room until they catch on to the vet away from command. Really only a few minutes will get your point across. If you can't play nice you can be with us.

------

Jessica

I wouldn't use banishing as punishment -- it doesn't mean anything to the dog and is likely to make him feel even less secure.

I'd let the dogs figure out beds. As long as there are enough to go around, they'll work it out. Muzzles for all if you aren't there to supervise.

(At night, I do put my dogs to sleep in assigned beds. I don't like waking up to argumentation. A couple nights of being led calmly back to where they belong and they catch on quite well.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Milo has been here since February and was put on the "nothing in life is free" regimen on day one. He doesn't pull stuff with me -- he's just started the last month with the other dogs. I've tried telling Romie that he needs to discipline Milo more consistently. :) Now that I think about it -- I don't hear any bed arguments at night. ????

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sounds like he is starting to recognize he is "home" and trying to find his place in the pack. I'd watch (muzzle if necessary) and let them figure it out. I find my dogs go through this phase usually anywhere from 6 months to a year after they come into the pack.

I'd let them figure it out on their own. when Ben first arrived he always laid on Bailey's pillow so eventually she started to lay on the one we bought for Ben. Turns out she really preferred that pillow after all, it was closer to the kitchen.

Even when we have four pups in the house, we let them figure it out since there are plenty of pillows to go around and never have any issues. I find this makes them comfortable when we are away from home because they've learned to lay down any where there's an empty spot. :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good job on the sofa issue - I have ZERO tolerance for attitude on human furniture. That is a PRIVELAGE - and if you act badly on furniture - it's OFF. I do NOT tolerate dog space or dominance issues on MY furniture. That's MY place. No issues allowed. If there's a dog issue - OFF!

As far as the dogbeds - if there are plenty of equally comfy places for all dogs to lie on - and Milo is not forcing another dog off a bed - just taking it when it's unoccupied..... well.... I'd be OK with that. One dog might fuss because it can't have its favorite spot - one dog may challenge and get its spot back - or not. That's normal dog behavior. Some win, some loose. As long as no blood is shed, and the "looser" has a fine, happy place to go - I wouldn't worry about it. Apparently - the other dogs are allowing Milo to take what he wants. That will either continue, and the others will adapt, or they'll teach him a lesson.

Either way - it's dog business. I wouldn't intervene.

My 2 dogs do not have their own beds. There are 2 in the living room and they take turns on each. As long as everyone has a spot to go to, it really wouldn't concern me that hes bed hopping. I get bored in the same spot all the time, I expect the dogs do too. I have 4 dog beds in my bedroom right now and every night all 4 of them get used.