Black Rash On Underside?!?

Guest mackenzielyn

Guest mackenzielyn

My grey has a black rash on her soft underside where there is almost no hair, it's below her ribcage. I thought it was just dirt, but now it is black/grey with raised portions its probably 3 inches long and one inch wide... it doesn't seem to cause any pain, but it's not going away and I have no idea what to put on it. Anyone seen this before?

Sounds like greyhound acne (comodones). Some have it, some don't. It seems to bother their people more than it bothers the hound.

Some people put warm compresses on it, and squeeze them (I've done it on a foster - gross!!) black stuff comes out.

It may or may not go away on its own, but unless it gets rubbed raw and/or gets infected, it usually isn't anything to worry about.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Cash has it, and our vet said the same thing - it's like acne or clogged pores. She told us to use Benzoyl Peroxide gel. It hasn't completely gone away, but it's better. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, though.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It's a "Greyhound Thing".

This is a good website for new (and old) greyhound owners to bookmark. Grassmere Animal Hospital in Nashvillel TN has a greyt section on greyhounds on their website. New greyhound owners should beware of the "Happy Tail". Also the "Scream Of Death" or "SOD". One experience and you will never be the same.

http://www.grassmere...l.htm#Comedones

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I also did the squeezing thing to get the blackheads out. Then I followed up with wiping the area with Witch Hazel. It's not an immediate fix, took me many months to get it mostly cleared up.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Whew! Glad it is nothing serious! Thank you very much :bunny

Doesn't it feel strange to learn your greyhound is just being a teenager? ;)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sounds like greyhound acne (comodones). Some have it, some don't. It seems to bother their people more than it bothers the hound.

sounds like my Bobby's tummy, I wasn't worried about it as he had had a health check before I adopted him so knew he was ok

It's a "Greyhound Thing".

This is a good website for new (and old) greyhound owners to bookmark. Grassmere Animal Hospital in Nashvillel TN has a greyt section on greyhounds on their website. New greyhound owners should beware of the "Happy Tail". Also the "Scream Of Death" or "SOD". One experience and you will never be the same.

http://www.grassmere...l.htm#Comedones

thanks for posting that link, I have bookmarked it for future reference :ghplaybow

Nube had them when we got him and had them for a few years. I'd try to "pop" them but it was quite a large area. Then, one day, after years they just disappeared.

Larry did NOT have them when we got him (6/11/11) but I just notice about a month ago he has them :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway