Questions About Robaxin

Zuri was just prescribed Robaxin for the second time, this time at a dosage of 500 mg 3x/day. I looked around online and that dosage is well within the safe dosage for his size (70 lbs) and in general it seems like it's a safe medication, but I wondered what other people's experiences were.

I'm also curious whether it's something that can lose its effectiveness long term so that you'd need higher and higher doses for it to have an effect?

I don't expect him to be on it for long, I think 2 weeks to give him a little boost while we start at home PT, but as always I like to dot all my i's and cross all my t's. :rolleyes:

For those who are interested in why he's on it, Zuri went back to his ortho in September for a recheck of his LS progression and was prescribed 2 weeks of Robaxin because the vet noticed that his groin and back muscles were spasming, probably from overcompensating for his weakened hind end. He was on 500 mg 2x/day and did quite well on that - noticed some improvement with his gait and no side effects. We went in today for his PT consult and she wants us to first treat the groin issue with rest and PT exercises before we move on to strengthening his core muscles so she gave me exercises and stretches to do at home and we will go in weekly for PT (cold laser therapy, etc.). She's the one who put him back on Robaxin, but at 500 mg 3x/day.

Thanks. :)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sam's been on it for about 19 months. When his arthritis in his back plays up, he clenches his muscles and it hurts so much that he won't stand up or lie down without crying out. He takes two (500mg) a day in warm weather; when it's cooler and he's potentially in more pain, he takes three a day.

He's also on gabapentin and tramadol and meloxicam.

The methocarbamol has been a life-saver for Sam, keeping him comfortable and mobile with no side effects. My only complaint is that it's the most expensive of the meds he's on. Otherwise, it's wonderful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've had two on it long term (both for backs), and have used it for others as needed (other joints). Haven't had any problems and have definitely seen improvements, especially for backs.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Dannie was on and off Robaxin for neck/back issues over the course of 3 years and although we never used it more than 2 months at a time, there were never any side effects. (She had cbc/chem every year). It was THE drug that could get her to the level of comfort she needed until PT (water treadmill & TENS, Laser) kicked in.

Thanks for the feedback. It's helpful to have some real life experiences to back up what I found online.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

HUGE difference for Miss Carrie :nod Her lower back will tense up from time to time and it helps her so much without making her loopy.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--