Fyi Diabetic Dog Study...

Rebecka Hess, chief of the Section of Medicine at the School of Veterinary Medicine and an associate professor of medicine in Penn Vet’s Department of Clinical Studies, has spent her career identifying and improving treatments for dogs and cats afflicted with diabetes and other diseases caused by disruptions to hormone signaling. Her latest clinical trial, for which she is currently recruiting dogs with well-regulated diabetes, aims to test how well a strategy commonly used to treat humans with diabetes will aid in better controlling the disease in canines.

“This, we hope, will lead to longer survival and better long-term quality of life,” Hess says.

Complete article in yesterdays Penn Vet Extra newsletter.

I am not endorsing them. I do not now and never have had a diabetic dog. In fact I don't even know what you all are talking about because I didn't read it. I just thought somebody might like to know/ or be interested or that perhaps it might be helpful to someone. Sorry I posted it now. Next time I see something I won't.

Yes, thank you very much for sharing that and any other studies that you run across! Many with greys afflicted with a disease would be interested in working with the scientific community to learn more about the best treatments for these conditions. My own reaction to the W/D is simply that the diabetic dog is kept regulated with a very carefully managed combination of insulin, diet (typically high quality) and exercise, so changing the quality of the food can affect that regulation. :)

My own reaction to the W/D is simply that the diabetic dog is kept regulated with a very carefully managed combination of insulin, diet (typically high quality) and exercise, so changing the quality of the food can affect that regulation. :)

W/D is a high quality food? Here are the first 10 ingredients -

Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Chicken, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil.

Almost 3 years ago when Poodle became diabetic my first words were "I am not feeding w/d". I'm sure the study wants to use it so all the dogs are eating the same food but am just not feeding my dog celluose or a food where the first meat ingredient is listed fifth AFTER chicken liver flavor. Either they use a heck of a lot of flavor there is very little chicken in it. At least they finally quit using peanut hulls about 4 years ago.

If I posted that I had seen a food with those ingredients in the grocery store and was feeding it GTers would be after me with flaming torches.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

"so changing the quality of the food can affect that regulation" was to impliy that participation in the study requires a different quality of food. (The W/D). I didn't think it was necessary to slam the food to make the point, but apparantly it was.