What To Expect When Adopting A Retired Racer

Guest ManyBlessings

Guest ManyBlessings

Yes, they mentioned the baby gates. That would actually work for my berner too. She doesn't take off but she does like to go to the door and it freaks people out as she is big. I will see if we can attach something to our front....we don't have a screen door so I'm not sure how it will work. We do have one though.....

Anyone use a doggie door for the back?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, you'll find doggie doors to be a controversial subject here.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ManyBlessings

We finally got appoved! Our adoption rep is going to set up times this weekend to visit some potential matches. She doesn't have any fosters right now. I wonder how many they have that might be a good fit?? I can't wait!

Guest ManyBlessings

I wonder if I should move my discussion.....but I'm so comfortable here :flip

They have chosen the first boy for us to see! "Pappy" http://mokangreyhounds.org/adoption/adoptable-dogs.html

He is about 80 lbs, red and very playful. Nearly 2 1/2 years old. We get to meet him tomorrow evening. Are you supposed to pick the very first one you visit? Because he really sounds perfect for us :beatheart

Guest FinnsMom

When we went to the kennel, I was faced with over 30 dogs that needed a home. The very first one we took out to the yard to walk and visit with was the one that ended up coming home with us. It took me all of about 2 minutes to fall in love with him. I've had dogs all my life but I finally have my heart dog. :beatheart :beatheart When you spend time with him, you will just know.

Congrats! He sounds awesome! My opinion: If you like what you see when you visit, then off you go! (This coming from someone who hadn't met any of our 4 before the deal was done...and none of them were fostered.)

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Wasserbuffel
He is about 80 lbs, red and very playful. Nearly 2 1/2 years old. We get to meet him tomorrow evening. Are you supposed to pick the very first one you visit? Because he really sounds perfect for us :beatheart

You certainly don't have to, but I think a lot of us do. I my only requirement for choosing was that the dog be cat-safe. I had plenty to choose from, but they gave me first right of refusal on a little girl named Cassidy, I was a little unsure of her as she was labeled on the website as "talkative", and I wanted a quiet dog. I was to meet her and a couple other adoptables at a M&G at the racetrack. A big, beautiful red boy named Bubba, and a gorgeous black whose name I have forgotten were there to meet and both quite friendly. Little Cassidy didn't pay any attention to the humans. She was watching the races. She pulled horribly on her lead when I walked her.

Since I was approved to adopt I was supposed to take my dog home that night. Bubba and the black were both ready to go. Cassidy needed another week in foster care before the group would feel comfortable giving her to first-time adopters, since she had only been off the track for a couple weeks.

Before I left I told Cassidy's new foster Dad that her name was Jayne.

I don't know exactly what it was, but I wanted that dog. By all logic she was just about the last dog I should have chosen, but she's turned out to be the best dog I could have ever asked for.

He's handsome. I met Annie Bella at a Meet & Greet on a Saturday I deliberately went to after searching on line for ones near me. I didn't know what dogs would be there. I went just to start looking around. When I walked up to the group of Greys, Annie B met me and leaned. I scratched her ears and pet her side and she leaned even more. I moved a bit and she almost fell over. I talked to the volunteers and Annie followed me around as much as her leash would allow. I spent three hours at this M&G and the volunteers started calling me "Mommy." When I came home, I filled in the group's on-line application, indicating I had met Annie and would like to adopt her. On Monday night, two days later, I had been approved and arranged to pick her up the upcoming Saturday, a week after I had met her.

My group, with which I now volunteer, moves quickly once all the criteria has been met and a good match is found.

He is very handsome. I would trust your group's judgement. Congratulations!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Brandi picked us (or me) the first time we met her. She was the first grey we had ever met and it was love at first lean-and-snuggle, within 5 seconds of meeting her. Paige took us longer to warm up to, but I wouldn't trade her either.

Bad news, though. You can't have Pappy. I want him, and am arranging to have him shipped over here. :colgate . He's a handsome boy! Fingers and paws crossed for you.

Guest DeniseL

Congrats! The first time I saw my little girl being walked down the kennel hallway towards me, I knew instantly that I loved her and she was the 'one' for me. 4 months later, she is snuggled in bed next to me as I type this <3 Good luck getting picked by a hound :) Pappy is adorable!

Guest ManyBlessings

We have officially adopted “Laser” (his new name). His racing name is Laser Challenge. Poor boy, raced about 16 times and didn’t win any. He is a sweetie. He is a very dominant grey, the opposite of what we thought we were getting. His foster mom told us our Berner was very submissive and all puppy, which we knew. Laser was the pest in his foster home, now he is pestered by our 10 month old berner girl. :hehe He is completely house trained and loves his pen. I put a couple of fluffy quits in it and he went right in. He was fostered for nearly 8 months I think. He was a difficult foster because he had no manners when he came in. You would never know it now! He’s a tall boy (about 31 inches/80 lbs) and so calm. He comes for loves and pets and will even roll on his back. He paws the back door when he wants out, “talks” when he seeing someone outside, lies down to wait to eat. His foster mommy did such a nice job with him! They were waiting for the “right” home. So many of his mannerisms that seem “normal” to me, are not what people want or expect in a grey. Lucky for us! Such as he mouths when he plays….our berner does this ALL the time and she is getting much better. So we are very used to that. He counter surfs…already proactive due to the berner….maybe she prepared us for him all along. :bounce2 He un-stuffies his toys…again, berner, we already know what kind of toys he needs. He will empty any cup or glass he can get too…and loves a cup of coffee. I guess that his favorite. No biggie. LOVES attention. At the meet/greet I saw 4 of the greys, no muzzles, several kids eye level coming up to see them. I could see just how he reacted in a strange place. He gives nose kisses to us if he can reach and stuffs his head in our laps for more loves. He pulls the leash when walking….no biggie. Hubby is 6’6” and I’m 5’10” and our berner has been in training….so we know how to deal with that. And he didn’t really seem that bad….on day 1. He bolts up the stairs like it’s nothing, is not bothered one bit by the ceramic tile…which we have mostly throughout the house. You can tell by the picture this morning…..I was surprised he didn’t find that spot cold! He has a nice bed and quilts in his pen….the same room as he chose to lay out on the floor. Silly boy. I left him this morning with a marrow bone in his pen and he was a happy boy. So easy! I guess what I’m trying to say is that all of the things my group said were holding him back from being placed seemed like normal doggie things to us. Crate trained and potty trained are bonuses!! I realize more of his personality will come out. But he was fostered with two other greys for 8 months, straight from the track, never bounced. I would think his foster mommy would know quite a lot about his behavior. I think they made a great match for us. The one thing that surprised me is that he is a barker. Our other two dogs are not. Laser will bark in the house and outside. Our neighbors’ dog barks and so do the dogs across the street, so I’m not worried about that. I am hoping he settles in he will not be so quick to be set off. And even so, that’s no big deal. We can work on that. I do need to try and get some better pictures of my pack. Can you tell I'm happy :beatheart

You need to upload the pics into a hosting site like Photobucket (what most of us use). Then you post the IMG code for the pic that will be listed under it within your message.

Trying to figure out how to post pictures.......

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad