What To Expect When Adopting A Retired Racer

Guest ManyBlessings

Guest ManyBlessings

Yes, it depends on why the growling is occuring. I agree it does signal a problem. And I realize growling does not ALWAYS equal attack or aggression. And while I have had growling, just never a bite. I'm just saying I could not have a dog of any breed that would bite a member of its human family in the normal course of the day. Excluding sickness/injury etc. I love watching Caesar and have read books on the warning signs before a dog will bite. And some people DO deserve to get bitten. I'm the kind of owner that if one of my kids steps on a tail causing the dog to yelp I get after my child. But I DO NOT expect that same dog to bite my child. There are many different tempered dogs, even within the same breed. As the book I'm just finishing says, be sure to get the right fit for your family. That is the key for me. And if a dog cannot be happy in my home then it is not the right dog for us. I would not want to torture a poor animal and force it to live with us if he was completely miserable. That would cause more problems for the dog. I really just want the best for both.....to provide a dog a good home and to get enjoyment from the dog in return.

I do realize there may be training, adjustments, trust building....I'm really not that naive. But I would like the best chance at a successful transition from the beginning. Hence the reason I'm putting myself "out there" on this forum so I can learn and be sure a grey is a good choice. My adoption rep is supposed to call today or tomorrow.....and they do foster and home visits. I am hoping this give us the best chance for success. I'm very sorry if I've stirred the pot! Really I'm just here to learn. And I am very willing to learn, even as stubborn as I can be. :flip

As JJ said above, you need to fully understand where a greyhound comes from. FORGET what you THINK you know about dogs. All this "alpha" crap and such. Your statement that in 30 years you have never been bitten, thats great, but you have never dealt with a dog that was raised as a pack animal separate from being taught to be a human surrogate (ie: every other breed of dog).

As JJ mentioned, you must understand the subtle communication from a dog. Of nearly everyone that I have ever know that has been bitten by a dog they all say "the dog was wagging its tail one second, then suddenly for no reason lunged and bit me". Guess what, there were many things the dog tried to do to get the human to understand its anxiety. Lip licking, whale eye, looking away, eyes darting around, muscles tensing up, yawning. The list goes on and on. Most people dont understand these are "calming signals" that dogs use.

Greyhounds are masters at communication becase they were not raised in a human household and taught that they cannot growl or air snap. There is nothing wrong with a dog that growls, there is a serious reason that dog is growling and instead of being defensive about a dog growling and saying "no dog will ever dare to growl at me in my house", you need to think, the poor thing must be scared or anxious about something "I" am doing to him/her.

So growling should not be considered agression. Growling is communication that needs to be respected because the dog is feeling anxious about something. There are times when a greyhound growls that you can say needs to be corrected, but a majority of the time, you need to examine the situation and understand "why" the dog growled.

Just pointing out something that you may come across as greyhounds do growl when they feel threatened or anxious and cannot excape the situation.

Growling does not equal attack or agression

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it depends on why the growling is occuring. I agree it does signal a problem. And I realize growling does not ALWAYS equal attack or aggression. And while I have had growling, just never a bite. I'm just saying I could not have a dog of any breed that would bite a member of its human family in the normal course of the day. Excluding sickness/injury etc. I love watching Caesar and have read books on the warning signs before a dog will bite. And some people DO deserve to get bitten. I'm the kind of owner that if one of my kids steps on a tail causing the dog to yelp I get after my child. But I DO NOT expect that same dog to bite my child. There are many different tempered dogs, even within the same breed. As the book I'm just finishing says, be sure to get the right fit for your family. That is the key for me. And if a dog cannot be happy in my home then it is not the right dog for us. I would not want to torture a poor animal and force it to live with us if he was completely miserable. That would cause more problems for the dog. I really just want the best for both.....to provide a dog a good home and to get enjoyment from the dog in return.

I do realize there may be training, adjustments, trust building....I'm really not that naive. But I would like the best chance at a successful transition from the beginning. Hence the reason I'm putting myself "out there" on this forum so I can learn and be sure a grey is a good choice. My adoption rep is supposed to call today or tomorrow.....and they do foster and home visits. I am hoping this give us the best chance for success. I'm very sorry if I've stirred the pot! Really I'm just here to learn. And I am very willing to learn, even as stubborn as I can be. :flip

Don't worry about stirring the pot. As many people as there are on this forum is just about as many opinions you'll read. You'll learn to pick and choose what you think is going to work for you. There are people who think that feeding raw is the very best way to go. Maybe it is but I'm not willing to put the work into it so I use kibble. There are many people who think that lower-grade kibble is bad. Well, higher-grade kibble can be too rich for some hounds, mine is one of them, so I do a mixture of Iams (which some consider mid- to low-grade) and a better kibble, but if Iams alone worked best for Annie -- and I mean no loose stools or other adverse reactions -- she'd be on Iams by itself.

I'm not familiar enough with other breeds to comment on them, but I have to assume that each dog, whether Greyhound or not, comes with its own personality and it can take a while to have that personality come out. After 15 months, Annie B's personality is still emerging, though there are not as many changes as during the first 10 months, and it makes me love her all the more.

Guest ManyBlessings

Thank you Feisty49. I was reading my Retired Greyhounds for Dummies book, one of the two books my group requires. There is a section on aggression. I am beginnig to see the many different opinions. In this book it states "Sometimes a retired racer may need a reminder that you own the can opener. If he gets pushy and growls, there is nothing wrong with reminding him with a harsh "ah-ah" or a "no" that that kind of behavior is abosulutely not acceptable." On the following page it says regardig aggression: "Aggression is treatable, but it isn't curable. Be aware that even if your greyhound's aggression has been successfully controlled, it can resurface when he's under stress." This book is not saying aggression is common in greys, just that if it shows up you need to address it. I guess I don't feel so out of line now. :hehe I am a research nut. And I love learning about new breeds and what makes them special. I won't truely know what I'm getting into until we bring home our first grey. My 7 year old daughter is also reading the book. She says she wants a grey because they can have 7 puppies :shakefinger Can you all say "it's a teaching moment"!

I love Annie Bella's ears! Is that the "normal" ear set? I see so many different ear positions......

Edited by ManyBlessings

Guest ManyBlessings

:yay I am so excited!! I just has a wonderful converation with my adoption group rep. She lives only 6 miles from my house! We are having our home visit next weekend....to give hubby a bit longer to finish the books. We agreed a big boy would be a good fit in our home. So it's just going to be waiting to see what is available after next weekend. I discussed my main concerns. She said *if* there is any sign of resource guarding or food aggression when she gets a foster, it's gone before they leave. And we went over the sleep startle too. She has 3 greys. One of the three has some minor issues with it but she's 11 years old and it didn't start until after she started losing her hearing, which is completely understandable. It just seems we clicked on everything. I'm so relieved and excited!!

Does anyone do blood donations with their greys? She was telling there's a program near us....about 20 min.....and it sounds like a great thing. And I hope to get involved in the meet and greets too....ohhhhhh I have new purpose :flip

Sorry, just excited.

Edited by ManyBlessings

How exciting! I adore my big boys. I had three litter mates that were between 87 and 95 lbs. All three the sweetest boys on the planet. We lost one of the 3 in January but I still have his two brothers here. There are quite a few Gt'rs here who take their dogs in to donate blood on a regular basis. Hopefully one of them will pop in here. We are on a list at our vet's office in case they need an emergency donation.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:yay I am so excited!! I just has a wonderful converation with my adoption group rep. She lives only 6 miles from my house! We are having our home visit next weekend....to give hubby a bit longer to finish the books. We agreed a big boy would be a good fit in our home. So it's just going to be waiting to see what is available after next weekend. I discussed my main concerns. She said *if* there is any sign of resource guarding or food aggression when she gets a foster, it's gone before they leave. And we went over the sleep startle too. She has 3 greys. One of the three has some minor issues with it but she's 11 years old and it didn't start until after she started losing her hearing, which is completely understandable. It just seems we clicked on everything. I'm so relieved and excited!!

Does anyone do blood donations with their greys? She was telling there's a program near us....about 20 min.....and it sounds like a great thing. And I hope to get involved in the meet and greets too....ohhhhhh I have new purpose :flip

Sorry, just excited.

It is exciting! A whole new live being to love and spoil and admire. I so admire Greyhounds. They are just so special.

Annie B's ears are usually down but the siggie shows them in her alert state, such as when I say: walk, treat, supper, etc.

Sorry, just excited.

It's super exciting! Adopting my first (and second, and third, and fourth) was life-changing for me, in the very best way.

And the big boys are my favorites.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

This has been one of the best "what to expect" threads and a large part is due to your approach and willingness to hear everyone out. There are lot's of opinions on everything GH and everyone who has responded here really cares about the breed and even your situation!

You have great advice already, but I'd add that sometimes things shouldn't be 'over-thought'. We tend to do that when learning - wanting to make sure we absorb everything! I don't personally know many greyhounds with 'issues' - quirks, yes of course, real issues, no. "Easy" hounds are out there!

Our girls were 3 and 5 when we adopted our first hound - we were newbies to greyhounds but long time dog owners. Our group, who had initially turned us down to do the girls' ages, selected a hound for us and he has been rock solid with everything since day 1, though he does have a bit of sleep startle (and always has). We adopted his littermate, sight unseen and un-profiled, 3 weeks later (in 2008). Then in January 2012, we adopted a small female (Squirt), who was also un-profiled. 4 months later, we picked up Squirt's littermate, also un-profiled. Our girls are now 7 and 9 but the point is, we didn't overthink anything on the last 3 hounds and really knew nothing about them until they moved in! And while they can be quirky, none of them have any issues - sleep regularly with the kids, don't even look twice at the recently adopted feral kitten, no food issues, no walking issues, etc. They are stable, trusting, confident, happy hounds and contribute a great deal to the zoo we call a home.

Good luck with the adoption - I'm sure you will add the perfect hound to your home!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

JetCityWoman - " One brindle boy was a social butterfly who flew out of his crate and said hi to each and ever one of us. " That's my boy!! Hopefully

So different from what I had previously thought. That is really sad about the Danes. Why people let animals of any kind suffer like that is beyond me. Those pups were so cute!! And they were having fun, that's for sure. I will have to look into visiting a track. I believe there is one in KC? Time to Google.

If KC is closed, you can try Wheeling if it's not too far for you. It would be a very lovely weekend, though, I can promise you. You may want to ask if your group can organize a "field trip" so that you can also visit a puppy farm like I did. I'm pretty sure you can't just show up at a puppy farm and expect to tour it; you have to know someone who knows the farmer who can arrange it. I found it very rewarding and interesting, and I'm very grateful to the farmer. If you do get to visit one, be sure to thank him, and (if you sincerely feel this way) do compliment him on having a nice farm. These guys have endured several decades of being called monsters because they do get associated with puppy mills and other abusive situations. All it takes in many cases is for someone to see a picture of a dog in a wire crate: the image of someone behind bars is an extremely emotionally evocative trigger for nearly everyone, and that's what you always see in newspapers, magazines and even Facebook.

Edited to add: Oh, and while I was looking up the NGA stats for the below post, I remembered - duh! - if Wheeling is too far away, why not visit Abilene, the home of NGA. And someone help me out here, but isn't there a racing greyhound museum and hall of fame there?

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I was reading my adopting a retired racer for dummies book last night and read about the thousand of greys that were euthanized in the early 80s after their racing careers were over. It's so nice to see most have homes now.

I think it's time for the Dummies book to get updated. What it said about the situation in the 1980's was true, but keep in mind that was about thirty years ago now. The NGA statistics for registered greyhounds was 37,784 in 1988. In 2011 the number of registered dogs was 11,759. There are many reasons for the decline, but result is great because the situation now is that whelpings are about even with what the adoption network can handle. (There are threads here discussing how and why the statistics are fuzzy and can't be completely accurately tracked. But I think we have enough that we can make reasonable guesstimates.)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

The Kansas tracks closed on their own and can reopen when and if they come to an agreement on the split of slot machine revenue.

Rachel posted some pictures from the greyhound Hall of Fame, maybe in the waiting and watching thread. Those whelping reports are very accurate, except for oops litters, because you can't race the pups unless the litter is registered and that has to be done by 3 months of age.

Like any other business you expand or contract depending on need.

If K Mart expanded to X number of stores in the 90's they did so because the market could support those stores. Now with a bad economy each store can't support itself so the close some of the stores.

With the contraction of tracks there is a contraction of breedings. It costs about $20,000 to get a litter of 6 to the track and if there aren't places to run your pups the logical thing to do is cut down on your breedings.

Dick

Guest ManyBlessings

Wow! That's amazing! It's nice to be reading about all the success stories. You were brave to adopt so many after your first that were un-profiled. I didn't even think groups would allow that. Especially with kids. I've had dogs before I ever had kids and would never be dog-less because of small children. It would just feel like something is missing. And all my children love animals of all kinds. I feel sorry for children who are raised in a home with no animals and are are afraid of anything that comes near them. I'm thankful we are not a family like that.

This has been one of the best "what to expect" threads and a large part is due to your approach and willingness to hear everyone out. There are lot's of opinions on everything GH and everyone who has responded here really cares about the breed and even your situation!

You have great advice already, but I'd add that sometimes things shouldn't be 'over-thought'. We tend to do that when learning - wanting to make sure we absorb everything! I don't personally know many greyhounds with 'issues' - quirks, yes of course, real issues, no. "Easy" hounds are out there!

Our girls were 3 and 5 when we adopted our first hound - we were newbies to greyhounds but long time dog owners. Our group, who had initially turned us down to do the girls' ages, selected a hound for us and he has been rock solid with everything since day 1, though he does have a bit of sleep startle (and always has). We adopted his littermate, sight unseen and un-profiled, 3 weeks later (in 2008). Then in January 2012, we adopted a small female (Squirt), who was also un-profiled. 4 months later, we picked up Squirt's littermate, also un-profiled. Our girls are now 7 and 9 but the point is, we didn't overthink anything on the last 3 hounds and really knew nothing about them until they moved in! And while they can be quirky, none of them have any issues - sleep regularly with the kids, don't even look twice at the recently adopted feral kitten, no food issues, no walking issues, etc. They are stable, trusting, confident, happy hounds and contribute a great deal to the zoo we call a home.

Good luck with the adoption - I'm sure you will add the perfect hound to your home!

Guest ManyBlessings

Well I can see how people can get the wrong idea about the racing dogs. I had that same wrong idea until I began looking more closely into how the pups are raised. I feel bad that I was thinking they were raised along the lines of puppy mill dogs. That farm looked like such a happy place. And those dogs were certainly happy and well-kept. I'm really starting to see the advantages of having a retired racer over raising a puppy of any breed! In many respects it seems the greys have a huge head-start with life and most adjust nicely to good homes after racing.

JetCityWoman - " One brindle boy was a social butterfly who flew out of his crate and said hi to each and ever one of us. " That's my boy!! Hopefully

So different from what I had previously thought. That is really sad about the Danes. Why people let animals of any kind suffer like that is beyond me. Those pups were so cute!! And they were having fun, that's for sure. I will have to look into visiting a track. I believe there is one in KC? Time to Google.

If KC is closed, you can try Wheeling if it's not too far for you. It would be a very lovely weekend, though, I can promise you. You may want to ask if your group can organize a "field trip" so that you can also visit a puppy farm like I did. I'm pretty sure you can't just show up at a puppy farm and expect to tour it; you have to know someone who knows the farmer who can arrange it. I found it very rewarding and interesting, and I'm very grateful to the farmer. If you do get to visit one, be sure to thank him, and (if you sincerely feel this way) do compliment him on having a nice farm. These guys have endured several decades of being called monsters because they do get associated with puppy mills and other abusive situations. All it takes in many cases is for someone to see a picture of a dog in a wire crate: the image of someone behind bars is an extremely emotionally evocative trigger for nearly everyone, and that's what you always see in newspapers, magazines and even Facebook.

Edited to add: Oh, and while I was looking up the NGA stats for the below post, I remembered - duh! - if Wheeling is too far away, why not visit Abilene, the home of NGA. And someone help me out here, but isn't there a racing greyhound museum and hall of fame there?

Yes, that is certainly a lot of money with no guarantees. I'm glad to see the breeding has fallen as the needs have fallen and that the percentage of adopted greys are high with respect to the whelping numbers. If those dogs are being raised well and getting homes when done racing I don't see anything wrong with that process. And we get to benefit! :ghplaybow

The Kansas tracks closed on their own and can reopen when and if they come to an agreement on the split of slot machine revenue.

Rachel posted some pictures from the greyhound Hall of Fame, maybe in the waiting and watching thread. Those whelping reports are very accurate, except for oops litters, because you can't race the pups unless the litter is registered and that has to be done by 3 months of age.

Like any other business you expand or contract depending on need.

If K Mart expanded to X number of stores in the 90's they did so because the market could support those stores. Now with a bad economy each store can't support itself so the close some of the stores.

With the contraction of tracks there is a contraction of breedings. It costs about $20,000 to get a litter of 6 to the track and if there aren't places to run your pups the logical thing to do is cut down on your breedings.

Dick

Guest Leah_siewert

I very recently adopted a 2.5 year old 80 pound male in May of this year. My very first dog on my own I am 22 years old. He was clumsy and spastic when I first met him but he was very friendly and had such a happiness to him I was hooked.

He came right from the track to the adoption kennel never had been in a home in his life. The first few months took some work but every second was worth it. I taught him everything from waiting politely for his food to climbing the stairs to waiting politely instead of bolting out the front door.

You just have to have patients and consistency throughout your family. He looked to me for everything because he just did not know what was expected of him. He was nervous during new experiences like jumping up into the car but after a couple of times it's second nature to him. He leaps up the stairs like a champ. Stares me in the eyes for approval before he even looks at his food. And waits politely until I open the door and invite him out.

Potty training was quick because I caught him making a mistake. He only attempted to mark in the house one time and I made sure to give a firm but not scary "NO" ran him outside and made him feel like a king for peeing outside and that was that he never went in the house again. He will still pee on every tree/bush/sign on our walks but I don't mind it.

I found that he loved rawhide bones and he will get a nice big one once a week or so and he will go at it for an hour then pass out. If you channel their natural instinct to chew they shouldn't have other problems. I always supervise him chewing and he usually gets it during my evening tv time which keeps him preoccupied while I relax.

Being a young male he has a bit more energy. I don't have a fenced in yard so he gets about two 10 minute potty walks and one longer daily walk. He goes to the dog park a few times a week for about a half hour and then will sleep for a day and a half afterwards.

I never crated him and he is perfect in the home he hasn't ever touched anything left out.

Adopting a retired racer has been really worth it. He is the sweetest and most sensitive and goofy guy it's do fun to watch him come into his own.

Guest ManyBlessings

Leah, it sounds like you got a wonderful grey! Thank you for sharing your story. Our group fosters and our home visit is this weekend. I'm very excited!

name='Leah_siewert' timestamp='1350310455' post='5350453']

I very recently adopted a 2.5 year old 80 pound male in May of this year. My very first dog on my own I am 22 years old. He was clumsy and spastic when I first met him but he was very friendly and had such a happiness to him I was hooked.

He came right from the track to the adoption kennel never had been in a home in his life. The first few months took some work but every second was worth it. I taught him everything from waiting politely for his food to climbing the stairs to waiting politely instead of bolting out the front door.

You just have to have patients and consistency throughout your family. He looked to me for everything because he just did not know what was expected of him. He was nervous during new experiences like jumping up into the car but after a couple of times it's second nature to him. He leaps up the stairs like a champ. Stares me in the eyes for approval before he even looks at his food. And waits politely until I open the door and invite him out.

Potty training was quick because I caught him making a mistake. He only attempted to mark in the house one time and I made sure to give a firm but not scary "NO" ran him outside and made him feel like a king for peeing outside and that was that he never went in the house again. He will still pee on every tree/bush/sign on our walks but I don't mind it.

I found that he loved rawhide bones and he will get a nice big one once a week or so and he will go at it for an hour then pass out. If you channel their natural instinct to chew they shouldn't have other problems. I always supervise him chewing and he usually gets it during my evening tv time which keeps him preoccupied while I relax.

Being a young male he has a bit more energy. I don't have a fenced in yard so he gets about two 10 minute potty walks and one longer daily walk. He goes to the dog park a few times a week for about a half hour and then will sleep for a day and a half afterwards.

I never crated him and he is perfect in the home he hasn't ever touched anything left out.

Adopting a retired racer has been really worth it. He is the sweetest and most sensitive and goofy guy it's do fun to watch him come into his own.

[/b]

How wonderful for you...just a cautionary note though. Many GTers do not feed their dogs raw hide bones, even while supervised. I think it's a choking hazard or blockage issue, not really sure because I have never fed my dogs rawhide. I choose bully sticks or raw turkey necks.

sorry to get off-topic, but I just wanted to point this out.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Leah, it sounds like you got a wonderful grey! Thank you for sharing your story. Our group fosters and our home visit is this weekend. I'm very excited!

How exciting! You'll have to let us know how it goes! Hopefully you will have a new addition to your home soon!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You've received so much good advice, just wanted to mention...

As a first time grey owner that had also read forums and multiple books before bringing our boy home (including the greyhound/dummies one, which has lots of great stuff), you're in for SO much more than you're reading about!!! :lol

Good luck with your home visit and please post back about what happens!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest ManyBlessings

I am so disappointed. The adoption rep was set to do the home visit today. She never showed up. No phone call, nothing. She seemed nice on the phone, but there was a long delay in contacting me to start. We had to keep our kids from playing with friends and waited two hours. Still haven't heard anything from her. There are two other groups that I know adopt to my area. I'm thinking of applying with one or both of them. It's been nearly a month and I'm no further than I was the day I emailed the group. Except for reading the books....and making my hubby do the same.

On a fun note, I took my kids to an agility show yesterday. We met up with a breeder I had contacted about great danes. She is also a dog judge and has authored books. She and two other friends brought about 8 all together. It was wonderful! And one of them is involved in rescue. My kids loved the dogs and everyone was so friendly. We also met a lady wth an IG, adult whippet and a 14 week old whippet. They are too small for what I am looking for, but she let us play with them and was very helpful. She had a retired racer a while back and could tell us the differences. It was a really fun morning. So the entire weekend was not a loss.......

I'm sorry, that must have been really disappointing. Try to keep in mind most adoption groups are run by volunteers. It's possible something happened and she wasn't able to get in touch.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ladyhound

I am so sorry to hear that, I know you are really let down. Did you try to give the rep a call? Maybe an emergency happened? I'm sorry about that. :( But if that group doesn't get back with you, then luckily there are other options for groups in your area and I know that you will be able to find a group that will match you with a great dog. You sound like you will be such a good candidate to be a greyhound owner and have showed so much willingness to learn about the breed, etc, that I really hope this setback won't discourage you from the breed. :D They really are such special and wonderful dogs.

I'd be a bit more than disappointed but giving the benefit of the doubt, such as an emergency, is the way to go. I know that while my group is run by volunteers, an email with questions or an on-line application for adoption is responded to within 24 hours, unless the president of our group is at a Greyhound event such as Dewey Beach. Even though most (all?) adoption group are run by volunteers (and I am one), I think there is an obligation and responsibility to treat a prospective adopter with respect. After all, getting the Greys into a forever home is the goal and if volunteers don't have time to do the job within a reasonable time, then perhaps they should take a break.

I don't remember if you mentioned it, but did you ask the group to which you applied the time frame from initial inquiry to placement, if approved and they have a suitable dog? I fell in lotsa like with my Annie B on a Saturday and I had been approved to adopt her by Monday night and picked her up the following Saturday. That may have been a quicker than average, but if we find an appropriate family for an appropriate dog, most adoptions are complete in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest ManyBlessings

I have not gotten to see any of the dogs. They want you to read the two books, have the home visit, only then will they match you up with a dog. I was told they are all wonderful so not to worry. I have seen several on the website, the one I asked about has been adopted. So I just gave up looking until all their ducks are in a row. You would think they want to process people quickly to get the dogs in homes. I'm not sure how many they even have as their website has not been updated since I started looking, nearly a month ago.

She emailed my office yesterday at noon....our visit was supposed to be at 1:00, and I don't work on the weekends so I don't get my email..... it wouldn't be how I would handle things. She said her husband had a cold/flu and would need to reschedule. I guess we'll see how it goes. It looks like I will be waiting until this weekend to try again. Just getting frustrated as she only lives 6 miles from me.

It does not discourage me from the breed, that's for sure! If I would have been able to just go pick one out elsewhere, I would have. I have been looking into two other breeds but I really feel the grey is for me. My kids are very exited too. I can barely stand it not to be able to visit some.....