Thera-Paws Cushy-Paws?

Guest 8fleetfeet

Guest 8fleetfeet

Over the last eleven years I've had four greyhounds, and four of them had (or have) corns. My dog Wyatt has at least one on each foot. Over the last few months he's become more and more intolerant of my picking and filing at them (he won't let me near him with a Dremel), and so I took him to the vet to have them hulled (and to have his nails clipped as he will no longer let me do this either). Anyway, the vet told me that I can't walk him on pavement, ever, not even with his Thera-Paws booties. She also told me that I should consider wall-to-wall carpeting for my entire house, which really isn't an option for us, for a number of reasons.

So I just ordered him four Cushy-Paws booties, which are Thera-Paw slippers, padded like the originals, but they're for inside. I'm just wondering: has anyone else tried these? Does anyone else have their dogs wear shoes all the time?

I've tried pretty much everything over the years--at least I think I have. I've tried the duct tape (worked for one dog for about a year then stopped), Dremeling on a regular basis (also worked at keeping them at bay but isn't an option for this dog), the stuff from Murray's Apothecary (seemed to work on one dog but not this one).

I'm not sure why Wyatt's corns have gotten so bad when my other grey, Penny, has had her corns pretty much disappear).

Any other frustrated corn dog owners out there? Anyone tried Cushy-paws?

unless it's amputation of the toes, corn removal surgery is useless. Remy had corn removal surgery and the stupic corn came back within six months.... and he got a second on the other front foot as well... With Wyatt having corns on all four feet, I would not consider corn removal surgery or amputation... it's too much... I would bring him to the vet to do routine hulling and wear the cushy paws all the time if you see they help him... TheraPaw booties certainly help Remy with his corns.... and I just learned how to hull them myself at Dewey... so I'll be saving $150 pop for vet hulling....

Good luck with Wyatt's pain mgmt...

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest 8fleetfeet

I agree about surgery; it's useless since the corns almost always come back.

I saw a fellow greyhound-owner the other night, and we were discussing the corn thing, and she said that she swears by causticum (a holistic supplement) for one of her dogs. This doesn't really make sense to me since the corns are supposed to be a mechanical--not viral, which is what people used to think--problem. On the other hand, I'll try pretty much anything that I haven't already tried.

Anyone else tried causticum?

I got the cushy-paws slippers for my Mariah and we use them to walk outside and they are holding up very well. I do recommend them. Even though she has corns on all feet we only have the slippers for the front paws as those are the worst ones. She does not wear them in the house. Gh rescue did surgery prior to our adopting her and we would not do it again as the corns came back and she could hardly walk while her feet were healing. We would have to carry her outside to go potty. We are using a Chinese herb called hot hoof, powder 1/2 t. per meal. Have not seen any difference.

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I have a pair of Cushy Paws slippers for MoMo and I do like them. They are washable and very durable. They seem to help her limp less indoors.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Gotta disagree about claiming surgery is useless--I've seen very successful surgery's. I do agree it would be a last resort however. When a dog becomes so painful were the quality of life becomes questionable then, surgery should be considered.