This recall includes products sold through COSTCO, TARGET, TRADER JOE'S, WHOLE FOODS, and MANY other stores. These products were distributed nationwide (from one plant) under many names including grocery or chain store private label names. Please see recall list below, and do not give these recalled peanut butter products (or other nut products) to your hounds.

This new October 2012 recall now includes ALL products made from this plant since March 2010.

FDA's Recall List October 4, 2012:

http://www.fda.gov/S...rce=govdelivery

2010? Peanut butter doesn't last that long in this household! I have 1/2 of one jar of Kirkland PB that's on this list - obviously there isn't a problem with this particular jar or the other jar in the package :blink: Thanks for the update. Scary to realize that one plant can produce so many products.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

2010? Peanut butter doesn't last that long in this household! I have 1/2 of one jar of Kirkland PB that's on this list - obviously there isn't a problem with this particular jar or the other jar in the package :blink: Thanks for the update. Scary to realize that one plant can produce so many products.

Same here re: current Kirkland peanut butter jars, but we'll return ours. Just because some healthy people (or healthy dogs) are not symptomatic for Salmonella doesn't mean the food is safe for everyone (or our dogs) to consume. It's still recommended to return (or discard) items listed in this recall. FDA and Sunland recognize that by expanding this recall some older products are nearing (or past) "Best by" dates, but some people may still have affected products on their kitchen shelves.

Per FDA's news release: "Older adults, infants and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness from Salmonella infection." This statement could include sensitive/elderly dogs.

Like Pam mentioned, over time dog food recalls were widely expanded from one plant. Also, recalls often expand by manufacture dates as FDA continues plant and food inspections. (I was informed this peanut butter plant does food safety testing every 30 minutes. It's unsettling their testing process repeatedly missed Salmonella. Seems Trader Joe's initially discovered this Salmonella problem.)

Did you make note of this:

All jars will be stamped with: The “Best-if-Used-By” Dates stamped on the recalled products will be March 1, 2011

I assume most people don't have peanut butter that was supposed to be used 18 months ago sitting in the cupboards.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Did you make note of this:

All jars will be stamped with: The “Best-if-Used-By” Dates stamped on the recalled products will be March 1, 2011

I assume most people don't have peanut butter that was supposed to be used 18 months ago sitting in the cupboards.

It says best used by dates of March 1, 2011 OR LATER which would seem to mean if you have 18 month old peanut butter in your pantry you don't have to worry about salmonella.....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Eesh! I just now saw this. I bought a jar of Market Pantry peanut butter at Target (it's a Target brand, but it's not Archer Farms) a couple days ago, ate a couple spoonfuls, and have been using it to get Eli to take his pills. The expiration date is 21 August 2013. I can't for the life of me figure out how to read the recall information. Can anyone tell me if we're safe or if I should take the jar back and be on the lookout for salmonella symptoms?

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Eesh! I just now saw this. I bought a jar of Market Pantry peanut butter at Target (it's a Target brand, but it's not Archer Farms) a couple days ago, ate a couple spoonfuls, and have been using it to get Eli to take his pills. The expiration date is 21 August 2013. I can't for the life of me figure out how to read the recall information. Can anyone tell me if we're safe or if I should take the jar back and be on the lookout for salmonella symptoms?

"Currently" it appears "Market Pantry" brand peanut butter NOT affected by this recall. (Archer Farms IS affected.)

FDA is still adding new peanut butter recalls daily (including peanut butter ice creams, cookies, bakery items, etc.) with nut butter ingredients distributed from same plant in New Mexico, USA. If you're concerned about "Market Pantry", I'd suggest calling Target/Market Pantry's corporate offices to learn their manufacturing source for your item#.

(Initially, Costco said our store areas' Kirkland peanut butter was not included in this recall, but when I asked which plant made my product, Costco confirmed it was manufactured at same plant in New Mexico (different equipment line). A few days later, I received FDA's revised notice of same plant's massive recall expansion going back to 2010. This includes our recent purchase of Costco's Kirkland peanut butter.)

"Pill Pockets" or ground canned dog food are good alternatives (of many) if needed to medicate hounds.

A pill popper tool, aka: "pill gun" works great. Entirely Pets (on-line) sells them for about $2 to $3. Works well for dogs and cats.