I'm Worried

Guest JustGreyt05

Guest JustGreyt05

My grey has some moderate to severe separation anxiety. We consulted with a behaviorist and began making progress. Then, last year, one of my family members was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and I couldn't handle any more emotional stress like working on SA training while worrying that my neighbors would leave another angry note about the dog crying and get us evicted. So I began taking him to day care during the day and whenever I was gone. Long story short, they were letting him stay for free and let me pick drop off and pick up after hours. Company policy is cracking down on charity services. I got an email today that he can't stay for free anymore and I have to drop off/pick up during normal hours. I've always appreciated their generosity and I understand why they've changed their policy but I am really worried about leaving him home all of a sudden since I can't afford day care.

This is such a disaster. He is supposed to be starting a food trial too (potato and venison only.... nothing else.) That'll have to be pushed back for now. I guess this weekend I will do some video taping of him alone to see how bad he is and email his behaviorist for advise on starting SA training again after he hasn't been left alone AT ALL for 12 months. I knew this day would come. I know doggie day care has been a band aid for the problem. Still, it has been a lot easier on both of us.

What has me most worried is that my neighbors will report him to the office if he cries and howls when I am gone and will want me to get rid of him. I think I'll speak to them and let them know what's going on.

This has me very worried and stressed. Think I should pay the $45 a week that I can't afford for day care or risk pissing off my neighbors by re-starting the SA alone training?

Alone training that is carried out appropriately and gradually enough should not involve any noise that would upset your neighbors since the goal is to leave and come back before he ever gets upset. Can you swing the cost of day care for a few months while you work on the alone training? And maybe talk to your vet (is your behaviorist a vet?) about medication like Reconcile or Clomicalm? I find the generics usually work too if cost is a factor, and my first choice is fluoxetine (generic Prozac/Reconcile). With the combination of medication and a consistent desensitization (ie. alone training) protocol, you can see significant improvement in as little as 6-8 weeks.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If it has been a year since he was left alone in the house, you may find that he is no longer so anxious about being left alone there. His home is now a familiar and safe place to him. He no longer should have that initial anxiety or fear that comes from being left alone in a strange place.

Practice alone training - giving a special treat (like a frozen peanut-butter kong) to him when you step out the door. Think of this as a schedule change, and your boy may come to like his new daytime routine of watching TV, taking uninterrupted naps and playing living room speed bump.

My first greyhound had separation anxiety. And I had the chewed door frames, missing formica from my counter tops ...etc to show for it. It didn't last forever (!) and Pup was able to "grow" out of it with age and as he gained trust in us. Try to remember that dogs CAN get over severe SA.

Dogs really pick up on our attitudes and emotions. Try to have a positive attitude when you walk out the door, and make it no big deal when you return. If you tell the dog it is OKAY and mean it - they will start to believe you. Try to set your hound up for success by avoiding things that stress him out (like being locked in a crate for example - if the dog doesn't like it), I have found I like baby-gates to confine dogs better, and since they can see around the house, they settle down faster when you leave them.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I love what Fountain Lady said, especially about picking up on our stress. You seem freaked out already, and nothing has even happened! Your dog is going to feel that if you leave the first time EXPECTING problems.

$45 a WEEK for day care? Wow. I think it's more like $25 a day here.

George had really bad SA when I first got him. He got over it. He doesn't make a peep anymore! Lots of exercise before work, and his favorite peanut butter Kong, and it's all good!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I love what Fountain Lady said, especially about picking up on our stress. You seem freaked out already, and nothing has even happened! Your dog is going to feel that if you leave the first time EXPECTING problems.

$45 a WEEK for day care? Wow. I think it's more like $25 a day here.

George had really bad SA when I first got him. He got over it. He doesn't make a peep anymore! Lots of exercise before work, and his favorite peanut butter Kong, and it's all good!

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 7 months later...
Guest HannahWEdwards

Its true they can get over it - though I have never tried all day. How long do you need it to be. Comi calm is working (with behaviour training) it seems - It is so important to do the walking before if it is a long wait back.

I can feel your stress. I have been there too and and its a hard one to shake it really is. Sometimes you build up an association of stress to a dog that has SA (like they 'associate' things) ROFL. Or you get secondary trauma. To be honest I never really made it past this but if you see my other post you will see what I have had to do. Not going into it here.

My insurance covered dogs drugs but it looks like I won't need them all now. You can buy a months supply off of me if you want! lol.

Don't let the dog stress you out. Its really important for you and the dog.

Guest cwholsin

I would definitely suggest talking to the people you're concerned about. Stress that you only need a temporary allowance for a higher noise level while you train him to be okay. If you take care of your stress about getting in trouble, you'll be a lot calmer about leaving your pup. You can also see if a friend/fellow greyhound owner may be able to take your dog for some of the time so he isn't alone all day. Good luck, and hopefully your situation will calm down some.

Edited by cwholsin