For Those Of You Thinking About Dog Doors (Not A Sad Story--Just Annoy

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

We've had a dog door for several years. I have locks on my gates to provide some security. I knew there was a risk of injury etc... but my dogs are pretty settled and easy and man oh man was it convenient! Plus, we have an older male who seems to need to go out a lot--so it's been very handy.

EXCEPT... one of my girls has taken up a new hobby this year--digging. (she's eight years old--who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?) ARG!! At first it was just small holes against the house, but today I found an enormous one agains/under the fence. It wasn't there two days ago when I was last on that side of the yard picking up poo (that area is around the side of the house where it's not visible from the patio). This was probably thirty minutes of digging away from a huge escape route for my dogs. SUGH a naughty girl. ARG again!

So after years of doggy-door laziness, we're going to be back to crating and hurrying home to let dogs out and "when did the dogs go out last?" and "Did everybody go pee before bed?" ...Sigh.

So, be warned, my friends... there's no such thing as a free lunch (or something. I don't even know the moral to the story-ha!)

Guest giantsfan

We don't have a dog door, but I have read of others on GT who put chickenwire (i think) under the fence to prevent the tunnel escapes.

And both of ours suddenly took up digging this year too, they are 8 also. Maybe it is like the terrible twos in greyhound years??

Sounds like there's yet another hound on GT whose first name is "Damnit!" :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest reneern120

OMG. NOW i am nervious!! I WORK 12 HOUR SHIFTS AND I HAVE TO HAVE THE DOGGY DOOR

MY NEW GIRL LILLY DIGS BUT SHE HAS NEVER TRIED TO DIG UNDER THE FENCE!! I SURE HOPE SHE DOES NOT START!!

Maybe try lining the ground with chicken wire? You'll be surprised how well it works, and it'll put your mind at ease.

muskrat6.jpg

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest Jacks_Human

Maybe try lining the ground with chicken wire? You'll be surprised how well it works, and it'll put your mind at ease.

muskrat6.jpg

One of my mum's huskies was a legendary burrower, and the buried chicken wire along the bottom of the fence helped a lot. We also put rocks over the chicken wire, to lessen the appeal (and ease) of digging even more.

We don't have a doggie door - too worried about someone getting IN our house. It's a good thing too since our grey girl Celeste LOVES to dig holes. We're constantly having to check on her when she is outside for longer than usual.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Maddie diggs as well and it is annoying. When I am cutting the grass one of my feet will at least once go into her holes and you will hear me say out loud Dam it Maddie. Her landscaping company is going to be called Dam it Maddie Landscaping. When we go to the beach where she should be digging she does not.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest SillyIzzysMom

hahaha! Glad to know I don't have the only late-in-life hooligan! Damn it, Stella!!

Sadly our fence is a wrought-iron one and our yard is large (when we bought this house, the lot next door was selling cheap so we bought it partly so the dogs would have a nice yard and partly to keep a house from going up right next to ours--they're really crammed together in this neighborhood). I think the chicken wire thing just might get the neighborhood association riled up (besides...that would be a LOT of chicken wire.) and replacing the fence isn't an option unless we win the lottery.

I think it will work out for the best--we've been taking about adopting a cat (we lost ours a year ago) and already I'd been having to come up with a complex situation where the door would be closed when I was home and the cat was free in the house, and open when I was gone and the cat locked up in the back part of the house (to prevent her going out the doggy door). I lost our last one by letting him use the doggy door, I really really don't want to have that happen again.

Last night, the two most likely to pee at night (my naughty girl and my old man) slept in crates in my room and the angel out loose--and everything went fine. It's funny, all the "does anybody have to go?" trips the the yard again...the un-dogdoor training is a lot like house training a new hound. ha!

Hey, maybe we can even have nice stuffies now? My old man loved to carry them all out into the yard, so right now they're all "outside stuffies" bedgraggled and icky. The girls would probably enjoy having toys inside!