Joint Pain

Guest mackenzielyn

Guest mackenzielyn

My greyhound Fiona is 6 years old, she broke her right hind leg while racing over 2.5 years ago. I've noticed a little more stiffness in her leg the last few weeks (it usually only bothers her in the winter). I've tried different glucosamine supplements from petsmart, but nothing has seemed to make a big difference. Anyone have any suggestions on something that may help her??

I would ditch the joint supplements purchased from pet smart and try a standardized supplement--ie Nutramax. I have been happy with Dasaquin w/msm. You may also need to use a NSAID as needed for those bad days.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Products/Dasuquin-for-dogs.aspx

Edited by tbhounds

Zoe broke her hock racing 7 years ago. Cold weather and damp weather both aggravate it. In addition to a glucosamine supplement (I use ActiFlex), she gets a theraputic dose (v. maintenance) of fish oil (worked up gradually) and yucca intensive during the cold, damp months. If she is really bad, I give her an NSAID, but not that often. She also gets regular walks and a weekly playgroup, so she is in good physical health. I also keep her weight down to lessen stress on her legs. I tried wrapping that leg in the winter to provide extra warmth, but she didn't tolerate that at all.

This has worked rather well for her. But, she is 11 going on 2 and doesn't let being gimpy slow her down - she just runs weird. When I first got her, my vet recommended that she not run at all to avoid stress on that leg. After a couple years of that, the other vet in the practice told me to let her do what makes her happy - which is to run around chasing lures and tennis balls. I do limit the amount of time and try to end the sessions before she stresses herself too much.

I feel for you! It's hard to balance letting them enjoy themselves and trying to prevent discomfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Several things might help. Try and see what works best. The Springtime Health supplements are great-Fresh Factors & advanced joint health. They love Fresh Factors but not so much the advanced joint health caps but they help. Also DGP pills are very effective as is Duralactin-and they like Duralactin chewabel tabs. Then you can go with Traumeel also-either pills or tincture. I use the tincture-they get 10 drops at a time. And don't forget yucca is also effective but there is a possible issue with long term yucca use?

dante2zoe: do you use regular fish oil humans take?? What is a therapeutic dose for a greyhound?? She weighs 63lbs.

Thanks!!

It is my understanding (based on a post from another thread) that the maintenance dose is 300 mg of EPA and DHA combined per 30 lb of dog. The specific amounts of each is listed on the back label of your fish oil supplement and is not the amount listed on the front label itself. The theraputic dose is 300 mg of EPA and DHA combined per 10 lb of dog.

So, if my math is correct, you would need 1800 mg of EPA and DHA for your dog for a theraputic dose, but only 600 mg for a maintenance dose.

I would build up slowly because too much too fast can cause tummy upset or loose stools. Dante was never able to tolerate the theraputic dose, so he got as much as he could handle. Zoe has a cast iron system and hasn't had any issues at all.

Good luck! If you need to commiserate, send me a PM. :)

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Please check out Greyhound Gang's line of natural supplements http://www.greyhoundgang.org/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=38.

They're good for your pup and part of the proceeds (or maybe all?) goes to the hounds.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".