Need Food Suggestions - Allergies To Certain Foods

Rustyroo

My in-laws have a puppy (beagle mix) that was just diagnosed with certain food allergies. She has been tested and is allergic to Barley, Corn, Peas, Potatoes, Pork and Salmon so far. Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of dog food they could try?

I did suggest that they may want to look into feeding her a raw diet, but I think they will want to explore other dry options first.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Check out the Precise line of dog foods. Either Precise Foundation (chicken meal and rice) or Precise Sensicare (lamb and rice) may work, but double check the ingredients list first. I don't recall the exact list. Rocket has been on Precise Foundation for quite a while now and does well on it. They are both highly digestible.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest WhiteWave

Maybe Nature's Logic Beef or Venison formula? It does have porcine blood, but my dog with allergies to pork could eat it.

Tuscan Natural Lamb and rice. Very simple basic ingredients. Haven't tried this formula, but I have one dog eating their grain free line and the cat is eating their grain free cat food and doing very well.

My understanding is that testing for food allergies is not terribly accurate.

What kind of test are you talking about?

I don't know what test was done. All I know is what my MIL told me and she said that "Lexie was tested" and she was allergic to those items I listed.

So maybe she's not as allergic as we think?

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

My understanding is that testing for food allergies is not terribly accurate.

What kind of test are you talking about?

I don't know what test was done. All I know is what my MIL told me and she said that "Lexie was tested" and she was allergic to those items I listed.

So maybe she's not as allergic as we think?

A little quick research suggests that 1) they need to have a canine dermatologist test the dog; 2) test the blood, and: 3) skin testing. Unless BOTH tests are done, I don't think they'll get a terrible accurate diagnosis. "Tested" could mean they tried her on some food the vet suggested and she didn't do well!

I had a friend with a Bulldog who got allergy shots every month after he had been REALLY tested. They can create shots for dogs just like they do for people! Not sure if that's true for FOODs. but poor Rocky was allergic to a lot of stuff and the shots were a life saver.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck