Prednisone & Panting

Hello,

Haven't been on here in a while. Our Andy has been diagnosed with Larangeal Paralysis. Surgery wasn't an option as he is terrifed of clinical settings... nearly died at the consult for the potential LP surgery. So we are managing him with acupuncture, and a drug called doxepin. He was doing great until yesterday when he started dry coughing. Vet came to the house to see him and said his heart and lungs sound good, but there is a little wheeze in his exhale. She has prescribed prednisone. He is 85 pounds and the dose that she started him on is 2, 5 mg pills every 12 hours. So that's 10mg every 12 hours. She said this is low as normal doses start at 1mg/kg which would be 20mg every 12 hours.

Anyway, I am terrified to give it to him because it can cause him to pant and with LP, panting is the LAST thing in the world we want to happen.

Any advice would be appreciated on the doseage or alternatives.

Thanks

eva

he's been on doxepin for two months... from what I understand it's three weeks max to see if it's working. I think it's working in the sense that he is breathing a little better... but the dry coughing started yesterday. vet thinks it's inflamation and recommends a weaning dose over three weeks to bring down the inflammation.

He just had another coughing attack, so I caved and gave him .25mg to start. it's a double edged sword - he can't cough forever, but i don't want him panting either.

having gone through osteo with two hounds before I thought I was stong enough to live through anything... but LP is completely different and maybe even worse monster ;(

Guest alannamac

I can't remember the dosage for the pred but I did put my grey Bandit on them in the exact same situation as you.

Advanced LP, an elderly pup who was terrified of the vet and had a great deal of difficulty breathing when an exam was

needed. The series of consult exams and overnight surgery and further overnight possibility at a distant vet hospital just seemed like a poor plan given his temperment and age. I feel for you, it is such a hard thing to treat and try to judge when it's time to let go.

The pred was definitely only a once a day pill and it really helped him to breathe an extraordinary amount better. I am certain he

would've died without it. For reference he was 70 lbs and I'm guessing it was a 5 mg tab. It really helped increase his appetite too.

He was just a few months shy of his 13th birthday when he just became too uncomfortable with the LP. He was no longer sleeping on his dog beds, hard floor only and bracing himself in awkward positions to get the best air. That's when we knew it was time as he was suffering.

Sorry, this was more than you asked for but LP is a really tough one to go through and thought you might like a few more details.

Anyway in his case, the prednisone was life saving.

Wishing you and your pup many more happy times together.

Guest Flaco25

Our girl is on pred. She takes 40 mlg per day. We were very hesitant about increasing the dosage. The vet said trust me on this one, and he was right. It was the only thing that got her walking again.

Pred is one of those that you hate and love...side effects are bad but it really helps. Panting is a side effect for sure.

The dosage suggested for you is low...I would go for it. Make sure water is available at all times, they get thirsty.

Good luck!

I can't remember the dosage for the pred but I did put my grey Bandit on them in the exact same situation as you.

Advanced LP, an elderly pup who was terrified of the vet and had a great deal of difficulty breathing when an exam was

needed. The series of consult exams and overnight surgery and further overnight possibility at a distant vet hospital just seemed like a poor plan given his temperment and age. I feel for you, it is such a hard thing to treat and try to judge when it's time to let go.

The pred was definitely only a once a day pill and it really helped him to breathe an extraordinary amount better. I am certain he

would've died without it. For reference he was 70 lbs and I'm guessing it was a 5 mg tab. It really helped increase his appetite too.

He was just a few months shy of his 13th birthday when he just became too uncomfortable with the LP. He was no longer sleeping on his dog beds, hard floor only and bracing himself in awkward positions to get the best air. That's when we knew it was time as he was suffering.

Sorry, this was more than you asked for but LP is a really tough one to go through and thought you might like a few more details.

Anyway in his case, the prednisone was life saving.

Wishing you and your pup many more happy times together.

Thanks so much for sharing. Your situation sounds exactly like ours and it looks like we had the same mindset when it came to treatment.

Andy is overall super happy. Even before this, he was a dog that preferred to just stay at home. He is eating well, able to jump up two stairs clearing about triple that, so his back end isn't too terrible yet. But he does have muscle loss and shakiness. walks are no longer an option. We have about an acre, so he is able to meander the yard and then just go in when he's ready.

I am on the LP list and they have been so helpful, but since he hasn't had the surgery, I find we are stuck dealing with general drug interactions rather than post op problems so that is why I turned to GT.

Andy has no problem eating. He is ready for breakie and dinner and his secret bed time snack that none of the other dogs know about.

I gave him .25mg about an hour ago.

How long does it take to kick in if the dose is effective. I am wondering if that dose will be too low for anything - good or bad - to happen.

Flaco25 - water in both kitchen and living room, so we are good!

quick question, how warm is it in your house??? crank up the ac, get it down to 70(f) and put a fan on- and see if there is a change. my welsh had l.p. and a/c was the answer for him when i used to leave him at the vet- the boarding kennel was in the 60's(F)-( he never suffered there) since we couldn't take him anywhere when it was hot and humind. one night we thought that we were going to loose him, the fan and ac brought him back to life!

i hope this is a quick fix.

the pred dose does not seem that high. pred will basically send messages to the body to stop producing the cells that are a response of an irritant. dogs/humans can be weaned off really quickly. if it isn't abused it works wonders.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest alannamac

Well, with Bandit I noticed a definite ease in his ability to breathe within 2 days. It was so noticeable that I really pushed to keep him on the steroids. My vet was not so comfortable with the choice. If I remember correctly, the longer they are on steroids, the less likely the tieback surgery is to work. The tissues in the area become more fragile and the tieback tends to tear and the LP relapse.

If surgery is a "maybe" in your thoughts, check with your vet to make sure you don't pass a point of no return.

Also, depending on the dose....steroids can make them need to pee more often. That may be a comfort issue as well with your pup if going in and out of the house has become more difficult.

With the low dose Bandit was on, I didn't notice an increase in his need to pee. (in his previous times on steroids for injuries, he was on much higher doses, and frequent bathroom breaks including middle of the night potty runs were necessary). Not the case with the LP dose.

Guest alannamac

quick question, how warm is it in your house??? crank up the ac, get it down to 70(f) and put a fan on- and see if there is a change. my welsh had l.p. and a/c was the answer for him when i used to leave him at the vet- the boarding kennel was in the 60's(F)-( he never suffered there) since we couldn't take him anywhere when it was hot and humind. one night we thought that we were going to loose him, the fan and ac brought him back to life!

i hope this is a quick fix.

the pred dose does not seem that high. pred will basically send messages to the body to stop producing the cells that are a response of an irritant. dogs/humans can be weaned off really quickly. if it isn't abused it works wonders.

Yup, the colder you can keep it the happier your pup will be. Maybe even a separate room with a portable ac just for the pup?

We were having heat waves in the 100s for weeks last year and it was just awful trying to get Bandit out for a short break to go to the bathroom. It was so hard on him, but get him back in the house at 65 and he was bouncing like a youngster. Unfortunately keeping things that cool was very hard! I did notice that the previous winter before diagnosis, he didn't want his jammies on in the house, and I would find him panting when it was only 65-68F, which to me was pretty darned chilly.

IIf you can make it to the cooler outdoor temps, your pup will probably be able to go outside much longer and start to enjoy walkies again as well.

If it's humid where you are a dehumidifier helps a lot comfort wise too for their breathing.

thanks everyone. my hydro bill is a testament to how cold the house is. it's been set to 24C since May! Actually, it's too cold, but we keep it like this for Andy. Dog sitter was there today at lunch and said the whole gang was good. Andy coughed a few times, but no panting.

I have been giving him 2.5mg every 12 hours. will see how he is tonight and think about going up to 5mg every 12 hours.

Tie back surgery is not an option, so I don't need to worry about that.

You can try cough suppressants like hycodan or tussigon.

That's what I would try first. Aggie took 10mg pred once a day and it just melted her away. Everyday there was a little less Aggie until she became so feeble with no muscle etc. Right wrong or necessary it was still heart breaking to watch. So pred is a extreme last resort for me.

thanks everyone. my hydro bill is a testament to how cold the house is. it's been set to 24C since May! Actually, it's too cold, but we keep it like this for Andy. Dog sitter was there today at lunch and said the whole gang was good. Andy coughed a few times, but no panting.

I have been giving him 2.5mg every 12 hours. will see how he is tonight and think about going up to 5mg every 12 hours.

tempt. sounds good to me, but CHECK the increase in dosage w/ you VET! doesn't cost anything to call!

tempt. sounds good to me, but CHECK the increase in dosage w/ you VET! doesn't cost anything to call!

she wanted me to start with 10 mg every 12 hours. So I know that going up to 5mg every 12 hours is okay. however, I have stuck with 2.5. The coughing is almost completely gone, but he is breathing more rapidly and panting when up and about. Drinking a little more than normal, but seems comfortable. Will see how tomorrow goes.