Vestibular - How Long Does It Last?

My Marilyn who is 11 1/2 started with vestibular symptoms two weeks ago. I took her to my vet and he was fairly certain it was vestibular. She is much improved and a lot steadier on her feet now and doesn't have the head tilt all the time. Sometimes though she has the tilt when she first stands up, but then she is better. I thought this resolved in a few days to a week. Anyone have it last longer than two weeks? She just looks a bit off to me still. She didn't have it so bad that it kept her from eating, but she has lost a few pounds. She seems to be sleeping more. She started with this two weeks ago and it scared me half to death. I thought she had a stroke or something.

I had it with my old lab cross, and she was never quite the same. She ended up having it in both ears, which is very rare, but it did cure the tilt. Something permanent happens in the ear, and the brain mostly compensates, but not entirely. You may have to watch her on uneven ground. They just seem to go with gravity... the back end tends to swing out. Good luck to you and your girl.

Guest Dragon

Vestibular problems in people can be very tricky, and I imagine it's the same way in dogs. Depending on the cause, there can be permanent damage. However, it's not going to be a fatal problem, just an annoying one...

We have a friend with a white GSD who has a chronic vestibular syndrome. They have both learned to manage with it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Meeka was almost 12 when she had a major vestibular event. I thought it was a stroke. The vet said that it should get a lot better in a few days, but that there could be long lasting effects. She was able to stand on the second day, and was able to walk that night. The head tilt became less, but remained to a lesser degree for a couple of weeks. She did lose some weight. She never came back 100%. Her gait remained a bit "off", and her head tilt still showed up at times. She was aware of that, and would shake her head to resolve it.

She lived a year beyond that, and never had another episode.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I am calling the vet this week to check. She is a lot better than she was the first week. Better on her feet now. She lost some of her vitality or something. Can't quite put my finger on it. Do ear infections contribute to this? I clean her ears more than the others. Just has that yucky hear thing at times. She also goes for an adjustment every two months for problems with her neck and hips. I was thinking of doing a dental on her, but I am going to wait. Her teeth could use a polishing, but she had one 14 months ago. Her blood work is good.

Mimi was greatly improved after about 2 weeks, but I think it took over a month before she was almost completely back to normal. The head tilt lingered slightly for a month or so.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05