Bambi Has A Brain Tumour

Guest melodymaker

Guest Downtownhoundz

Oh gosh, I feel for you as you travel down this path with your girl. I was where you are three years ago and spent 4200.00 trying to save my beloved Kylie. In the end she just couldn't fight anymore. Sending many, many hugs to you and your sweet girl.

Sending many hugs :grouphug

I personally would not put a 9 yr old thru anything heroic nor would I put them thru a study. Eat lots of ice cream and take pictures.

I agree. Hugs to you & your hound

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest melodymaker

Hello Everyone, I'm a new member and wonderered if anyone out there has experience of my lovely 9 year old greyhound's predicament - she has been diagnosed via MRI scan with a brain tumour (probably a meningioma) and hydrocephalus (water on the brain, apparently). She has lost 6 kg since June and lost the use of her left foreleg prior to the vet putting her on steroids a couple of weeks ago. The dilemma is this - she is much happier now on steroids and definitely enjoying a quality of life again, although this can only last a short while. I've seen a lot of vets up to this point, but now she's been diagnosed both surgeons have stressed the facts that an operation may not extend her life, as they don't know if the cancer has spread, etc and she may die on the table or soon after, while the absolute best case scenario is 12 months of life but with a reduced faculty at best, she may require radiography - the nearest place for which is 110 miles away.

Do I want to put Bambi through all that trauma, not to mention myself and my family, I'm asking and of course, although I'm taking this out the equation in terms of what's best for Bambi, There is a huge cost and time implication involved.

Friends and fellow animal lovers are of the opinion that we should spend all the time we can with Bambi while she's well enough, then let her go,- I have already found out that Bam's local vet will come to the house and put her to sleep on her own sofa, which is a real comfort all round. I know that dogs pick up on stressed owners too and get upset?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and experiences.

Many thanks

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_5317170', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_5317170', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '5317170' }, parseInt('') );

You have numerous responses to the same post in the Soap Box section already. You should use the Report link at the bottom of your post to ask a moderator to move that post to the Health and Medical section so that your replies are consistent and in one place. This will help to eliminate confusion from those responding.

I'm sorry that you and your hound are going through this. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest melodymaker

Hello Everyone,

I'll start by saying how grateful I am for all your kindness, wisdom and knowledge, so carefully expressed and so supportive that I feel stronger for the first time since all this began. To fill in the gaps: Bambi and I are in Nottingham, UK, but I joined your site because I am so impressed with the information exchange and humanity I found here. We've had a little bit of luck in that I took Bam yesterday to see a second surgeon who is a Professor of Neurology (Mike Targett) in the next County to me. He was guarded in his prognosis and made it clear that at 9 years old (I didn't realise this is a signifcant age for greys) Bam may die of something else unrelated, during the possible months that surgery could buy her. There is also the risk that the Cancer has already spread (I have noticed Bam's tummy making alarming gurgling noises, but her 6kg weight loss since June could just be due to the tumour itself, Mike says).

The question of radiography is there but the fractionated type that Bam would need is only available in Essex or Liverpool, a 200 mile round trip for a few days each week over a month. Of course I would be stressed by all this and Bambi would then pick up on this, plus she would need minor anaesthetics each time, which may be cumulatively risky? That said, it could buy her some time at considerable expense to the Bank of Jane (my new credit card is melting!) I've also noted with relief how non-judgmental your members seem to be about cost implications as a factor, because in the UK my lack of insurance was met with implications that I am a bad greyhound parent, despite already spending over £1000 on MRIs, consults, etc. I honestly think now, with all this infomation exchange, that taking the finance out of the equation leaves me with a decision based on kindness all round - I noted that one poster spent over $4000 and still lost her beloved grey.

The real quandary is that Bam is well in herself right now for the first time in months - she is enjoying her life again and has been so patient with all the medical things I've put her through. We carried her into the surgeon who did her MRI scan a couple of weeks ago and she is now able to go on little walks and enjoy playing again, etc - bliss for us too. I spoke yesterday to a conventional vet who is also an holistic vet to see if she could help with perhaps maintaining Bam's current health for as long as possible, in conjunction with her steroids and perhaps buy her the time that medical interventions might offer, however long or short they may be, at least we would be less stressed and able to spend time enjoying our time together, as a lot of you suggest.

This vet mentioned Mistletoe extract and a rawfood diet for dogs to help boost the immune system and thus hold off the Cancer for as long as possible (www.honeysrealdogfood.com) A visit to this vet is a 150 mile round trip once only, then telephone advice, so seems reasonable as Bam is well at present. I also have Bam's own very local vet who could provide palliative medications and ultimately put Bam to sleep in her bed when her time comes. That worried me a little, John F, when you said you'd been bitten by your poorly grey - my Mum is 82 and lives next door, so I will have to be extra vigilant.

I was going to ask what signs to look for that the end is near and another poster has supplied them - thank you so much.

My Dad died of bowel cancer having been nursed at home and he was only given 6 months to live, yet survived in relative comfort for nearly two years and we kept him on a very healthy diet throughout.

My elder brother comes home tomorrow and we will then make a decision as to the best way forward for all of us, but to put everything in context, I had an email from a lovely vet I contacted in desperation earlier this year when no one here had any answers pre-MRI and he told me the story of one of his greys who at 7 had cancer. Rather than opt for medical intervention he gave her his time and they spent lots of happy hours together instead. Another friend sent me a newspaper article about human doctors both in the US and the UK who invariably opt for a peaceful, non surgical/medically intervened death when their time comes. Food for thought ................... I'll keep you posted as to developments and thanks again for being so great. Any further thoughts gratefully received. PS I've posted Bambi's story in the health section too, as advised. Love Jane & Bambi xxx

The University trials are of course so necessary as the experts here have told me that there simply isn't enough data to make informed judgements about life expectancies, etc.

Guest melodymaker

I've just contacted the moderator, thank you for this advice and your kind wishes.

Best wishes to you and your hound (s) ................

Jane

I don't have experience with brain tumors in my pets, but just wanted to add my well wishes for you and Bambi. I agree with those who suggested that palliative care and simply enjoying the time you have left together while she is still in relatively good shape is a very valid option in this case. I am doing that very thing now with one of my girls who has osteosarcoma.

I am also pleased to see the other options posted here. Some info I was unaware of which may prove useful to me and other folks in the future. This thread is a pleasant reminder to me of why I love Greytalk.

I hope you and Bambi have many good days left together.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am sorry this is happening to your girl. Having lost two of my hounds within about 7 months of eachother, and having to face that quality of life decision both times (my first greyhound was not ill when he passed, he died from a tragic incident; having to choose for my last two was such a wrenching experience) I hate to see others go thru it. When your beloved is ill; and you know it will take them from you, take every precious minute you can to make memories, spend as much time preparing yourself for what is happening (make any prior arrangements such as the vet coming for a housecall, etc...) Talk to her; tell her you love her, although I am sure she knows, take lots of pictures, make that last trip to her favorite spot. I know to do these things because I forgot a couple of them and then all of the sudden there is no time... No matter what you do to prepare yourself, it is going to hurt like hell; but remember that what you do when you make that final decision is to complete the contract you made with her when you fell in love. It hurts but it's a gift that only you can give; and your promise being fulfilled.

I know, now, that when I see my kids on the other side, they will be thankful for what I did when it hurt the most. Bless you and Brandi and I hope you get that precious gift of more time...

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Friends, being more distant from the coping strategies are giving sound advice here that you will eventually come back to. However, you seem yet to be convinced and that's OK because you want to give your poor dog every chance possible.

When I have had dogs with terminal illnesses I usually take it a week at a time and when respites/remissions are seen I enjoy them with the dog. I ask the vet for an honest opinion on treatments ' 50/50, 100 to 1, or if it was your dog what would you do?) and I ask them to let me know when they think the time to let the dog go to the Bridge is close (ie. a few days).

Underling everything is the idea that it better to let them go a day too soon than a day of misery too late. We all find it possible to make the decision when it becomes necessary.

Sometimes we can feel happier about risky surgery if a teaching hospital does it and so the dog, if unsucessful, hasn't undergone it totally in vain. It's a horrible dilemma that dog lovers will face several times in their lifetimes.

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone!

I am writing to seek advice.

My 11 year old magyar agar (hungarian greyhound and we living in hungary). He is called Buki, just as Bambi was diagnosed via MRI scan with a brain tumour (probably a meningioma) and hydrocephalus (water on the brain).

The tumor approximately 2cm large. On monday it looked we lost him, he woke up in a terrible condition, couldn't walk and very confused eyes he had, tremor from pain and being scared probably. It was a great shock, the evening before we took a nice walk and he vas happy, well, little running playing as usual. MRI clarified the diagnosis. The doctors helped a lot, they are good to us. They say the tumor too big and too diffusive to be operated.

We started the steroid and he got a lot better, now walks quite fine again and has a great appetite as always. Sleeps even a bit more, and getting all the treat I can give him. I have some time to spend with him at home in the autumn, work at home quite much (not all the time).

I have reed all the comment here, and give me some hope to be with him still for a bit. I don't know how to prepare myself to take care as best as possible for him in the time we still can have together. If you have any suggestion how can I do better, or any experience similar to learn from, I am glad to hear.

5 days ago he looked so healthy for his age, he still looks incredible good:

https://www.instagra...p/BYLfrNVgOEc

24 Ago 2017 alle ore 07:18 PDT

Edited by RenDez

What a beautiful dog!

You might want to copy your post above and start a new thread, RenDez. That way more people will see it.

I don't have any advice but wish you and your Buki well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.