'burn' On Neck From Injected Drug

Sid had a nasty couple of weeks recently following a routine dental which involved two extractions - at one time, I thought I was going to lose him - and I suppose I shouldn't complain about this fairly minor thing, but ..

He developed a nasty, hard lump at an injection site. He had many injections, from painkillers, to fluids, to antibiotics, but we think it was injectable cephalexin (Ceporex) that did it. Anyway, eventually the bump reduced but became hard, and 'dimpled' in the middle. The skin in that area became thickened. I talked to the vet on the phone and they said they'd make a note not to give it to him again, but in the meantime I could expect the hair to fall out.

It did, but when it did, the skin came with it leaving a nasty wound, which was clearly infected. I've been bathing it with diluted Hibiscrub (which a vet gave me for rinsing out some infected dermal cysts in another dog, so I figure it's safe to use on this, too) and it's healing. It's scabby now, and the skin is still thickened.

Anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to resolve?

I don't really want to take him back unless absolutely necessary. He's been through a lot, and I'm sick of vets right now. It really isn't the money, but we must have spent nearly £1,500 on the two of them this month (Jeffie has broken a toe and had to have it removed - he's still bandaged) and I'm thinking of asking if I can buy shares! Reaching for the credit card is getting a bit wearisome, though of course, we keep doing it. :rolleyes:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm not familiar with injectable cephalexin, but the OP is in England where there are different meds available. I looked it up, and Ceporex injection is labeled for SQ administration. There's potential for injection site reactions with any medication, and most of the ones I've seen have resolved with time. Hard to say how long it will take or whether this requires additional treatment without seeing it. At this point, it will probably progress like any open wound, and if it is infected and doesn't respond to topical antiseptic therapy, it may need oral antibiotics.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Here's the wound -

SidWound-1.jpg

It is responding - as I said, it's now scabbed over and reducing - but I wondered how long it would take. It doesn't seem to bother him too much, although he dislikes having it handled, of course.

Thanks, Jennifer. I will certainly take him back if it doesn't stop looking infected in two/three days.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ugh-can you clip the wound area? May make for easier cleaning. It looks like the edges are already starting to granulate in. I would think cleaning the site daily and applying an antibiotic ointment like bacterin it will heal rather quickly. Poor bugger-enough already ok?