Fresh Food Suggestions

Guest AceyGrey

Guest AceyGrey

Hi guys.

We've had our boy for a little while now and have only ever added scrambled eggs and sardines, along with a bit of whatever meat we have on a Sunday to his food and sometimes pasta.

All of which he goes crazy for, particularly sardines. In fact he continues to lick the bowl for hours afterwards he loves it so much.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other things that we can add to the rather dull looking kibble?

I'm a new greyhound owner and would very much appreciate any suggestions that anyone has.

I add high quality, no grain, canned food with varying protein sources such as venison, rabbit, duck, buffalo, salmon, shrimp, green tripe etc., as well as raw organ meat - beef and chicken liver, beef heart and kidney, etc.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Cooked green beans, carrots, or brocolli for vegetables. Peel sweet potatoes, slice thin, and cook for about 20 minutes at 325 or so and they turn into "chips". Rice, potatoes, cornmeal, and noodles and you can also give oatmeal, grits, or cereal like cheerios (you have to check sugar content on processed cereal though). You can also give applesauce (no sugar added) and some like cucumbers.

The batch I made today included chicken breasts, sweet potatoes,white potatoes, brown rice, broccoli, eggs, water. I mix this with the kibble along with maybe some cream cheese chunks, peanut butter, cottage cheese or yogurt. The batches vary each time I go shopping :) Tonight they'll get frozen chicken feet as well.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I have added cottage cheese, eggs, canned fish, homemade broth, ground beef with mashed sweet potato, any meat scraps, pasta sauce (no onions), a bit of shredded cheese, yogurt, organ meats, canned dog food or tripe. I change up their diet all the time so things don't become boring :)

Guest bernadette

Question... Turkey necks, organs or any other raw meats... For a dog that's never had them, should those be boiled or is it ok to give raw?

Guest AceyGrey

I haven't experienced any digestive problems as of yet, but Ace normally only gets this kind of fresh food treat 2 or 3 times a week at the minute.

I've heard good things about Greek and Natural Yoghurt.

Question... Turkey necks, organs or any other raw meats... For a dog that's never had them, should those be boiled or is it ok to give raw?

Raw is the way to serve bones - I never serve them cooked bones. Turkey necks can vary in size from 6 - 14" so you may want to start with a smaller, maybe 6" piece. I usually feed them frozen - they are easier to cut with a hacksaw then too. Plus on a hot Arizona day they serve as meat popsicles :) I do the same with chicken backs, necks, feet.

If I feed organs raw and they scoff, but if I grill or cook them they are quite usually satisfied .

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest kahjul

I have a very picky girl (and 1 who eats everything). I don't make any changes to the picky girls diet-she has a funny tummy. What we have found keeps her eating, keeps her poop firm, eliminates gas AND poop eating is: 1# ground beef, 2 cups brown rice, 32oz plain yogurt, 1 large sweet potato, and 4 eggs. I cook the meat, rice and sweet potato, mix together, add in the eggs while the mix is still hot. Cool entire mix and add the yogurt. I divide this into 6 ot 7 containers and freeze it. She goes through 1 container a week added to each meal of kibble. It took about a year, and a lot of trial and error to come up with a mix she would eat that also kept her tummy quiet.

Except for my iffy tummy Rex they have always been on the RAUOL diet - reasonably appropriate use of leftovers. Not a cup of something but a couple of tablespoons.

Their favorite non leftover add ins are tuna and sardines in tomato sauce. They like greens,scrambled eggs, leftover pasta/mac and cheese, broccoli, cooked or canned carrots (they don't like raw) green beans, mashed potatoes. If I have a bit of beef strognoff leftover it goes to them, etc. It is not every day and in small amounts.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Plain 2% Greek Yogurt :)

This is the only regular extra we offer. :)

Peyton gets salmon oil and raw food in the evening so I don't worry too much about keeping things interesting. Maybe because of this we are not much of a 'treat' household. That said, Peyton gets bread, dried cereal, and cheese on very rare occasions.