Sudden Red-Brown Patch Of Hair On Black Hound

Guest mimikay

Guest mimikay

HI My Raina is going to be six this November. Today all of a sudden I noticed she had a reddish brown spot of hair on her back about 2 inches long. My girl is all black with white back paws. I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday. I brush her daily and look over every inch of her. At first I thought it was dirt or a liquid she had gotten into but upon closer inspection, the hair is red-brown from the root up. Is this something I should be worried about? Has anyone experienced this?

It could be that she is about to blow her coat and get a new one... just like leaves on a tree it has to start somewhere.

On the other hand it could be a skin condition starting from mites, bite allergies, other dermatitis, could even be ringworm (in which case the hair will go sparse and the skin get inflamed and scaly.) There is also sebaceous adenitis that starts with an unusual looking patch of hair.

If you don't think it's normal shedding then ask your vet who can take a skin scraping biopsy on the grounds that the sooner you know what it is the fewer prroblems it gets to cause.

I also have a black hound with white tuxedo markings. When the seasons change, particularly late spring and early fall, her coat goes into a transition phase as she sheds off one and grows in another. During this transition, she will often look more reddish-brown than black, only later to reveal a shiny sleek black coat again. Since Raina is only reddish in one spot, are you able to see if her skin looks odd in that area?

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest FullMetalFrank

Non had a reddish brown area about 10" in diameter, just on one side. He was shedding; even thought the area didn't look too fluffy, a few trips with the Furminator and the red hair was gone, shiny black showing thru.