Dandelion For Anxiety?

I noticed the topic about Xanax. Can you really give the dog Xanax? Obviously I'll ask my vet....but I'm not too keen on giving him such potent meds.

Chance is inconsolable during ANY loud bang, as well It got to the point where I sang to him, while rubbing his belly, while laying on the floor in my 1/2 bath. (pic to follow when I get on my laptop...on iPad now). Someone who is pretty dog, not greyhound, savvy told me about Dandelion root. Thunder shirt can keep its money...

What are your thoughts/experience with dandelion root?!

Guest greyaspet

If he is that bad herbal supplements are not going to work. I have 1mg of xanax for my girl and that does NOTHING to help her.

I've used Xanax for long car rides. The first time it helped for a couple of hours. After that, not so much. The thing with Xanax is it's got to be in their system before they get anxious.

Posts on another thread about anxiety give a thumb's up for Calm K-9, a biscuit that has a calming effect. I bought it and it works. I've used it twice and each time Annie Bella's anxiety was only about 10% of what it usually is, and it worked even if she was already anxious.

You have to be careful with "natural" remedies just as you would be with prescriptions. My vet, meaning well, suggested I try Valerian Root on George for anxiety. She heard about it from another vet who was taking it himself to sleep. OK, seems harmless, right? It's a ROOT. Within a month his liver enzymes had gone WAY up. She was all for running a bunch of tests, when I reminded her the ONLY change was the Valerian Root. We stopped giving it to him, and within a few weeks the levels had returned to normal. She no longer suggests Valerian Root for her patients.

Natural does not equal harmless!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest kirstenbergren

I'd be real careful with some of the natural remedies. You never know what could happen like George said. Good luck with everything!