Beet Pulp: How Do You Serve It?

Guest Stardude82

Guest Stardude82

So, I've been supplementing my dog's diets with beet pulp for the last week and it's really been helping with the firmness of their poop. How I've been doing it is pre-mixing the shreds in a 1:2 ratio with water and ketchup then refrigerating it until meal time. Each dog gets a quarter cup with their Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato (about 2 cups each).

This seems to work pretty well. Are there other guidelines people have figured out? Has anybody had any problems with mold and beet pulp?

Edited by Stardude82

Guest Timo

I add two heaping tablespoons of the dry shredded beet pulp to Timo's meals, so he gets four tablespoons a day. I mix his food with a cup of water, so the beet pulp gets a little hydration at the time of consumption. But, Timo actually likes the pulp better when it's dry. He'll eat it as a treat. It's worked really well for him.

Sauteed, on a bed of lettuce. :P

Sorry, too much time watching The Food Network.

When I was using it for Edie, I just put the pellets on her food. She ate them willingly enough. I couldn't stand the smell when I tried to crush or soak them. I think she'd have loved your method. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I bought a big bag of the powdered form, kept it in an airtight container and put a couple of tablespoons in with Raven's meals. It kept for about 2 years, no mold. I'm not sure about the shelf life of the shredded form.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Stardude82

So, I tried just adding combining the shreds in the bowl with water and kibble, and they had no trouble gobbling it all up. No ketchup necessary.

Guest LindsaySF

I always just put it on their kibble and added a little water. I had the shredded kind but I only used the small flakes. None of the dogs ever noticed.

• 1 month later...
Guest CollieKenz

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful 18 month old Collie girl ( I'm quite sure there are some shared greyhound relatives in there somewhere!). Kenzie has had GI-type problems most of her life. I don't know if it's relevant at all, but she was the runt of her litter. Currently she's doing well on the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Fibre dry food to which I add a little home-cooked chicken breast and brown rice 'mush'. I would love to get my hands on a little bit of beet pulp (powdered or shredded) to see if it helps her system, but I'm having trouble locating a place that sells small quantities. I gather that most of the beet pulp comes from the US but does anyone know where I could find some closer to Toronto (or at least somewhere that doesn't require a passport)?

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!

Guest bernadette

The horses LOVE this. We always give it in the winter (great for keeping weight on in the winter months and as a warm up), soaked with warm water. =)

I've not yet fed it to my dog (aside from it being an ingredient in his kibble) but what a great idea!

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful 18 month old Collie girl ( I'm quite sure there are some shared greyhound relatives in there somewhere!). Kenzie has had GI-type problems most of her life. I don't know if it's relevant at all, but she was the runt of her litter. Currently she's doing well on the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Fibre dry food to which I add a little home-cooked chicken breast and brown rice 'mush'. I would love to get my hands on a little bit of beet pulp (powdered or shredded) to see if it helps her system, but I'm having trouble locating a place that sells small quantities. I gather that most of the beet pulp comes from the US but does anyone know where I could find some closer to Toronto (or at least somewhere that doesn't require a passport)?

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!

You might try feeding some of the IAMs green bag and see if that helps as that contains the beet pulp.